Hamilton 734-756 King Street East | 43.26m | 15s | Vrancor Development | DPAI

Chris R.

Member Bio
Reaction score
Up at Committee of Adjustment: https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=386476

1000002202.png
1000002201.png
1000002206.png
1000002204.png
1000002205.png
1000002203.png
1000002192.png
1000002196.png

Thank you to @Paclo or whomever updated the information in the title. I'm not incredibly familiar with reading these documents.

Last edited:
Lack of any commercial/retail is baffling, especially for a building that spans an entire block. Parking numbers are not bad though.

Lack of any commercial/retail is baffling, especially for a building that spans an entire block. Parking numbers are not bad though.
I'll copy/paste my comment from the SSP:

Lack of retail is confusing, because the ground floor gives a feeling of retail space, like the outside was planned first. That brick work is complicated actually and it's unfortunate that it will be mixed with precast construction. I'd even prefer a panel covering the concrete instead. McMaster's graduate residence shows that panels can be quite beautiful.

One can only complain so much when height starts heading east… it’s really ugly, but if Vrancor is leading the pack, then so be it. I’d rather have his builds than nothing. West downtown shows that only good things come from others after he’s had his fun.

Vrancor takes 'step back' from Hamilton affordable-housing pitch​

Hamilton megadeveloper Darko Vranich's plan to build, finance and donate a 131-unit affordable-housing “legacy” project to the city has hit a snag.
Planning staff and would-be neighbours in the area have flagged problems with his pitch for a vacant lot on King Street East at Sanford Avenue.
That has prompted Vrancor Group, which is Vranich's development firm, to mull over next steps.
“We're confused. We need to take a step back,” Mario Frankovich, vice-president of investment and strategic planning, told The Spectator.
Frankovich noted Vrancor opted to “table” its requests for minor variances in December in the face of a staff report that recommended the city's committee of adjustment reject them.

The proposal calls for two buildings on the site: a 12-storey tower with affordable rentals, which would be donated to the city or CityHousing, and a 15-storey twin with 167 market-rate units Vrancor would retain. They are to be connected by a podium with amenities.
Vrancor says the project would increase residential density along Hamilton's future LRT route in support of commercial development and ridership, and “does not present any serious deleterious impacts” on area homes when it comes to shadows or overlook.
The city, however, has pointed to a number of issues with the proposed height, massing and setbacks with a neighbourhood of low-rise homes to the south.

Vranich is proposing to build a 131 unit affordable housing building and donate it to CityHousing - but staff oppose the application and the councillor opposes it because of transition and height issues. City Staff want a full rezoning.

Key quote:

The economics of building don’t make sense at certain levels and what was being proposed to CityHousing Hamilton was something that worked on the basis of how you deliver housing to people who can only afford to pay $1,100 a month.”
And along the LRT route, where density is meant to be boosted, Vrancor could consider pivoting to an “all-for-profit development.” If not locally, approvals could be sought before the Ontario Land Tribunal, Frankovich suggested.
“That's not choice No. 1,” he emphasized. “Choice No. 1 is still a legacy with affordable housing and a conventional for-profit sister tower.”
The city obstructing development by requiring a rezoning and setbacks, step backs, etc. has consequences. if you want affordable housing, it has to be built affordably.

Vranich is proposing to build a 131 unit affordable housing building and donate it to CityHousing - but staff oppose the application and the councillor opposes it because of transition and height issues. City Staff want a full rezoning.

Key quote:

The city obstructing development by requiring a rezoning and setbacks, step backs, etc. has consequences. if you want affordable housing, it has to be built affordably.
Kinda surprised here. The city’s attitude for a long time seemed to be to take whatever it could get. Just because the good times are coming doesn’t mean we should take a page out of other cities books and nitpick.

I’m sure an agreement lies in here somewhere. But, given it would be entirely affordable, I don’t see why making a fuss would help things. I’m sure there’s even less wiggle room than with a typical market-rate build downtown.

to be clear I think the City rightfully has room to ask for some improvements here - but on small stuff that works with the affordable housing model. Talk about the public realm - trees, landscaping, etc. Don't talk about a zoning by-law amendment or cutting GFA through height cuts or stepping requirements.

I hope the people of ward 3 realize Nrinder Nann is more concerned about her own political ambitions rather than caring for the well being of her constituents.

I hope the people of ward 3 realize Nrinder Nann is more concerned about her own political ambitions rather than caring for the well being of her constituents.
I honestly don't get the impression that Nann is planning to follow in Green's footsteps and run for higher office. I might be wrong but that hasn't been what she's been signalling to me.

I honestly don't get the impression that Nann is planning to follow in Green's footsteps and run for higher office. I might be wrong but that hasn't been what she's been signalling to me.

I hope for the province’s sake you are correct but if she decides to run for Jama’s seat next election she will win.

Back