News   Aug 14, 2024
 720     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 642     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 542     0 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

"Trudeau Announces Liberal Gun Control Plan"

The Liberal plan will ban all military-style assault rifles, including the AR-15. Trudeau says the government will work with the provinces and territories “to give municipalities the ability to further restrict — or ban — handguns.”

I will be interested to see a Constitutional analysis of this aspect, specifically in light of Section 15 (Equality). I'm challenged to think of an example of criminal law being applied differently in different parts of the country.

I still foresee Jagmeet and co. losing seats to all three other parties though.

Or, *four* other parties (Lib/Con/Green/Bloc).

However, he could do that and *still* equal Jack's 2004 seat total of 19--which'd be a net loss of over half the party's seats; but still above the AudreyAlexa mean, still above 1974, and not necessarily fatal a la the CCF in 1958.

And that's, how shall we put it, likelier now than prior to the start of the campaign, when it really did look like total decimation and loss of official party status was in the works. Or at this point, to continue the "Jagmeet's leading the party to disaster" narrative as if it were a month ago is ducking the reality of how his campaign's transpired--or if true disaster still awaits, it'll be more the vestigial backhanded outcome of Liberal vote-galvanizing scare tactics against the Conservatives...

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV party tracking poll:
CON 34.3%, LIB 33.1%, NDP 12.8%, GRN 10.6%, BQ 5.8%, PPC 2.9%.

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV tracking poll for preferred PM:
JustinTrudeau 30.5%, AndrewScheer 28.0%, Jagmeet Singh 8.8%, Elizabeth May 8.5%, Maxime Bernier 3.5%, @yfblanchet 2.0%.

Last edited:
Or, *four* other parties (Lib/Con/Green/Bloc).

However, he could do that and *still* equal Jack's 2004 seat total of 19--which'd be a net loss of over half the party's seats; but still above the AudreyAlexa mean, still above 1974, and not necessarily fatal a la the CCF in 1958.

And that's, how shall we put it, likelier now than prior to the start of the campaign, when it really did look like total decimation and loss of official party status was in the works. Or at this point, to continue the "Jagmeet's leading the party to disaster" narrative as if it were a month ago is ducking the reality of how his campaign's transpired--or if true disaster still awaits, it'll be more the vestigial backhanded outcome of Liberal vote-galvanizing scare tactics against the Conservatives...

My well-connected NDP friend says they are concerned they might not hit double digits in seat count. There is a decent chance they won't have a single seat east of Ontario.

Timmins-James Bay, Hamilton Centre, Windsor-Tecumseh are safe. They will win four or five in BC, and probably one in Manitoba and Alberta. That's 9 or 10 seats nationwide.

Apparently there have been a lot of leadership issues at the Ottawa central campaign, including slow nominations, voter database issues and bad top-down communication. Add that to an unpopular leader and "Anyone But Conservative" vote, and it spells trouble.

Probably the biggest blow for Singh will be if he is unable to win any seats in Brampton, his home town. After all, his leadership was supposed to bring in support from new Canadians.

Last edited:
Today's Liberal promise concerned Healthcare.

The promise, family doctors for everyone, robust, universal mental healthcare; steps towards Universal Pharmacare.

I groaned when I saw the funding numbers. Touted at 6B over 4 years, its a shade under 2B in year 4.

That's insufficient to fund the first 2 promises assuming the Fed's paid 1/2 and the provinces the rest, never mind make a dent on the pharmacare file.

This promise is designed, very clearly to make people believe Pharmcare would be imminent if the Liberals are reelected when that clearly is not the case based on their numbers.

How completely disappointing and frustrating.

Today's Liberal promise concerned Healthcare.

The promise, family doctors for everyone, robust, universal mental healthcare; steps towards Universal Pharmacare.

I groaned when I saw the funding numbers. Touted at 6B over 4 years, its a shade under 2B in year 4.

That's insufficient to fund the first 2 promises assuming the Fed's paid 1/2 and the provinces the rest, never mind make a dent on the pharmacare file.

This promise is designed, very clearly to make people believe Pharmcare would be imminent if the Liberals are reelected when that clearly is not the case based on their numbers.

How completely disappointing and frustrating.

What got me was they pharmacare plans by 2027 we might bring it in.

My well-connected NDP friend says they are concerned they might not hit double digits in seat count. There is a decent chance they won't have a single seat east of Ontario.

Timmins-James Bay, Hamilton Centre, Windsor-Tecumseh are safe. They will win four or five in BC, and probably one in Manitoba and Alberta. That's 9 or 10 seats nationwide.

Apparently there have been a lot of leadership issues at the Ottawa central campaign, including slow nominations, voter database issues and bad top-down communication. Add that to an unpopular leader and "Anyone But Conservative" vote, and it spells trouble.

Probably the biggest blow for Singh will be if he is unable to win any seats in Brampton, his home town. After all, his leadership was supposed to bring in support from new Canadians.

They have to win Brampton but they also have to do very well in Barrheaven which i am not sure if they wikll.

Add that to an unpopular leader and "Anyone But Conservative" vote, and it spells trouble.

Except as per my point, Jagmeet Singh is *not* unpopular *now*. Or at this point, it's the same old ABC vote coalescing around the Liberals that stands as more of a threat--that is, he might wind up capturing the imagination more than capturing seats if the stop-Scheer binary dynamic becomes too stiff to reverse...

Except as per my point, Jagmeet Singh is *not* unpopular *now*. Or at this point, it's the same old ABC vote coalescing around the Liberals that stands as more of a threat--that is, he might wind up capturing the imagination more than capturing seats if the stop-Scheer binary dynamic becomes too stiff to reverse...

The party is at 13% which is far lower then it should be by this time of the election now with that said some think they could end up with less then 20 seats.

The party is at 13% which is far lower then it should be by this time of the election now with that said some think they could end up with less then 20 seats.

One thing I have learned over the years that if your share of the vote goes close to or below 10% in the polls you will likely start to lose voters. People would rather jump ship and vote for someone they know will win rather than let the person they hate win.

In this case, if the NDP support drops much more than it has you are likely to see support bleed off to the liberals in order to prevent a conservative victory.

Back