News   May 03, 2024
 877     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 545     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 266     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poll is out.

If the election was held today, 29 per cent of decided voters would cast their ballots for Chow while 20 per cent would choose Bailao.

The latest poll from Mainstreet Research has Chow down by three percentage points compared to last week’s poll. Meanwhile, Bailao jumped up by four points.

Mark Saunders is in third with 13 per cent of support, followed by Josh Matlow with 11 per cent of decided voters picking him.

Mitzie Hunter and Anthony Furey are tied with 9 per cent of support.

Of course the NDP is a left wing party and probably at the far end of the spectrum FOR CANADA. But in a world view they are terribly centrist!
Okay, but by Canadian standards her party is still far Left

As far as the NDP go, they're not even far left for Canada.

See; Animal Protection Party of Canada, Communist Party of Canada, Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada, Marijuana Party of Canada, Parti Libre Canada (Those are of the ones that still have valid registration with Elections Canada)
If you go read my post again, I said NDP was far Left of all the major CDN parties, which is what they are.
Link: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/2023-toronto-mayoral-by-election.34980/post-1956300

Last edited:
Disregard one of the many points you have that are either provably wrong, or entirely without any foundation or evidence, so as to imply you had some type of legitimate point somewhere along the way?

Pass.

Your assertions are comically absurd. That said from someone not particularly likely to vote Chow, btw.

There are fair critiques to be made of her campaign, but you have offered none.

Instead you've offered slander, libel, absurdity and discriminatory BS.
What have I said thats slanderous, libel or discriminatory??
Are you saying because Chow is of Chinese descent she cannot be criticized??
All I've said is if Vincent Ke was being watched by CSIS, you can bet Chow will be as well.
This is what CSIS does. Its their job

You started this silly meander by saying CISIS would be watching Chow because 'she's far Left". You probably need to turn down the hysteria and return to Planet Earth
Not being hysterical at all. You're the one who seems offended by my post(s).
Try to debate politics without making ad hominem attacks (if you can)

Are you saying because Chow is of Chinese descent she cannot be criticized??

Implying she's under the influence of the PRC is not just "criticism".

All I've said is if Vincent Ke was being watched by CSIS[…]

Ke was born in the PRC; and has known connections to the CCP.

Chow was born in British Hong Kong and has zero known connections to the CCP.

[…] you can bet Chow will be as well.
This is what CSIS does. Its their job

No it's not. CSIS' job is protecting Canadian citizens from foreign attacks and influence. Perhaps you're mistaking CSIS for 1960's CIA? Secretly spying on Asian Canadian politicians with zero reason would be criminal.

And because I need to say this yet again, British Hong Kong ≠ PRC.

Implying she's under the influence of the PRC is not just "criticism".

Ke was born in the PRC; and has known connections to the CCP.

Chow was born in British Hong Kong and has zero known connections to the CCP.

No it's not. CSIS' job is protecting Canadian citizens from foreign attacks and influence. Perhaps you're mistaking CSIS for 1960's CIA? Secretly spying on Asian Canadian politicians with zero reason would be criminal.

And because I need to say this yet again, British Hong Kong ≠ PRC.
I never implied Chow is corrupt or thats she's coontrolled by the CCP.

All I said was if Vincent Ke was being watched, and since his position is (or was) a lot less important than Chow's is (or will be if she's elected), its only logical for CSIS to keep an eye on her.

Especially since she's NDP

Last edited:
Some of those are arguable even at that end, i.e. more "fringe" than "left" per se--APP more like "Green, only re animals"; and Marijuana & PLC having more natural affinity w/libertarian or Bernierite forces.
I was primarily going by what conservatives consider left-wing policies and politics. Social libertarians are often rejected by the fiscal libertarians who tend to lean heavily to the authoritarian side.

But of course, keep in mind that those screaming out "NDP = far left" (particularly common in Sun/Post-type media) are prone to Overton-window-shifting so that hard right political forces are the "true" moderates.
Oh for sure. The NDP is further to the right than most of the *centrist* parties in Europe.

Those interested might want to take a look at Political Compass' polling, and where our parties sit:

And note that's from 2021; before PPC-courting Polievre took power.

I find those numbers for Bailao suspect. Should they turn out to have some validity it would mean literally every other pollster has been completely wrong.
As I joked about before; I think it's being done to intentionally position Bailão as the runner up/first loser. Why? I have an inkling she's gonna make a Federal run.

Last edited:

Back