News   Jul 22, 2024
 547     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 618     0 

2282 Lake Shore Blvd W. (Polish Alliance Hall)

Filip,

Unfortunately, given the ingrained character of the Boulevard of Broken Dreams, any publicly-assisted housing would be captive to the Karma, and politics, of those crack houses. The solution is to transform the area, in the spirit of Marina del Ray, rather than attempt to reform it. That's my view.

Agreed, this may be a step back in the direction this neighbourhood was heading. The design charette Mimico 20/20 (which I'm sure you're familiar with) calls for great change to the wall of low-rent apartments on Lakeshore.

If Mimico residents want change, it will come. If they hold out trying to preserve what exists now, the neighbourhood will simply fade away into irrelevance.

She knows just as much as the rest of us. What are your thoughts on subsidized housing on the site? Can it be made attractive like Regent Park or the St Lawrence Market area, or will it be a bedbug palace like the crackhouses which line the south side of Lakeshore? I truly hope for the former!

Maybe more the former, or at least something in between a la Daniels' redevelopment of New Toronto's Goodyear site, if that may be seen as any kind of localized co-op/subsidized benchmark for the present...

Maybe more the former, or at least something in between a la Daniels' redevelopment of New Toronto's Goodyear site, if that may be seen as any kind of localized co-op/subsidized benchmark for the present...

The New Toronto Goodyear site is plagued with property crime and drug use.

I wouldn't want that a stone's throw from my front door.

Between "new homes for them in a newly-established desirable neighbourhood", and McMansion teardowns in an long-established desirable neighbourhood...I'll opt for the former.

I don't think it is a problem for a neighbourhood to take on subsidized housing. It is part of urban living. This, in my opinion and in that of many others on this forum, is a positive development. The poor need places to live to and crowding them all into one ghetto a la Moss Park, former Regent Park, etc. is the kind of ideal of the past and today's cities enjoy mixed-use development which is the best for everyone.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a problem for a neighbourhood to take on subsidized housing. It is part of urban living. This, in my opinion and in that of many others on this forum, is a positive development. The poor need places to live to and crowding them all into one ghetto a la Moss Park, former Regent Park, etc. is the kind of ideal of the past and today's cities enjoy mixed-use development which is the best for everyone.

Right-on, and well said.:)

Thank you, I believe it is important to avoid all forms of NIMBYISM and embrace projects for the better good of our city.

I don't necessarily mind the idea of subsidized housing, but the fact that the Lake Shore strip next door contains dozens of incredibly low rent apartments filled with drug problems and property crime are what worries me. This is only going to add to the problem instead of fixing it.

I noticed yesterday that there was some soil testing going on at the Polish Association of Toronto at 2282 Lake Shore West. I hadn’t heard of any sale of the property there but it is a considerable size. Anyone else heard any whispers about anything going on there?
BE52B131-E472-4890-A8CC-4F5023C25453.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back