News   Jul 16, 2024
 180     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 933     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I think they were pretty clear that the drug program is not for all drugs right from the get go - just like none of the previous provincial drug programs are free for all either. Wishful thinking isn't reality.

AoD
And if it were otherwise, you can bet your bottom knee-jerk the "cons" would be all over it lambasting the waste of social medicine.

Ok, so maybe my idea to just light my ballot would be more to their liking. It's a fairly blunt statement, no explanation required.

But that would only convey your discomfiture with the offerings to the immediate locale (and perhaps the responding fire department). Acts like declining, spoiling, etc. at least are accounted for in the poll.

BRAUN: Victoria begs for her life

Stories like this reinforce that the Wynne drug plan was made for political reasons, and not medical ones. I would much rather a drug plan that ensures access to expensive drugs, than one that reimburses a few dollars for the most basic types of drugs. Something could have been developed to accommodate those in the low income bracket, but that likely would not have gotten the targeted votes they were after.
The story also raises the question of what experimental drugs OHIP should cover. It does appear that Ontario is lagging behind due to financial reasons and not medical.

Ugh I had to read a Sun opinion piece because of this. Use of these CF drugs depends on specific mutations and the age of patients. Moreover, Orkambi is not without adverse effects or interactions. And the effect of these drugs is "modest". The same goes for a lot of other expensive targeted therapies. Articles like this do a disservice by presuming they amount to a life-saving cure.

That doesn't mean I don't think these therapies should be not covered for appropriate candidates. I have no idea from the article whether this girl is one.

And if it were otherwise, you can bet your bottom knee-jerk the "cons" would be all over it lambasting the waste of social medicine.

Let's just say the dented tuna cans for the welfare crowd sure is going to be ok with the government giving someone 100K/yr just to maintain their chronic conditions.

AoD

Let's just say the dented tuna cans for the welfare crowd sure is going to be ok with the government giving someone 100K/yr just to maintain their chronic conditions.

AoD
Not to mention that Mercury is actually an excellent antibiotic. Truth be told, I actually eat a fair amount of tinned tuna, but I'm fully grown, and that's my choice.
Too Much Tuna Can Cause Mercury Poisoning In Children
And here's the historical tie to this forum:

1995: ‘Tsubouchi diet’ causes uproar in Ontario
The Story

It's a crash diet that is threatening to burn the new Ontario government. Rookie social services minister David Tsubouchi, overseeing drastic cuts to the province's welfare system, has already infuriated opponents by suggesting welfare recipients could make ends meet by haggling with shopkeepers over tins of tuna. Now he's published a welfare shopping list that includes pasta without sauce, bread without butter, and the elusive 69-cent tuna can. Critics are calling it "the nanny state at its worst."

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1995-tsubouchi-diet-causes-uproar-in-ontario

"69c a tin?" It's double that now for the cheapest house-brands of tuna. I hope welfare payments have doubled in that inflationary time-frame.

But that would only convey your discomfiture with the offerings to the immediate locale (and perhaps the responding fire department). Acts like declining, spoiling, etc. at least are accounted for in the poll.

My vote has never counted.....I can live with my protest not counting as well.

Northern Light, Horwath is generally unknown or thought of as slightly more favourable than Wynne or Ford among voters but my reference was dislike of her within the segment of the population that votes NDP. They may rally behind her in this election for pragmatic reasons but if you reference any material from the previous election in 2014 the media coverage was all about how controversial her policy direction was and how much dissent there was within the party about her leadership. I don't think that has gone away it's just that in the last election she took a Patrick Brown centrist compromise position whereas in this election she is kind of taking more of a Ford position: attempt to appeal to populist masses, make gestures towards the fringe base of your party, try to keep out of the headlines for the wrong reasons. Nothing sooths dissent better than winning of course so if the NDP make headway in this election you can bet her star will rise. If no progress is made she is toast.

Actually, I thought that Horwath in 2014 was already tarred for being too "Ford-like", i.e. aiming for the suburban/small-town populist vote and alienating urban lefties in the process--much like Justin a year later, Wynne succeeded through what many saw as campaigning to the left of the NDP. Any populist gestures on Horwath's part this election would be more informed by the unabashed leftism of Corbyn/Sanders than by Ford, i.e. repatriating the lefty deserters while holding the existing base...

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb, I don't this forum should be used for political advertising.

I have stated, and will continue to do so, that I am non-partisan, and this should not be construed to endorse.

That said, I saw this NDP 'ad' going viral yesterday, being shared on FB and on Twitter, and getting media hits as well. As such I thought it worthy of discussion.

dcw4zbjwsaafctp.jpg

I just heard that it caused in the controversy in the United States, where Star Wars fans debated whether an orange colour light sabre was canon, or extended universe.

Which, ironically is quite fitting for the ONDP.

And here I was thinking that was Kate Mulgrew. I just can't seem to get my 'stars' to 'align': (let alone my 'space')
upload_2018-5-5_12-42-48.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-5_12-42-48.jpeg
    upload_2018-5-5_12-42-48.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 255
I haven't seen it, but it certainly doesn't inspire me to get out and vote for Andrea.
I think it was best appreciated through the context of its being posted on May the 4th (be with you). Removed from its date-specificity, though, I can see your point...

Back