News   Jul 16, 2024
 189     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 471     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 592     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

That’s not what I meant. If they want to win in 2022 they need to start chipping away at him now and never let up. That’s how the Tories got to Wynne.
The Tories didnt do anything to get to Wynne that's the thing. They could've had a rubber duck as their candidate, and as long as Wynne was running in the election they would have still came in 1st or 2nd and the Liberals would end up losing. Wynne was just that unpopular it was over for her from the moment she decided not to resign before the campaign started.

Also, as if you didn't know I was going to bring this up, we've been FPTP-ed.....again.

Minority rule.....and you thought that only happened in autocracies. Silly you. I present to you a bona fide demagogue in full power with the support of a minority of people.

Buck-a-beer though. Bread and circuses innit.

Definitely. The war on the car is over! The persecution of drivers is at an end!

I look forward to a 18 stop subway in Scarborough paid for by the private sector and $1 beer for everyone!
Doug Fraud to decriminalize impaired driving.

It helps reduce law enforcement costs.

After all, to him, life is cheap.

Also, as if you didn't know I was going to bring this up, we've been FPTP-ed.....again.

Minority rule.....and you thought that only happened in autocracies. Silly you. I present to you a bona fide demagogue in full power with the support of a minority of people.

Fraud's playbook:

When in doubt, intoxicate the masses, so that they would accept painful cuts to everything we hold dear.

It's extremely ironic that Doug Fraud is teetotal.

Doug Fraud to decriminalize impaired driving.

It helps reduce law enforcement costs.

After all, to him, life is cheap.

This reminds me....I got booked by a MoL safety inspector at work today. Maybe they'll sack all the inspectors. I would have voted for that.

Not for Ford, but I would have voted for a few job losses.

Here are some recent election.

2018: 40.1% PC, 34.2% NDP, 19.1% Liberal (current result)

2015: 39.5% Liberal, 31.9% CPC, 19.7% NDP

2014: 38.7% Liberal, 31.3% PC, 22.7% NDP

2011: 39.6% CPC, 30.6% NDP, 18.9% Liberal

Based on this, the largest vote was Ford in 2018. The largest margin of victory was Harper in 2011. And yet it seemed the fewest people questioned the election format when the Liberals won in 2014 and 2015. Give it a rest and get the Liberals to re-invent themselves along the lines of Chretien/Martin, without the corruption.

First off on the result to date.

Not exactly what I expected, though I did suggest at previous points that I (sadly) though the PCs were on the road to a slim majority.

While that seems to have proven correct, it right now shows as a larger majority than I would have thought, and a few ridings are so tight that this could be a bit more interesting yet.

Not to say I see anything other that the projected order of outcome and a probably majority, but the various networks are actually calling the PCs elected in 62 atm, and there are few on the 'leading 9' that had pegged for a different outcome and remain close.

I think closer does matter as MPPs are not above floor crossing. Not that I expect to see this, but the threat of it might have a moderating impact (one could hope).

For me, so far, the surprise of the night is Durham. The local PC candidate was thought to be in trouble and at the very least it would be a close race, it has not been.

PTBO has also been interesting and may yet prove more so.

Fraud's playbook:

When in doubt, intoxicate the masses, so that they would accept painful cuts to everything we hold dear.

It's extremely ironic that Doug Fraud is teetotal.

Is he? Damn and he still can't be coherent. He may as well be off his tree, the shit that comes out of his mouth. In fact, if he's like this while straight edge I'm guessing being high would make him tolerable.

Some psilocybin should be a good start to sorting him out.

On the subject of electoral reform, I will be even-handed, when the Campbell PCs in Ottawa captured around 20% of the vote but got 2 seats that was unjust.

Equally so when other parties are routed or rewarded well out of line w/voter intention.

Its very sad that every party experiences this injustice at one time or another, but none can seem to bring themselves to fix it after winning under this rather absurd system.

Here are some recent election.

2018: 40.1% PC, 34.2% NDP, 19.1% Liberal (current result)

2015: 39.5% Liberal, 31.9% CPC, 19.7% NDP

2014: 38.7% Liberal, 31.3% PC, 22.7% NDP

2011: 39.6% CPC, 30.6% NDP, 18.9% Liberal

Based on this, the largest vote was Ford in 2018. The largest margin of victory was Harper in 2011. And yet it seemed the fewest people questioned the election format when the Liberals won in 2014 and 2015. Give it a rest and get the Liberals to re-invent themselves along the lines of Chretien/Martin, without the corruption.

I'm sorry, but I don't give a toss who the minority with absolute power is.....they're all illegitimate.

I'm not a Liberal and I have questioned this sham electoral system since my high school days when I was applying to university to study political science.

I joined the Greens in 2003, at 18, with one issue in mind: electoral reform. I won't give it a rest until we live in a true democracy.....or death. Whichever. Don't really care. Just not giving it a rest. Potemkin democracies aren't my cup of tea.

Its very sad that every party experiences this injustice at one time or another, but none can seem to bring themselves to fix it after winning under this rather absurd system.

Of course not. When power oscillates between two poles there is no incentive to change the status quo.

Trudeau Jr.......I'll never forget his self-serving lie.

Exactly. I knew the outcome for weeks and yet everybody here doubted me. Echo chambers aren't representative of reality.

While there are people here whose ear-to-the-ground on a provincial scale might be a bit tone-deaf, I don't think that's a fair characterization writ large.

One must have a look-see at a Toronto-centric forum, and realize that many members here, apart from their political beliefs live in areas that voted NDP (or Liberal) as the case may be.

Its not that they themselves were representing what they were seeing and hearing, its that that was reflective more of a certain portion of Toronto/GTA, along w/the opinions they may have heard through work or social activities.

I'm not sure how fair it is to ask someone who works/lives in Downtown/Riverdale/Parkdale/Midtown etc. to have a good understanding of the political vibe in Richmond Hill outside of polling data.

I know this board seems to skew left, so at the very least it's nice to see some of the right-leaning members get a government they feel represents their interests.

As I mentioned in another thread, we're lucky to live here. I don't expect anything disastrous, though I expect a somewhat ineffective and inefficient government. Life will go on.

I hope this government does well, and is both fiscally sound and socially conscious, despite what Ford's past and present behaviour tells us about him and his team.

Back