News   May 03, 2024
 942     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 571     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

No, but I think the province should take paratransit (Wheel-Trans) away from the city and have the TTC focus solely on conventional transit. IMO one of the reasons why Brampton Transit and Miway are so successful (relatively) is because they don't have to worry about paratransit - it's handled by Peel Region.
I think it should be the whole thing. The standard of service will never be up to par as long as the TTC is funded solely at the city level.
We really need to see some numbers crunched to understand the puts and takes. If the Province were to relieve the City of the capital cost of subways, but declined to fund LRT or streetcar or bus lane improvements, is that a net gain for the city or a loss? And what about future projects after the DRL and North Yonge - it sets up a scenario where the city clamours for further lines which the Province may consider extravagant. And what if the Province wades in on value for money eg cut and cover instead of deep bore for a line? Does the City have a veto? Must the City take the hit on disruption? Part of me thinks that bypassing Toronto Council is a good thing, but part of me thinks they need to keep skin in the game lest their antics get even sillier.

I can understand why they would posture around a shorter planning and execution cycle. It's an easy promise to make and not that easy for anyone to prove success or failure. Electrification is a good example - the TPAP went smoothly and kept to schedule, it is ML's vaccilations and the Province's should we/shouldnt we deliberation (it was first promised around 2010, after all) that is dragging the thing out. Perhaps a better stage gate process where progress is assessed more often and the milestones more transparent would keep things going in a straighter line.

True story: in 1960-61, the construction industry in Toronto was in disarray due to unscrupulous contractors abusing immigrant labour, which led to union unrest with serious levels of violence, intimidation, and disruption to the contruction boom of the day. The City and Province basically tut-tutted their way along but did nothing tangible to intervene .....until.... the disruptions began to happen on the University Subway construction. At that point, the Province found the conviction to fix things. The history lesson that the Wynne Liberals forgot was that delays to infrastructure, especially transit, is a voter issue. Brown's policy people seem to have remebered this and know which noise to make, even if the solution is a bit simplistic.

- Paul
I think it's a recognition of the fact it should not take 5 years to build LRT. It didn't in Vancouver.

I'll breathe a sigh of relief with genuine, certified, actual, real, bona-fide shovels hitting ground on Hamilton LRT in 2019.

While I am not a card-carrying PC, I am not feeling the fears of a Harris-era slaughter.

That said, PC just essentially suggested a defacto upload of the subway to Metrolinx (Eglinton Crosstown style). It looks like Metrolinx, quacks like Metrolinx, and is Metrolinx -- even though they're not saying "Metrolinx". I wonder what they'll do to the Metrolinx name/structure though, but whatever regional brand they slap on that entity, it'll essentially be the same entity operating the subway, SmartTrack, UPX and GO if this happens. I wonder how that will work though. Going to be messy, given TTC complexity, and Toronto's difficulty financing streetcar/bus operations without the revenues of the subway.
According to the document, the province's to pay for construction and maintenance of subways, and TTC gets to keep the revenue.

If I'm understanding this platform correctly, the PCs are promising to dedicated $5 Billion to projects, including the DRL, YNSE and Sheppard East subway, with the stipulation that the feds provide at least 50% funding. However, 100% the SSE is also supposed to be funded from this $5 Billion. So that essentially means that there'd be just $1.5 Billion in provincial funding allocated to the DRL, YNSE and Sheppard East, meaning that only the SSE would be built.

Am I understanding this correctly?

If I'm understanding this platform correctly, the PCs are promising to dedicated $5 Billion to projects, including the DRL, YNSE and Sheppard East subway, with the stipulation that the feds provide at least 50% funding. However, 100% the SSE is also supposed to be funded from this $5 Billion. So that essentially means that there'd be just $1.5 Billion in provincial funding allocated to the DRL, YNSE and Sheppard East, meaning that only the SSE would be built.

I don't believe so.

Keep in mind the province is already committed to a portion of SSE costs.

Its my understanding this promise is to cover the portion of costs currently assumed to be covered by the City.

The province previously committed roughly 1.5B if memory serves.

So the City' portion, based on current cost estimates is in the range of 1.9B

That would be subtracted from the 5B.

