News   Jul 15, 2024
 189     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Recruitment for job opportunities to work as an election official in the upcoming by-election will begin on May 1.

Managing Deputy Returning Officer (MDRO)​

Special Requirement​

• Must have supervisory experience or previous experience in this role.

Responsibilities and Requirements​

• Manages a large voting place with 5 – 12 staff
  • Manages the voting place to ensure staff are following correct procedures
  • Distributes and packs up supplies, and completes all paperwork
  • Sets up, opens and closes the voting place
  • Must have access to a cell phone
  • Must have excellent customer service and problem solving skills
  • Must be highly organized and a team player
  • Previous election experience an asset
  • Some physical activity and lifting may be required to set up and dismantle the voting place

Time Commitment​

• Mandatory training sessions:
    • In-class: approximately 1.5 hours
    • Online: approximately 1 hour
  • Election day: 8 a.m. to approximately 9 p.m.

Pay​

$425

Deputy Returning Officer (DRO)​

Special Requirement​

• Must have supervisory experience or previous experience in this role.

• Manages a small voting place with 1 – 4 staff
  • Manages the voting place to ensure staff are following correct procedures
  • Distributes and packs up supplies, and completes all paperwork
  • Sets up, opens and closes the voting place
  • Operates a vote tabulator
  • Must have access to a cell phone
  • Previous election experience an asset
  • Some physical activity and lifting may be required to set up and dismantle the voting place

Time Commitment​

Pay​

$395

Access Officer​

• Assists with the opening and closing of the voting place
  • Greets and directs voters
  • Assists with various duties
  • May be stationed at an entrance to ensure access for voters
  • Must have excellent customer service skills

Time Commitment​

• Mandatory online training session – approximately 1 hour

Pay​

$235

Customer Service Officer​

• Assists with the opening and closing of the voting place
  • Greets and directs voters

Time Commitment​

Pay​

$235

Voter Assist Terminal Officer (VAT Officer)​

Special Requirement​

Must be able to work four (4) consecutive days of advance voting days (June 8 – 13, 2023) in addition to election day (June 26).
Responsibilities and Requirements
  • Assists with opening and closing the voting place
  • Sets up the voter assist terminal
  • Assists electors that wish to use the voter assist terminal
  • Assists with other various duties
  • Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs
Time Commitment
Pay:
$235

Tabulator Deputy Returning Officer (Tabulator Officer)​

• Assists with setting up and closing of the voting place
  • Receives ballots from voters and feeds ballots into vote tabulator
Time Commitment
    • In-class: approximately 1 hour

Pay​

$235

Ballot Deputy Returning Officer (Ballot Officer)​

• Assists with set up of the voting place to ensure it opens at 10:00 a.m.
  • Locates voters on the voters’ list
  • Marks voters as voted
  • Issues ballots and administers oaths
  • Ensures forms are filled out correctly and signed

Time Commitment​

Pay​

$265

Revising Deputy Returning Officer (Revising Officer)​

• Assists with set up of the voting place to ensure it opens at 10:00 a.m.
  • Assists voters who need to add, change or remove their name or information on the voters’ list
  • Ensures forms are completed correctly and signed

Time Commitment​

• Mandatory online training session – approximately 2 hours

Pay​

$265

Standby Officer​

In addition to this role being available for election day, you can apply to work as a Standby Officer during advance vote. The advance vote period is June 8 to 13. Minimum commitment of two (2) consecutive days to a maximum of four (4) days.

Special Requirement​

• Must have cell phone and access to a vehicle

• Prepares to be dispatched to fill any voting place position
  • If deployed to fill a voting place position:
    • May process voters and issues ballots and/or administer declarations
    • May add voters or make changes to the voters’ list
    • May operate a vote tabulator
  • Previous election experience is considered an asset
Time Commitment

Pay​

Election Day: $265
Advance Vote: $125 (daily)
Go to https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/about-election-jobs/ for more information.

Hmmm, I don't agree that's what is says or what it is, we need to distinguish between the literal shoreline and adjacent interior uses.

Its perfectly possible to have a park and have a restaurant across the street with a nice view of same that isn't part of that park.

I would add, in the context of Ontario Place that I have no objection to revitalizing the historic restaurant locations as such once more, within a public park context.

a) I don't think a 40km plus entertainment district is remotely viable; Even a 4km one would be longer than anything in NYC.

b) I don't see Therme as a compatible entertainment use, because its interior-facing, which is absurd on a Lake-front site.

If you want 'entertainment' on the Lake, you want it focused on the Lake. So you want an outdoor water park, not an indoor one, you want restaurants with water views, you want scuba diving......etc etc.

Toronto's Waterfront is still a Remedial Action Plan site. It is deemed an environmental hazard. There is considerable work to do to provide meaningful habitat for aquatic birds, mammals and fish.

My point is that Queen's Quay and Yonge to Spadina is entirely an urban waterfront and most of the urban is a spectacular failure just as I imagine Therme will be.

