News   Jul 26, 2024
 865     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

91 King Street East (Albany Club, 25s, WZMH Architects)

Isn't rent regulated, though? i.e. it can only go up so much per year? And in that case, wouldn't sale prices actually reflect the market value more accurately than rent prices?

Yes. But I have already isolated this by using the lease listing data from MLS. There's no regulation on what price you can ask for a new tenant.

What basic level is that? You people keep making broad, dismissive, statements without any actual deconstruction of what you think is fundamentally wrong in my logic. Oh, and you threw up a straw man argument to boot! Good show!

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me: "hey brockm, I think you're wrong and here is why..." -- but that's not what you're doing. No. What you're doing is "hey brockm, you're wrong. Period."

It's a parallel argument, not a straw man. In my argument the water is an impediment to development and is the cause for high real-estate values in Vancouver. Water parallels heritage districts in that they both serve as limits to growth. Does this mean that the water is the problem? No, the ocean is the draw. Just as historic districts are a draw. Does it make sense to destroy them because they cause scarcity and thus high prices?

What I see as fundamentally wrong with your argument is that it uses rents/land values as it's sole criteria. But even with this narrow criteria, your argument is flawed. Take Tokyo for example, where the process of demolition and redevelopment to higher densities is almost 'organic' (so is cancer); downtown Tokyo rents are the highest in the world. If we redevelop Toronto's historical buildings with highrise as you suggest, as long as Toronto remains the financial centre of Canada, rents will still rise, and depending on a multitude of factors, there will be nothing preventing prices from reaching stratospheric levels. Except perhaps that no-one will actually want to live in the core because it will be so devoid of heart. Retrospectively, in your dystopia one might wonder if the old 'deadwood' buildings might in fact have served to curtail the concentration of density and of wealth.

My problem with historical protectionism is that it is based on emotion romantic notions. Historical protectionism can certainly lead to the preservation of beautiful architecture, but it also leads to more expensive real estate for everyone as density increases.

The living museums that make up a lot of Europe's major cities with extreme historical protectionism that many feel we should emulate, have the effect of restricting city centers to the super rich.

The question is: does historical protection trump the benefits of having urban centers that are affordable to live in? I say no.

What is your goal? Is it to reduce rents? Property values? Speculation? Or is it to diminish the richness of the city?

Last edited:
I happen to know a lot about real estate. In turns out that I have a background in real estate capital markets and, as it turns out, in economics. And in fact, in <a href="#post628272">this post</a>, I make specific mention of the nature of speculation driving real estate prices.

But anyways: there is ample evidence from around the world that historical protectionism has a direct effect on prices. It has been observed by many economists -- for instance, Edward Glaeser who I've already mentioned -- for a very long time.

For anyone who doesn't know the Glaeser argument he's citing, there's a short version of it here: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/11/reservations-about-landmark-preservation/

It's a lousy argument to tie yourself to, if you want to convince us you're a good economist. Glaeser is arguing that preservation is bad, because high real estate prices in historic districts are a sign of artificial scarcity.

Any good economist knows that high prices are EITHER because of low supply or high demand -- the latter of which makes more sense in this case. Prices are high because people value preservation and want to live around it. Even a historic district usually has a few empty lots for redevelopment.

Glaeser knows this. He's being disingenuous I think, to carry forth his more general argument against NIMBYs, and in favour of densification.

Again: I love the way brockm uses the word "protectionism" in lieu of preservation or conservation or any other such common terminology. I think of it as angry code language by those with an axe to grind, along the lines of homophobes who use the term "homosexualist".

Get this straight, brockm. As long as you engage in this "protectionism" talk, you'll gain about as much sympathy as a Monsanto apologist.

Historical preservationists talk of their position as a self-evident truth, that needs little in the way of justification; history is good, beautiful architecture is good, and that's it.

But affordable cities are also good. As is economic progress and freedom.

Turning city centers into boutiques for the upper class through zoning laws and preservation societies is to me, the very definition of elitism.

And before you go thinking I'm some suburban Fordite, I'd have you read my other posts. I'm a downtown-dwelling, high income professional, who doesn't own a car and walks most places and has a monthly metro pass. I am a urbanist to the core. But I'm an organic urbanist and see value in letting cities develop unmolested by urban planners.

I guess I've had it wrong all these years. The blitzkreig of post-war Victorian/Georgian Toronto was actually a good thing because it made the city more affordable. It was also not the result of deliberate planning policies that encouraged parking near the core, but "organic" market forces at work. Hmmmm.

CN002876-1-1.jpg

f0124_fl0002_id0025.jpg

Front_at_Yonge.jpg

photo-toronto-front-and-wellington-early.jpg

Last edited:
I grimaced at the loss of those gems. What an awful time it must have been in that 2nd pic for urban enthusiasts in this city to see such destruction.

Because a) the quality of craftmanship and attention to detail in buildings pre-1950s is unbelievable compared to what followed and what we build today, and b) old buildings have already paid for themselves over the years and its owners are more likely to rent out to unique non-franchised exciting tenants, rather than the 'safe-bets' that new buildings understandably choose to go for.

Visit 401 Richmond if you have the chance, it's a restored old warehouse rented to artists. It's full of plants, warmth, light, and human-scaled goodness. It's psychologically very enhancing. Walk around its hallways and offices, courtyard, and green roof, and try and picture carrying out the same project in a recently built building.

You can also look at retail along WQW and realise that if we allowed developers to build new buildings and replace the old victorians there's no way the current tenants would be maintained.

Finally, rich people like well-maintained 1800s landscaping. They really dig it, as it's very well thought out and aesthetically pleasing. A neighbourhood that projects that image instantly raises the value of its properties. Do you think the Flatiron building would be a beloved landmark if it was a modernist triangle? Do you think the St. Lawrence market would be what it is today if the South Market had been torn down?

I guess I've had it wrong all these years. The blitzkreig of post-war Victorian/Georgian Toronto was actually a good thing because it made the city more affordable. It was also not the result of deliberate planning policies that encouraged parking near the core, but "organic" market forces at work. Hmmmm.

"Organic market forces" is a phrase intended to neuter our democratic impulses by suggesting that changes are fated to happen and that citizens don't have choices or control.

Back