Leaving 3.1B

The expectation that the platform lays out is that there will be Federal funding for the Relief Line and other projects at a 50% match.

If this is the case, that would make 6.2B the remaining sum available.

Still likely a bit short, but rather larger than the number you had above.

I don't believe so.

Its my understanding this promise is to cover the portion of costs currently assumed to be covered by the City.

The province previously committed roughly 1.5B if memory serves.

So the City' portion, based on current cost estimates is in the range of 1.9B

That would be subtracted from the 5B.

Leaving 3.1B

The expectation that the platform lays out is that there will be Federal funding for the Relief Line and other projects at a 50% match.

If this is the case, that would make 6.2B the remaining sum available.

Still likely a bit short, but rather larger than the number you had above.

It's a bit ambiguous, in my opinion. Yours is the more optimistic situation. But even then, $6.2 Billion is not enough to fully fund the DRL, let alone the YNSE and the Sheppard Subway extension. So at least two of those three projects will be cancelled, unless the federal government is exceptionally generous.

It's not clear whether the billion for SSE is supposed to come from the $5 billion pot. The way the document is formatted, I would say that it isn't. The document is clear that the $5 billion is net new spending above existing commitments however, so that means that at worst, it's actually $4 billion in "new" subway spending above the SSE.

My interpration is that there is $10 billion in new subway money provided a federal matching, which would get you the DRL and Yonge North.

Going into these levels of interpretation to try and find a way for the party to not be dedicating the money properly is silly, the document clearly states a $5 billion contribution to new subway lines, the party clearly intends to invest and fund some new lines. It's going to look poorly on them if they spend all this time talking new subway lines and then they end up saying "well, technically we are spending all our money on an existing subway line that is already funded.. so no new funding for you!" This isn't some nefarious plot to rob Toronto of new subway lines.

Regg Cohn has a new column out right now discussing this. To echo mdrejhon, he discusses how Brown is distancing himself from the Harris era slash and burn politics that has plagued the party for 20 years.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...and-what-has-he-done-with-the-tory-party.html

I've long said that Brown isn't stupid. I can tell he knows what he is doing. And he knows that Harris/Hudak style politics won't help.

If the province owned the subway it would make fare integration a whole lot easier.

If you enter the system by dome bus service (GO, TTC, Miway, BT/Zum,York/Viva,Durham, whatever) a tap onto the subway is free.....and all the fare revenue goes to the originating agency.....a trip that starts with the subway, the province gets the revenue and any last mile bus connection/extension is free.

It's not clear whether the billion for SSE is supposed to come from the $5 billion pot. The way the document is formatted, I would say that it isn't. The document is clear that the $5 billion is net new spending above existing commitments however, so that means that at worst, it's actually $4 billion in "new" subway spending above the SSE.

My interpration is that there is $10 billion in new subway money provided a federal matching, which would get you the DRL and Yonge North.

Going into these levels of interpretation to try and find a way for the party to not be dedicating the money properly is silly, the document clearly states a $5 billion contribution to new subway lines, the party clearly intends to invest and fund some new lines. It's going to look poorly on them if they spend all this time talking new subway lines and then they end up saying "well, technically we are spending all our money on an existing subway line that is already funded.. so no new funding for you!" This isn't some nefarious plot to rob Toronto of new subway lines.

$5 Billion is provincial funding, with the federal government matching. That’s $10 Billion in new subway funding. The DRL is $6.5 Billion. The YNSE is $5.5 Billion. Sheppard East is unknown, but almost certainly more than $5.5 Billion (its longer than YNSE.). Therefore, that $10 Billion in new subway funding will only get you one of those three projects.

DRL = $6.5 Billion
YNSE = $5.5 Billion
Sheppard = More than $5.5 Billion
DRL + YNSE = $12 Billion
DRL + Sheppard = More than $12 Billion
YNSE + Sheppard = More than $11 Billion
DRL + YNSE + Sheppard = More than $17.5 Billion

The only way two of these projects get built is with a significant contribution from Toronto and York Region, and that assumes that these projects dont increase in cost at all. And getting all three built is just implausible.

Of course, this assumes no reduction in the scope of these projects

Last edited:
According to the document, the province's to pay for construction and maintenance of subways, and TTC gets to keep the revenue.

