News   Jul 19, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 650     1 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

Less people should have voted for her then! :)

Considering the margin, she is definitely not in the position to gloat.

Where is Dalton?
Shouldn't he be on the world's biggest soap box celebrating the vindication of his disastrous reign by the voters of Ontario?

Easy - he has probably been told he should stay out of the picture.

AoD

Good. Then the Liberals will win another majority in 2018.
If the Conservatives make Doug Ford leader, I suspect that would sterilize them for 2022 and maybe even 2026 as well, even if he only lasts a few months. Best place to look for potential leaders is who ran last time.

Frank Klees was second ... though he'll be 67 for the next election. I'm sure the Conservatives would accept an evangelical Christian as leader, but will that get them any traction in the rest of the province?

Christine Elliot is perhaps the most likely choice ... though even she'll be 64 by the next election (Wynne will be 65 if she runs again). Perhaps the best choice for next time.

Randy Hillier would be a relative youngster at 60 - but he's possibly nuttier than Ford. Another great choice for the Liberals though ... but I doubt that the rest of the part would ever take him seriously enough to elect.

Christine Elliot (besides Martow after the recount) is the only PC MPP to win in the GTA for a good reason. She is one of the last Red Tories in the OPC. She would be my preference.

If the Conservatives make Doug Ford leader, I suspect that would sterilize them for 2022 and maybe even 2026 as well, even if he only lasts a few months. Best place to look for potential leaders is who ran last time.

Frank Klees was second ... though he'll be 67 for the next election. I'm sure the Conservatives would accept an evangelical Christian as leader, but will that get them any traction in the rest of the province?

Christine Elliot is perhaps the most likely choice ... though even she'll be 64 by the next election (Wynne will be 65 if she runs again). Perhaps the best choice for next time.

Randy Hillier would be a relative youngster at 60 - but he's possibly nuttier than Ford. Another great choice for the Liberals though ... but I doubt that the rest of the part would ever take him seriously enough to elect.

Well, they have a problem similar to the Republican Party - their hardcore base (Hillier and his ilk) would not put up with anyone soft, and in order to have an urban breakthrough they need the opposite of what their base would stand for (in general, wedge issues notwithstanding). Good luck to them with selecting a leader, they will need it. Now of course there is a special irony to it all - given the economic weakness of rural Ontario, the entire area is in all likelihood subsidy positive - they more than anyone else are super vulnerable to austerity or any shift in government spending. If they haven't figured out their act by next election (with the redistributed ridings), they are screwed.

Hell, if I am Wynne I would start poaching their Red Tories even more and slowly shift back right to the centre. Interesting and harsh take from Rex (!) Murphy:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/14/rex-murphy-they-gave-wynne-time-she-used-it-well/

AoD

Last edited:
funny to watch the comments on the conservative papers after the loss. Blaming Ontario that they are too dumb, that only the conservatives can bring this province to the promised land (not directly like that obviously), That the 10% of ontario that are public employees somehow voted in the liberals, "big unions", etc., etc., etc.

Anyone but themselves are to blame.

funny to watch the comments on the conservative papers after the loss. Blaming Ontario that they are too dumb, that only the conservatives can bring this province to the promised land (not directly like that obviously), That the 10% of ontario that are public employees somehow voted in the liberals, "big unions", etc., etc., etc.

Anyone but themselves are to blame.

In the NDP universe I'm seeing a mix of gloating about their brilliant strategy, with "great results in southwest Ontario" and "best showing since 1990" with a lot of vitriol at the "group of 34" for costing them 3 Toronto MPPs. They did increase their popular vote by 1 point but they needlessly sacrificed 3 MPPs so there was no net gain at all, except they lost the balance of power. There hasn't been any willingness to concede that the leadership bears responsibility for these losses. Robin Sears is insufferably arrogant.

