News   Jul 31, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 686     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 522     0 

25 ways to help make this the city it wants to be

Agreed. Toronto is the biggest, oldest and easternmost major city in North America that doesn't have an identifiable regional dish. Even LA has the California Roll. At this point in our history, we don't even have to make our regional specialty some sodium-laden working class dish.

Speaking of "California"...again, would veal sandwiches count as a Toronto "regional dish"?

I'll tell ya what needs to happen in order for Toronto to have an iconic food: the restaurants in this country have GOT to stop naming their food after places in the US!!! This annoys me to no end! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that East Side Marios, Montana's, Baton Rouge, Boston Pizza and of course Swiss Chalet are all CANADIAN chains! I say we march down to Cara Food headquarters with pitchforks and demand restaurants named after US!!! (THAT'S us, NOT U.S)!)

Last edited:
I'll tell ya what needs to happen in order for Toronto to have an iconic food: the restaurants in this country have GOT to stop naming their food after places in the US!!! This annoys me to no end! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that East Side Marios, Montana's, Baton Rouge, Boston Pizza and of course Swiss Chalet are all CANADIAN chains! I say way march down to Cara Food headquarters with pitchforks and demand restaurants named after US!!! (THAT'S us, NOT U.S)!)

Don't forget New York Fries.

Does any city lay claim to deep-fried butter?

5d0109d34c64be820b59a392c941.jpeg

Do we want to claim it?

I'll tell ya what needs to happen in order for Toronto to have an iconic food: the restaurants in this country have GOT to stop naming their food after places in the US!!! This annoys me to no end! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that East Side Marios, Montana's, Baton Rouge, Boston Pizza and of course Swiss Chalet are all CANADIAN chains! I say way march down to Cara Food headquarters with pitchforks and demand restaurants named after US!!! (THAT'S us, NOT U.S)!)

I don't mind places like Swiss Chalet...they serve (ostensibly) Swiss-style chicken (actually I have no idea if they do, but that's the idea I guess). Also, it's delicious. I totally, totally agree with you on the Montanas, East Side Mario's, New York Fries, and Boston Pizzas of the world, though. Since when was New York known for its fries or Boston for its pizza anyway? If it was Chicago Pizza and served deep-dish pizza I might understand, but as it is it's just ridiculous.

Also, I think deep-fried butter has been done before...state fairs in the US have a ridiculous amount of fried foods that all generally sound delicious.

I heard the first hamburger was flipped along time ago at the Ex by a fellow named John Duggan, ( who happened to be friend of my grandfather Alfred Redsell ). Juicy hamburgers can't be any worse for your health than poutine.

Oh jeez. I wasn't just picking on Montreal, I'd put any Canadian city in the not much to promote category. It's not that we're swimming with attractions beyond the natural wonders. I gave Montreal and San Fran. as examples of cities that do well attracting the tourist dollar by creating "experience" based tourism and pointed out that Toronto tends to promote the shit out of stuff you can do anywhere.

For the record I like Montreal. And seriously, it's not like you guys over on your forum don't spend your time dissing Toronto ad nauseum. But I suppose since it's Toronto you're talking about we're supposed to just take it.

Sometimes you guys just gotta balance your insecurity with the 10 lb chip on your shoulder.

you've got me wrong, and you won't be able to find a quote to say otherwise. i love toronto. i'm about burying the damned hatchet.

Back