Here:
Page 53 of the platform pledges to apply the Eglinton Crosstown operations and maintenance model to the rest of the TTC subway:
https://twitter.com/CoreyMichaels/status/934512504037937153

Still a bit suspect as it leaves Toronto without complete control, but it's still better than nothing.

Ultimately, this will probably depend on how willing the city is in giving up its subway system. I doubt it's a central part of the platform (PCs are likely aiming for a taxation/healthcare/hydro based platform)- transit is largely an attempt at getting into the 416 and some of the 905 region.

YSNE is up to $5.5? I remember it being only $4 a few years ago..

I suspect Sheppard would be cheaper per km than YSNE since YSNE has that extremely expensive underground train yard that they want to build north of the Highway 7 station.

Again, I suspect these are rought numbers. It's a platform, not a hard document. Its not like they are legally bound to $5 billion in spending only, It can go up and down a bit. The idea is that they want to spend a good chunk of change on subways.

Mustn't forget the asterisk (*) and the legalize disclaimers, somewhere in the fine print.

This disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB’s, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).
No license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any Intellectual property rights are granted herein.
Cute Fuzzy Bunny (CFB) disclaims all liability, including liability for infringement of any proprietary rights, relating to use of information in this specification. CFB does not warrant or represent that such use will not infringe such rights. In fact, that’s a very strong possibility.
Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. CFB disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of CFB; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to CFB. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself.
These materials are provided by CFB as a service to his friends and/or customers and may be used for informational purposes only. Single copies may be distributed at will since it is unlikely that CFB created this material independently as he has no creative skill.
TRADEMARK INFORMATION: CFB and the CFB logo are registered trademarks of CFB.
CFB's trademarks may be used publicly with permission only from CFB. Fair use of CFB's trademarks in advertising and promotion of CFB products requires proper acknowledgment. If you use CFB’s trademarks without CFB’s express approval, he will get really pissed off.
*All other brands and names are property of their respective owners.
OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS: Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without CFB's prior written permission, which is freely granted as long as you take CFB’s name off in some lame attempt to either hide the materials origin or in the hilarious belief that the receiver of this material will think that you created it on your own, or somehow will think you more clever and intelligent that you really are. Except as expressly provided herein, CFB does not grant any express or implied right to you under any patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information. Other rights may be granted to you by CFB in writing or incorporated elsewhere in the Materials.
DISCLAIMER: THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL CFB OR HIS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF CFB HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CFB further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. CFB may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. CFB makes no commitment to update the Materials. In other words, if you screw it up, you’re on your own.

Batteries not included! Cords not included!

YSNE is up to $5.5? I remember it being only $4 a few years ago..

It's $5.6 Billion now:

The Yonge extension would push Line 1 about 7.4 km north from Finch station to the Richmond Hill Centre, and early estimates indicate it would cost about $5.6 billion.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ion-unless-province-pays-for-relief-line.html

I suspect Sheppard would be cheaper per km than YSNE since YSNE has that extremely expensive underground train yard that they want to build north of the Highway 7 station.

Yes, that is true. Although given Sheppard East would be longer, I'd expect it to cost around the same.

Again, I suspect these are rought numbers. It's a platform, not a hard document. Its not like they are legally bound to $5 billion in spending only, It can go up and down a bit. The idea is that they want to spend a good chunk of change on subways.

I get what the idea is. I just believe its misleading and disingenuous to suggest to voters that they want to build all these subway projects, when the publicly available cost estimates (a 15 second Google query away) shows that the funding they're proposing to commit wont get them anywhere close to delivering on those projects.

Unfortunately, the voters will only hear that they're getting the Sheppard, YNSE and DRL subways, not understanding that their proposal makes delivering on them virtually impossible.

It's pretty common for a new government to (accounting wise) backout all previous commitments to create an available funding pool, and pledge those funds as part of their promises.

Good campaigning requires promising the largest number possible and you do that by re-promising on old commitments (whether you made them or someone else). Distracted mushy-middle voters will go for the largest promises with the lowest tax increase (what they perceive as highest value).

I would be very surprised if that $5B was entirely new money. If it is, the PCs need to make a bit of noise about that.

Back