The single most successful elements on the central waterfront today are the Music Garden, Coronation Park and the two heritage buildings (QQT and the Pier) that feature restaurants w/patios.
I’m not suggesting a 40km entertainment zone. Far from it. My point was I’m happy to see some action on OP, even if it’s not perfect it will be a massive improvement over what is there today. I agree that from Yonge to Spadina it’s been mostly bad but the QQW redo made the street a lot nicer. The section around QQT is quite nice although the Canada/Ontario parks there are massive failures as no one uses them.

I would say you missed a successful urban part - Sugar Beach. It’s a phenomenal space and the landscaping by the water with the rows of trees is amazing. We needed more spaces like that. I have hopes that the rest of QQE will also be just as good. Let’s see. Then we have the opportunity in the Portland’s to do some great stuff.

I would say you missed a successful urban part - Sugar Beach. It’s a phenomenal space and the landscaping by the water with the rows of trees is amazing. We needed more spaces like that

So you mean you want more public parks after all..................

So you mean you want more public parks after all..................
Sugar beach isn’t is only one corner of it. The rest is an urban space with a restaurant and patio. I also appreciate the high quality urban landscaping there. That’s what we need more of. Ontario Place is dilapidated and feels abandoned - because it is. I want more destinations on the waterfront. Sugar beach is a destination. Ontario Place should be too.

Sugar beach isn’t is only one corner of it. The rest is an urban space with a restaurant and patio. I also appreciate the high quality urban landscaping there. That’s what we need more of. Ontario Place is dilapidated and feels abandoned - because it is. I want more destinations on the waterfront. Sugar beach is a destination. Ontario Place should be too.

I think it can be as well, but without a huge canker sore known as Therme along its edge.

Agree that the Therme needs the boot but I’d prefer we move forward with this and let the Therme be a reminder of Ford - we add a Ford plaque on it. :)

I recommend a shiny bright yellow or anything that REALLY stands out to the TTC fare inspectors.
You are aware that since 2021 tap points make a different sound and blink yellow lights when a child's card is used, right?

The problem is not the identification of kids cards, it's the understaffing going on in stations and with fare inspectors at frequent bus/streetcar stops that's the problem. Other riders aren't likely to confront someone else using a kids' pass, and if no one is there from the TTC to stop someone from using one, *they will still use it*.

Likewise, the recent rise in crime in subway stations is likely in part due to understaffing of entry points.

He resigned because he thought he should.
He comes from a generation that resigned when they got caught, instead of doubling down, despite how little people cared about the issue.
The only hit to his image here is forcing this by-election to begin with.
His acceptance of his abuse of power dynamic and getting involved with a staffer is noble, so it's all good.

Please.

Last edited:
Ontario Place was a destination once, as will (maybe) Doug Ford's Ontario Place™. The problem isn't that so much that it fell out of favour; it's that you shouldn't spend money on capital projects if you aren't also willing to spend money operating them.

The province has been gradually whittling away funding from the OSC and Ontario Place because it can; it's an easy "cost-cutting" line in the budget that means taxes can be reduced. The pattern will likely happen with DFOP, too.

You are aware that since 2021 tap points make a different sound and blink yellow lights when a child's card is used, right?
Who cares? 😝 If it looks like the same ADULT card, that is all that matters for a free ride. You do know that the second entrance at a subway has nobody there except a useless camera right?
I want kids to have a card that shows in hand that it's the kid's card. Until then,
"thanks for the free ride SUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (said those adults with the child card...)

Make it a shiny bright yellow card so fare inspectors can CLEARLY see what's going on.
It also gets rid of the "Oh I thought I was using my card...my child must have my card..." TOTAL BS!!
I am sick and tired of it! (great lie btw, but it has to be eliminated)

Last edited:
Who cares? 😝 If it looks like the same ADULT card, that is all that matters for a free ride. You do know that the second entrance at a subway has nobody there except a useless camera right?

And? Most of those entrances still have booths from when they *were* staffed.

You've just made my point though that the colour of the card is irrelevant if no one is there to see it being used.

Besides which, living near Yonge & Bloor, I've entered the main entrance to the station many many times and not seen a single TTC employee in the booth or near the gates. It's the busiest entrance to the busiest station in the network and it's often unstaffed. It's a staffing issue.

The colour of the card doesn't even matter if you're caught on camera, because the camera and tap data are time-coded and synced.

I want a card that shows in hand that it's the kid's card. Until then, thanks for the free ride SUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? A fare inspector can check your card at any time anyway. What difference does colour make?

Make it a shiny bright yellow card so fare inspectors can CLEARLY see what's going on.

They must already be deaf and blind then, if they didn't see or hear the tap differences.

Last edited:
Why? A fare inspector can check your card at any time anyway. What difference does colour make?
A yellow card is needed to separate things and make it clear as day. All around. Until then, it's not good enough. Free rides are everywhere.
I'm not even trolling, I am actually quite serious about the kids having a different coloured card.

Back