News   Mar 28, 2024
 464     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 312     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's the benefit of eliminating speed cameras?
Less tickets......LOL.

I've gotten 2 of these things already, and they were for going 11 and 12 clicks over the limit respectively.
Doing 42 kmh in a 30 zone shouldnt be a ticket. Its a total money grab.
Thats why I always called John Tory "Greedface" because thats what he is.

I'm glad he got caught cheating on his wife, and I hope she takes him to the cleaners.
They got married in 1978, I think that was just before prenups were made legal in Canada

40 percent above the limit shouldn't be a ticket? I'd like to see the traffic engineers or those who suggested the speeds comment.

The following is bot meant to be snarky but genuine curiosity... I always see comment about traffic (speeding) infractions as 'money grabs' but don't see any evidence to support. Could it be a lack of understand why speeds are set particular ways?

To keep on topic, are there any candidates that don't agree with the cameras?

Last edited:
Alejandra Bravo is apparently mulling taking a shot at the Mayoralty.

There's a good deal to be said for her merits as a candidate but having just arrived at City Council w/the last election, and after having done so following countless unsuccessful attempts to win office previously, it seems awfully ambitious.

40 percent above the limit shouldn't be a ticket? I'd like to see the traffic engineers or those who suggested the speeds comment.

The following is bot meant to be snarky but genuine curiosity... I always see comment about traffic (speeding) infractions as 'money grabs' but don't see any evidence to support. Could it be a lack of understand why speeds are set particular ways?

To keep on topic, are there any candidates that don't agree with the cameras?
Going 40 in a residential zone is slow enough. Of course its a money grab.
The City makes tens of millions of dollars on speed cams annually.

As I said before in another thread, install speed bumps in school zones or high pedestrian accident streets.
I have no problem with speed bumps. Thats what they do in Oakville.

I dont know yet which candidate is against speed cameras (if any), but I'm going to send some emails and find out

Going 40 in a residential zone is slow enough. Of course its a money grab.

As I said before in another thread, install speed bumps in school zones or high pedestrian accident streets.
I have no problem with speed bumps. Thats what they do in Oakville.

I dont know yet which candidate is against speed cameras (if any), but I'm going to send some emails and find out
Why don't you just.... not speed.

Less tickets......LOL.

I've gotten 2 of these things already, and they were for going 11 and 12 clicks over the limit respectively.
Thats why I always called John Tory "Greedface" because thats what he is.
What is the point of having traffic laws, then, if any driver can just decide that something shouldn't be a ticket?

Here's a thought: have you tried driving at the speed limit? It's real simple, and you get to hold on to your cash. Win win.

Going 40 in a residential zone is slow enough.

There is a compelling argument that it is not slow enough.

1676300931162.png

From: https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/pedestrians/speedandfatalities/index.html

This is not accurate.

The City collect a total of 34M (gross) in revenue from the program's inception in July '20 to Oct '22.

That would equal 14.57M gross per annum.

However, that's before deducting program cost:

Cameras: 2.5M per annum + charge backs from Transportation, and Legal.

At most, they are netting under 12M per year, on a 16B annual budget.

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/9321380/toronto-speed-camera-program-revenue/

What is the point of having traffic laws, then, if any driver can just decide that something shouldn't be a ticket?

Here's a thought: have you tried driving at the speed limit? It's real simple, and you get to hold on to your cash. Win win.
Its not that simple.
Going from 30 kmh to 40 is only a matter of slightly pressing the gas pedal too hard.
You barely notice in todays modern cars.

I do drive relatively slow. I just think going 41 in a 30 zone shouldnt be a ticket.
I also think if the government is that concerned with saving lives why dont they install speed bumps in school zones?!
Oakville has them. They work great because if you dont slow down you will wreck your car

There is a compelling argument that it is not slow enough.

View attachment 456012
From: https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/pedestrians/speedandfatalities/index.html

This is not accurate.

The City collect a total of 34M (gross) in revenue from the program's inception in July '20 to Oct '22.

That would equal 14.57M gross per annum.

However, that's before deducting program cost:

Cameras: 2.5M per annum + charge backs from Transportation, and Legal.

At most, they are netting under 12M per year, on a 16B annual budget.

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/9321380/toronto-speed-camera-program-revenue/
That was during the pandemic. A lot less cars on the road.
I would like to see the numbers for 2023 at years end

Trying to pull this back on topic to say that Mikey Ford (as suggested by CP24; I know...) would be a massive embarrassment (international headlines about Crack smoking relations return) and more meaningfully a sign that our democracy is deeply flawed when this is the best, brightest and most capable candidate a city like Toronto can suggest.

I just think going 41 in a 30 zone shouldnt be a ticket.
Even though it leads to over 3 times the deaths?

I think anyone who thinks that it's okay to go 40 in a 30 zone should have their licence permanently removed - at least on residential streets, where two cars have to be careful while passing each other.

If there are any 30-km/hr zones on arteries built for 80 ... then I can see that might be problematic - though the lowest I've seen is 40 km/hr.

Can we get a separate thread for specifics of the discussion of speed cameras and speed tickets and associated topics? This is a major election for Toronto with lots to talk about and half the posts in this thread it seems are diversions on speeds cameras and road speed (important topics, but maybe not for this thread unless discussing how it interacts with the election or candidates' platforms).

Back