News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Now, it depends on how strong that 30% is- 30% is plenty enough to get elected.

70 per cent of Ontarians disapprove of Premier Wynne: poll

A majority of Ontarians disapprove of Premier Kathleen Wynne, according to a new poll which measures national and provincial approval ratings of Canada’s premiers.

The Mainstreet/Postmedia poll finds Wynne has the lowest approval of all 10 provincial premiers, both on a national and provincial level.

Seventy per cent of those surveyed in Ontario disapprove of Wynne while nationally, 48 percent disapprove of her. That is just slightly ahead of Quebec premier Philippe Couillard at 47 percent.

Ironically Couillard, along with Alberta premier Rachel Notley, enjoys the highest approval rating nationally, at 45 percent.

The poll also finds Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s approval rating is at 54 percent across Canada. His strongest support comes from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec while he scored the lowest in Saskatchewan and Alberta.
http://www.680news.com/2017/06/22/70-percent-ontarians-disapprove-premier-wynne-poll/

Link to actual poll:
https://www.scribd.com/document/351981614/Mainstreet-Premiers-2017-A#from_embed

Last edited:

Few thought they would win the last election after McGuinty and the gas plants let alone run a away with a majority. I would think odds are bleak but I wont believe the Liberals will lose Ontario until i see it. They always seem to have tricks that work.

From what I've heard, Wynne is an excellent campaigner and great to meet in-person.

(Now if she was as good at fixing hydro and implementing GO RER as she is at campaigning)

From what I've heard, Wynne is an excellent campaigner and great to meet in-person.

(Now if she was as good at fixing hydro and implementing GO RER as she is at campaigning)

"She" or more appropriately the party fixed hydro for those that matter to them just not for you and me.

"Excellent Campaigner" basically means good at lying.
That skill doesn't really solve any problems, just help one get elected.

e94241b07cd8a19e2d5ccd608d08e402.jpg

While that's partly true, in today's political world good campaigner means good fundraiser.
That's more true between elections. During the campaign, I think they spend close to the max. The key is to find loopholes and get money spent on your campaign that doesn't count towards the totals.

I just saw an ad for the PC's with Patrick Brown. It basically said that everyone is welcome and "it doesn't matter" who you are. That is quite the move to the centre and even the left.

That's more true between elections. During the campaign, I think they spend close to the max. The key is to find loopholes and get money spent on your campaign that doesn't count towards the totals.

Because of how bad things have become in the elections "best campaigners" now and likely even more going forward are just calling out dirty truths about our modern day Politics and campaigns. This resonates as we have such a high number of disgusted apathetic voters who feel a great disconnection from Government parties as more and more money has piled into these campaigns.

The basic recipe being used over the past decade:
  • find a candidate willing to speak in everyday slang
  • dress or wear a baseball cap to look more like the average Joe
  • call out these filthy fundraising games
  • call out the direct Political connections to the media
  • call out the corporate influences and questionable financial dealings
  • tell the voters all the ways they're not represented by these Parties
  • oh and keep it simple we live in the "twitter-verse" Find simple short slogans that will exaggerate and package each campaign issue and repeat them over and over.
  • branding works. Choose a team name and slogan people can feel apart of
They are no longer forced to lie as much in the campaign and have turned to telling some hard "truths" in many respects. Unfortunately what we are seeing is the pot calling the kettle black and the side calling out the other is just as guilty but desperate for power. What will be interesting in the coming decades is how voters react if nothing really changes for the better.

Last edited:
I just saw an ad for the PC's with Patrick Brown. It basically said that everyone is welcome and "it doesn't matter" who you are. That is quite the move to the centre and even the left.

Ya they are completely reforming the Party. After they got their arses handed to them by the scandal ridden Liberals last election DoFo came out publicly and said "they need an enema". They obviously listened to him and have desperately taken him into all the bi-elections as well.

Whether sincere with this new inclusiveness or not who knows? But they certainly have a plan with Brown being a softer, middle ground "C" and certainly got the message to start fresh and wash to thought of Hudak and his machete from the minds of all voters.

IMO Ontario wants responsible governments but there is little tolerance for extreme hack and slash politics after what Harris did, and even less tolerance for non-inclusiveness. If they can come off sincere enough and convince voters there wont be massive public sector cuts or a deterioration of overdue infrastructure spending then they likely have a good chance.

Last edited:
If Brown stuck to being inclusive and financially responsible, I would give the PC's a chance. I just wonder what SoCon MPP's like Monte McNaughton think about this new progressive leaning vision, though they probably don't have a choice in the matter.

If Brown stuck to being inclusive and financially responsible, I would give the PC's a chance. I just wonder what SoCon MPP's like Monte McNaughton think about this new progressive leaning vision, though they probably don't have a choice in the matter.

They're not happy at all. Everything they know and been told to stand firm for is drastically changing and softening. And these types are no longer in a position to stronghold the party. If they lose the election there will be another internal power struggle. If they win, the Conservative Party will never be the same in Ontario again. And that's a good thing

Last edited:
Hypothetically, if enough disaffected SoCons voted for the fringe Trillium party, could it hurt the PC's chances of winning?

Back