News   May 15, 2024
 764     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 821     0 

407 Transitway

The better solution is to do pick names that uniquely identify specific places. This can be done with intersection-based names (407-Jane or something like that) or neighbourhood-based names (which don't seem useful for a station whose primary value lies in a connection to a BRT mode running along a highway).

Yep, I think this is the way to go.

Sorry, but this approach to station naming is well established in Toronto.
In general, I'm of the view that people adapt to the nomenclature that's used, and that what really matters for station names is that they be unique. Beyond that, people resort to maps and other sources of information to figure out exactly which station to use and so forth.
I didn't say that at all - but if it's an issue at the 407, it's an issue with the majority of the stations on the TTC system, and riders seem to manage to figure out where they are.
I'm not against clear names, despite your attempts to characterize my position as such.

Well, good! In the end, I think, we agree.

TTC has never used a "west" or "east" designation without first having a station without such a designation, though.
Actually, this is only a coincidence. In fact, the TTC almost did use the "West" designation before there first being a station without it; Steeles West. The reality behind this is that on the Yonge Line, both "East" and "West" versions of the streets start at Yonge, that is to say that both intersect at Yonge as well. So there is no "East" or "West" at Yonge Line stations since it's both! Every station that has "East" or "West" in its name has that because the Street Name has that as well. St. Clair West is on St. Clair Ave. W., Lawrence East is on Lawrence Ave. East, Eglinton West is on Eglinton Ave. W., etc.. This is why there should never be a "-Something- South" station since very few streets actually have that. However, "Lower -Something-" is a valid candidate, since streets such as Spadina and Jarvis actually use that as an official name for the street, in the event of a Front alignment be selected.

My suggestion for the 407 station would be to call it "Beechwood". It's the least offensive candidate available.

Actually, this is only a coincidence. In fact, the TTC almost did use the "West" designation before there first being a station without it; Steeles West. The reality behind this is that on the Yonge Line, both "East" and "West" versions of the streets start at Yonge, that is to say that both intersect at Yonge as well. So there is no "East" or "West" at Yonge Line stations since it's both! Every station that has "East" or "West" in its name has that because the Street Name has that as well. St. Clair West is on St. Clair Ave. W., Lawrence East is on Lawrence Ave. East, Eglinton West is on Eglinton Ave. W., etc.. This is why there should never be a "-Something- South" station since very few streets actually have that. However, "Lower -Something-" is a valid candidate, since streets such as Spadina and Jarvis actually use that as an official name for the street, in the event of a Front alignment be selected.

My suggestion for the 407 station would be to call it "Beechwood". It's the least offensive candidate available.

I second Beechwood. "407 Station" just sounds wrong to me. (Plus tourists will ask what happened to the first 406 stations)

You mean, like the way that Bloor station is poised at one particular point along Bloor, or Queen station is at one particular point along Queen? ;-)

Sorry, but this approach to station naming is well established in Toronto.

Yeah, but isn't it actually YONGE Station if you're on the Bloor line but BLOOR station if you're on the Yonge line - ie the actual station name is Bloor-Yonge? Same with Sheppard-Yonge?

Similarly, the 407 Transitway stop is named in relation to the Spadina extension so it could be called Spadina-407 or Jane or something if you're actually on the Transitway.

I doubt it really matters - is there any evidence people get lost on the TTC assuming (for example) that Bloor Station is the sole access to Bloor Street?

The official name is Bloor-Yonge station. Signage is supposed to be installed to reflect that, likely when the B-D platform undergoes its modernization.

However, the next station announcements don't reflect that. Much like at Sheppard-Yonge, the announcement only says "Sheppard", while the one on the Sheppard Subway says "Sheppard-Yonge" (Not to mention all the mispronouncing of all the other station names).

407 Transitway West would be even more confusing for passangers, seeing as a 407 Transitway, and 407 Transitway East stations will not exist. Let's take the Yonge North extension. The stop nearest the 407 will be called Langstaff/Longbridge, not after the Transitway.

Actually there will be one stop at Langstaff/Longbridge, and then one after at the Richmond Hill Centre so you have both south and north ends covered. Whenever they end up building this transitway, I'd assume it would be an easy connection to one or the other station (preferably the RHC, since that is the transit hub station).

The 407 Transitway connection will take place at Richmond Hill Centre station. Bunker-Langstaff-Longbridge will be to serve the park and ride lot and the redevelopment of the Langstaff Gateway.

Does anybody know what this transitway is suppsoed to be, is it just supposed to be a glorified BRT on a highway with GO buses? or is it going to used by local routes as well? and if there are any plans to possible make it rail technology?

Does anybody know what this transitway is suppsoed to be, is it just supposed to be a glorified BRT on a highway with GO buses? or is it going to used by local routes as well? and if there are any plans to possible make it rail technology?

The first stage between Jane and Unionville will be a bus-only roadway parallel with the highway, similar to the Ottawa Transitway. Any bus, regional or local, will have access to the Transitway. There will likely be Transitway-only service in addition to the existing 407 GO service.

How is the transitway plan going to complement/conflict with vivaNext, since it's going to parallel Hwy 7 so much? As for rail being used on the transitway, again since viva's ultimate plan is to run LRT on Hwy 7, I doubt that the transitway will ever be converted to rail?

Viva Rapidways provide more local express service while the 407 Transitway is for regional. They will complement, not compete, with each other, there will be transfers between the two at a few points.

I suspect that it would be GO. As a matter of fact, one brach should come down the Mississauga Transitway to Square One (if the two are separate through Mississauga)

Back