News   May 07, 2024
 512     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 460     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 923     3 

400 University Ave (Re-Cladding Zurich, Quadrangle)

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5G 1S5

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 13 268221 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 21, 2013

Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal to construct a 1 storey addition on the north face of existing office building. New addition to include office space, vestibule and entrance steps.

December 3rd - West side of tower

11193765963_dfe0740d57_o.jpg

Are they keeping the brown cladding on the building's piers? The building might look better than it did originally that way with the white accentuating the contrasting perpendicular lines of the windows to the vertical lines of the piers.

Are they keeping the brown cladding on the building's piers? The building might look better than it did originally that way with the white accentuating the contrasting perpendicular lines of the windows to the vertical lines of the piers.

I agree.

I represent C3 Polymeric Limited, the contractor that is completing the retrofit. There have been a number of questions asked and points raised that I will address below.

Are vision units installed from inside?: No. The new system, including vision glass, is installed from the exterior. Once installation is complete, the old, single glazed, units are removed from the interior. This is possible as the new system is fully custom and was engineered specifically for 400 University. After the old windows have been removed, the interior mullions are reclad so that it appears as though the entire system is new. The interior cladding is done after regular business hours.

Is the precast being removed changed?: No. The precast panels are not being altered.

I would be happy to answer other questions on this project.

Hi and Thanks for the new information. I have a question: What other hi-rise retrofit projects has your firm been involved in?

We retrofit both towers at Toronto City Hall. They were converted from a single glazed zipper gasket system to a custom, double glazed system. As it is a designated heritage building, we had to minimize changes to the appearance. Other towers in the GTA include the Madison Centre (structural retrofit of aluminum panels), 5915 Airport Road (glazing, coating, detailing) and 401/405 The West Mall (glazing). We have also completed full retrofits on City Centre Place and Oxford Tower in downtown Edmonton.

Holy yuck. I suppose maintaining the architectural integrity of this building wasn't a concern at all. Zurich used to look good. Can't say that any more. Do they have to destroy absolutely every building in the name of making things look modern? :mad:

Last edited:
Holy yuck. I suppose maintaining the architectural integrity of this building wasn't a concern at all. Zurich used to look good. Can't say that any more. Do they have to destroy absolutely every building in the name of making things look modern? :mad:

If you own a building like this, I would think your primary concern would be competitiveness in the market as much as it sucks that this is the case. Can't do much if you can't lease out any plates, and the lessors aren't really able to dictate what's popular right now.

New City Hall only had single glazing? Seriously? Wow. Glad we upgraded it to something higher-performing!

I am hearing the building has been shut down today and tenants asked to leave due to the discovery of some surprise asbestos.

This is kind of ironic as one of the tenants here is the ministry of labour....and our laws governing how asbestos is handled in building remediations/construction/renovations is actually a product of that ministry.

Back