In the NDP universe I'm seeing a mix of gloating about their brilliant strategy, with "great results in southwest Ontario" and "best showing since 1990" with a lot of vitriol at the "group of 34" for costing them 3 Toronto MPPs. They did increase their popular vote by 1 point but they needlessly sacrificed 3 MPPs so there was no net gain at all, except they lost the balance of power.
Dippers will be annoyed if the Liberals now table a more traditional Liberal budget, without some of the elements the NDP would usually demand in order to support it.

The entire NDP strategy was odd. They propped up the Liberals long enough for the public to gain a clear distinct view of Wynne from McGuinty, lessening the impact of the gas plant issues. Meanwhile they continued to call the Liberals corrupt - begging the question of why the NDP supported them for 16 months and didn't vote them out on Wynne's very first budget. In the end, the delays of the NDP were most detrimental to the PCs, since the delays allowed the public to gain a favourable view of Wynne.

Last edited:
Dippers will be annoyed if the Liberals now table a more traditional Liberal budget, without some of the elements the NDP would usually demand in order to support it.

The entire NDP strategy was odd. They propped up the Liberals long enough for the public to gain a clear distinct view of Wynne from McGuinty, lessening the impact of the gas plant issues. Meanwhile they continued to call the Liberals corrupt - begging the question of why the NDP supported them for 16 months and didn't vote them out on Wynne's very first budget. In the end, the delays of the NDP were most detrimental to the PCs, since the delays allowed the public to gain a favourable view of Wynne.

There is the suggestion out there that NDP isn't ready for an election - perhaps it's a money issue, especially for one so close to the 2011 one.

AoD

What is the purpose of an endorsement?

Is it to tell which party will win, or which party will be best for Ontario?

If it is the former, then the mainstream media was indeed wrong. If it is the latter, then the verdict will only be known in 4 years time.
In hindsight, we can say that any mainstream media that supported the Liberals in 2011 or 2007 made the wrong call, because the province is much worse due to their rule. But in this election, the judgement on their endorsement can only be made in the future.

I agree with you, good point. An endorsement is which party you think is best. BUT, I will also say that it shows a disconnect between the media and the general population when that 75% of the media endorsed (newspaper and it sounds radio hosts as well) was so roundly rejected by the citizens. PC were the only of the major parties (including the Green's who were not even in the debate) who lost votes. They went from 35 to 31%, that's losing about 12% of their 2011 base. It shows that things like gas plants where the PC (along with the media) beat everybody on the head about that it was the FIRST question of a debate it turned out not to be as important as everybody (pushed by the PC) thought it was. I found twitter actually to be a much more realistic feel how regular voters felt was important much more than what the media/ talk radio did.

I talked about some losers, I guess I should talk about winners some. The Star, who seemed to be much more on the ball in their media reflection of the election than any other, it also helps that they partnered with Forum to do polls of the election and Forum did pretty well in prediction, completely different from Bell media, (CP24, CTV, CFRB) who partnered with Ipsos and were way off the mark the entire election. Speaking of polls, Ekos probably got it closest in the polls, while Forum did well with the margin of Liberal victory. Classic telephone eligible/decided formula worked best (not to brag but as I predicted lol)

Other winners I have to give a big thumbs up to the Liberal party, not just during the election but right from the beginning of their third term. Normally parties wait until it too late, but they did the transfer of power from McGuinty to Wynne early. Wynne was able to establish herself from McGuinty during that time (something Eves wasn't able to do) McGuinty got out of the spotlight and let the party re-brand itself with somebody he seems very different (visually and personality) from Dalton. Just look at the difference between the team work and sacrifices that the liberal side did compared to the selfishness and ego of somebody like Ford who's dragging his party down and his party is too scared to cut ties with him fully.

The other winner is Wynne herself, even though her debate wasn't great her campaign and her entire premiership was smartly done. From working closely with the NDP and gaining the trust of many soft NDP voters and then putting the blame on Horwath for calling the election. Her campaign team also did a great job in making it a referendum on Hudak and conservatism than on them. Now Hudak and Horwath certainly helped her accomplish that but they give her that opening and she took it. Other winners I would include Unions, they worked together as one and made their anti-Hudak case much better than Hudak people could in demonizing them.

Back