News   May 09, 2024
 495     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 460     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 757     1 

91 King Street East (Albany Club, 25s, WZMH Architects)

I was in the Albany Club last week for a meeting and lunch. The elevator was out of order at the beginning of the meeting so I had to use the stairs to the fourth floor meeting room, thus getting a glance at most of the structure. It certainly is an attractive building, with quite a collection of portraits and old campaign posters, especially from the days of Sir John A. (It is very much a Tory club.) I have no idea about the finances of the club or whether they are in need of a capital infusion. I certainly hope that the building is somehow preserved, though a tower behind the club would certainly not be out of place, in my opinion.

I I certainly hope that the building is somehow preserved, though a tower behind the club would certainly not be out of place, in my opinion.

If the site is developed, heritage will consist of photos of the interior and the building facade being slapped onto whatever gets built there. That's heritage, Toronto-style.

91 KING ST E
OPA / Rezoning 12 145905 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Mar 29, 2012 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new mixed use building, 47 stories in height complete with a four storey podium component. 355 dwelling units and approximately 9,000m2 of non residetial uses are proposed. 213 parking spaces located in a below grade parking facility are also proposed.

91 King Street East is due north of the Freed site at 60 Colborne and has no common lot-line with the parking lot to the west of the Freed site. Does the application give a site area?

I'm guessing the substantial parking behind the heritage strip on King is where the tower will go, with the old buildings being renovated. Is Tom Jones part of this?

I hate to preemptively break the news to people; but as of the present, *none* of the existing addresses along that King blockfront are even on the inventory, much less designated. (Loopholes happen.)

Cue the alarm bells.

I love King Street East so much... I really hope it's treated VERY well by future development. We can't afford any cheaping out along that stretch :(

I hate to preemptively break the news to people; but as of the present, *none* of the existing addresses along that King blockfront are even on the inventory, much less designated. (Loopholes happen.)

Cue the alarm bells.

Uh oh.

Not good not good not good not good not good.

is there anything we can do about this to protect those buildings? Lets not let this happen!

im all for a skyscraper on this lot, but those buildings cannot be demolished!

Contact Pam McConnell (Ward 27 Councillor), she's great, she will get right on it.

Contact Pam McConnell (Ward 27 Councillor), she's great, she will get right on it.

i hope these buildings don't go the way of 91 Wellesley, as they are used commercially and not residential, which means no consultation required prior to a demolition permit being issued.

A short history of the site:

1842, John Howard designs a block of Georgian stores called Victoria Row:

Howard-221_m.jpg

1856, on the left:

kingeast1856.jpg

1886, the block gets a Second Empire facelift:

Victoria_Row_1890_Toronto.jpg

1900's (?), the east portion gets replaced by a new building:

victoriarowkingeast1930.jpg

1915:

kingchurch1915.jpg

kingeast1910s.jpg

1930:

victoriarow.jpg

1897, the Albany Club leases 91-93 King East and buys the building in 1913 (http://www.albanyclub.ca/About-Us/Architectural-Comments.aspx).

1930, the current limestone facade replaces the Second Empire front and turret (the original 1842 buildings, though renovated still form the interior).

Current, only the east bay of the original Victoria Row remains (Adourian Carpets) with the Second Empire mansard flourishes on its 1842 base (interstingly, the windows look like they were stripped back to the original):

91kingeast.jpg

Maps:

1851:

victoriarow1851-1.jpg

1890 (note: no Victoria Street south of King):

1890victoriarow.jpg

1913:

1913victoriarow.jpg

Last edited:

Back