News   May 15, 2024
 227     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 667     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.9K     2 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they don't want Chow, he seems like the best bet to coalesce behind.
And therein lies the problem: Saunders doesn't even succeed as a "best bet", as opposed to being a "highest-polling alternate option". That is, those who don't want Chow aren't going to coalesce en masse around *him*--indeed, Bailao centrists would probably rather stay put and throw the election to Chow.

And that's how it goes: the non-Chows might not be *supporting* her, but they aren't *that* invested in "stopping" her, so they'd rather vote their conscience out of principle and resign themselves to the inevitable--sort of like those who didn't vote Liberal in the GTA during the Chretien era.

In the end, what Saunders is probably *most* concerned with is Furey eating away at his right flank.

I never understood the notion of only voting for the person who is going to win. Especially when there isn't any fear of a close contender to necessitate strategic voting.

Well, in this case, it's less a matter of wanting to vote for the winner than not wanting my vote to go to waste. As I said, I don't think Matlow's going to win here, deservedly or undeservedly. As for there being no fears of a close contender etc., I dunno. I admit it certainly looks that way from this vantage point, but you never can tell. Crazy things can happen in modern day elections.

Whatsisname, Furey, appears to be doing surprisingly decently for, y'know, a fringe nut candidate, but that's exactly what he is: a fringe nut candidate.
I haven't been following him, but I see his signs everywhere now. Is it because of his promise to kill the municipal land transfer tax?

Do we think Chow would actually try and create a true rent control system (no raising rents on tenant turnover)? This one really scares me as it's a great way to ensure we don't ever build any more rental housing.
You assume weā€™ve built much of it since the 80s.

Most of our rental stock these days is coming from ā€œinvestorsā€ trying (and often succeeding) in turning an undersized condo marketed directly as an investment property into their own personal cash flow.

You assume weā€™ve built much of it since the 80s.

Most of our rental stock these days is coming from ā€œinvestorsā€ trying (and often succeeding) in turning an undersized condo marketed directly as an investment property into their own personal cash flow.
Seems like we're finally seeing purpose-built rentals being built now.

At this point, the real race might be for second place. This could position the runner-up as the "anti-Chow" candidate in 2026.
Looking at who hasn't run, but could position themselves as the anti-chow candidate, McKelvie has to be in the conversation. Her not running, but being seen as the head of council, has done quite well for her image and recognition.

At this point, the real race might be for second place. This could position the runner-up as the "anti-Chow" candidate in 2026.
Best comment so far. Further, Oliviaā€™s best chance at a second term is to prove to be a good listener, and not feed the cynics and political trolls. Thatā€™s a leftistā€™s challenge.

New poll from Liasion:

Chow - 30%
Saunders - 16%
Matlow - 13%
Bailao - 12%
Furey - 10%
Hunter - 7%
Bradford - 4%

Nice little unexpected bump for Matlow - I might just vote for him after all.

Back