News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 653     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you don't think she's experienced with large budgets now?
That's some serious trolling going on there.

So, got anything to back up the multi-millionaire claim, or are you just gonna keep up with this trolling BS?

That's some serious trolling going on there.

So, got anything to back up the multi-millionaire claim, or are you just gonna keep up with this trolling BS?
Not everything you don't want to hear or agree with is trolling.

Not everything you don't want to hear or agree with is trolling.
No, but intentionally ignoring a request for proof of a specious claim one's made while trying to turn it around certainly qualifies.

Yeah, see... You made the claim. Don't be lazy. Back it up with some kinda proof. Or were you just pulling it out of nowhere?

No, but intentionally ignoring a request for proof of a specious claim one's made while trying to turn it around certainly qualifies.

Yeah, see... You made the claim. Don't be lazy. Back it up with some kinda proof. Or were you just pulling it out of nowhere?

Relax.

He's correct.

She owns her home, that alone is sufficient to make the claim true.

Suffice to say, she also has investments and on going income.

Calling someone a multi-millionaire is not a slag on them, wasn't used pejoratively here. It was used her defense in point of fact, to suggest she knew how to manage money.

She is worth several million, that's fine. Next.

I just gave you a link to look it up yourself, but I'm lazy?

Just voted, super easy, steady flow of people to do the same at my local community centre.

I wanted to wait until election day to see how polls changed last minute. I've been a fan of Motlow's platform, but Chow is something that Matlow isn't: a a frontrunner that can beat Bailão or Saunders.

If I was mayor:
  • I'd like to see Toronto invest more into city services like transit, shelters, and affordable housing.
  • I want many more trees, bikelanes, and street patios, and widespread midrise and missing middle.
  • Ontario Place, and Billy Bishop, and the rest of Toronto Island should be public parkland accessible by pedestrian bridges.
  • Property taxes on single family homes are too low - sprawl should subsidize efficient density, not the other way around.
  • The development application process and taxes are a mess. It shouldn't be as hard and expensive as it is to build housing.
  • We, collectively, need to do something about getting more people in skilled trades.
  • Lastly, the Gardner Expressway is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a city, and should be torn down and redesigned as a world class urban boulevard. If the province wants a highway through downtown, they can build it underground, and they can pay for it.
Unfortunately that'll take 50 years to happen (if ever) given Toronto's electorate, maybe one day we can have ranked choice voting.

Me neither, in truth, before I saw it above. We are all indeed foreign characters :)
If I had a dollar for every time an obsolete computer mangled my first name... diacritics are by no means optional, but at some point I just decided to drop my cedilla in some cases. There are more important things to get worked up about.

My husband and I voted for Chow earlier today. I like that I only have to go four floors up to vote. This is actually the third consecutive building I have lived in that has its own voting station.

Any predictions for voter turnout? Keep in mind by-election turnout is usually lower than general elections. Mind you, last October's election was VERY low. Could tonight buck the trend?

Previous turnouts:

2022 - 29.2%
2018 - 40.9%
2014 - 54.7%
2010 - 50.6%
2006 - 39.3%
2003 - 38.3%

I advance voted for Bailão under the assumptions that Chow wins comfortably and that Bailão has the best chance of finishing second ahead of Saunders. The less momentum that troglodyte builds for 2026, the better.

If Chow wins and Bailao comes up short by a few percentage points, I can see her running again in 2026. Alternatively, if Chow wins by a large margin, say 10%+, I could see McKelvie being the centre/centre-right flag bearer in 2026.

Any predictions for voter turnout? Keep in mind by-election turnout is usually lower than general elections. Mind you, last October's election was VERY low. Could tonight buck the trend?

Previous turnouts:

2022 - 29.2%
2018 - 40.9%
2014 - 54.7%
2010 - 50.6%
2006 - 39.3%
2003 - 38.3%
Why was 2014 so large?

Back