170     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen Del Duca was preparing to take over the leadership. His local campaign launch had a lot of high-ranking Liberals, including Trudeau - his self-perceived popularity and his connections weren't enough to keep the seat, of course. I won't miss him.

Not only did he lose, but he got crushed by almost 20 points and he lost virtually every poll in the riding. It wasn't a "at least with some dignity intact" loss like that of say, Charles Sousa in Mississauga.

Vaughan also bankrolled the Fords municipally, so it isn't that surprising that Doug Ford is very popular there.

While emphasizing that in an ideal world one should not select candidates based on sex, skin colour or ethnicity, I do think this province is over due for a major party leader who isn't 'white'.

Clearly any candidate irrespective of their phenotype ought to be highly competent, have leadership skills and some charisma to boot.

I am rather certain those can be found of people in any background, and effort should be made to recruit diversity into the race.

Then let merit (as much as it ever does) be the deciding factor.

Mitzi Hunter would seem an obvious choice to run at least.

It would be nice to see a First Nations/indigenous candidate; I can think offhand of who that might be for the Liberals.

Ideally, I'd like to see a patrician leader who will turn the OLP into a boutique third party of wealthy professionals and Bay Street types.

Is Andrew Coyne up for the job?

It sort of already is a club for yuppies and Bay Street suits.

That being said, your post is the best. I'm with you!

I couldn't conceive of a less inspiring leader.

I can see his platform now:

I promise to hold a press conference twice a day, every day, even when I have nothing to say.

I promise a Tim Horton's Kiosk in every public building in Ontario.

I promise GO Stations..........ummm..... in places that don't exist yet.

I promise to get very little done, because I'm always on at or my way to a microphone.

I’m not sure I understand the point of rebuilding the Ontario Liberal Party. They decided to go hard left under Wynne and were slaughtered in the election. We already have a more credible left party, so why resurrect another? I get that if you’re a party insider it’s entirely about who’s in and who’s out, but what do the Libs offer the rest of us that we can’t get from the NDP?

I’m not sure I understand the point of rebuilding the Ontario Liberal Party. They decided to go hard left under Wynne and were slaughtered in the election. We already have a more credible left party, so why resurrect another? I get that if you’re a party insider it’s entirely about who’s in and who’s out, but what do the Libs offer the rest of us that we can’t get from the NDP?
Like it or not, the Liberals are electable and the NDP aren't.

I'm not a party member........and I totally get your point.

But I don't want a political world of binary choices.

Left/Right, Yes/No , ideological purity espoused (even if its never real)

I want to see more ideas in the political window, more ability to blend the best of different ideologies into a coherent offer, more willingness to compromise.

I appreciate that the Liberals need not be the venue for that ambition and that electoral reform may be very helpful to same, though not a prerequisite.

But still, I don't see the value in ditching a centrist party (as a concept) which slides left or right based on the mood of the electorate, or the substance of an issue.

Like it or not, the Liberals are electable and the NDP aren't.
If Del Duca was ever named leader of the Liberal party, the NDP would be much more electable. Personally I would never touch the Liberal party with a 10 foot pole if he was named leader.

Heck, I cant believe i'm saying this but if the choice was between Ford and Del Duca exclusively (even though I would completely destroy my ballot if that happened) I would be more inclined to vote for Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back