News   Jul 19, 2024
 419     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 686     1 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

It's kind of amazing what a big victory would do. Wynne was "un-elected Premiere" just a month ago, now every politician wants to take a picture with her. Tory and Chow were tripping over themselves to take a photo with her. Even Doug Ford was trying to convince people that the Ford's are more Liberal than you think. lol

It's kind of amazing what a big victory would do. Wynne was "un-elected Premiere" just a month ago, now every politician wants to take a picture with her. Tory and Chow were tripping over themselves to take a photo with her. Even Doug Ford was trying to convince people that the Ford's are more Liberal than you think. lol

Tory has been a great help to the Liberal's. He even lent some of his staff to the Adam Vaughan campaign on election night to help pull in the vote. I think he realizes the Liberals are the best party to have in power in relation to his platform and getting things done. The guy continues to impress me with how well he is able to work with everyone, and actually listen to the electorate. I really hope he can pull off a win.

The spending/revenue is clearly laid out in the budget. It relies on revenue to continue to increase at the current rate, and to hold down program spending to increase at a somewhat lower rate, closer to inflation, combined with the tax increase on the rich. Presumably a combination of wage freezes, and small program cuts.

Do we still think the Liberal government is committed to wage freezes....given the negotiated contract with Metrolinx days before the election that just became public information? 4 years of increases.....they can say all they want that this does not count because it will be absorbed n the ML operating budget (which likely just means 'fare hikes will be higher than your used to") but how do they go into their next labour negotiations and say "freeze" when they have just granted 4 years of raises to ML workers?

Do we still think the Liberal government is committed to wage freezes....given the negotiated contract with Metrolinx days before the election that just became public information? 4 years of increases.....they can say all they want that this does not count because it will be absorbed n the ML operating budget (which likely just means 'fare hikes will be higher than your used to") but how do they go into their next labour negotiations and say "freeze" when they have just granted 4 years of raises to ML workers?
I hardly think that increasing some workers wages at the rate of inflation is a massive issue here.

8.45% over 4 years would be 2.05% a year. This is about the same as the recent 4-year TTC contract for the same period of time, which was 2.07% average.

Looking at the last 4 years of inflation in Toronto - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/econ45a-eng.htm - the CPI increasd from 113.6 in 2009 to 123.3 in 2013. This is 2.07% a year.

I noted previously that the government would have to hold down program spending increases to closer to the inflation rate. As long as the GDP continues to grown above the inflation rate, this shouldn't be a big issue.

However, I don't see any point revisiting this only weeks after the election.

Given GO's well publicized retention issues for train staff, I'm surprised the got away with simply offering them an inflationary increase.

Tory has been a great help to the Liberal's. He even lent some of his staff to the Adam Vaughan campaign on election night to help pull in the vote. I think he realizes the Liberals are the best party to have in power in relation to his platform and getting things done. The guy continues to impress me with how well he is able to work with everyone, and actually listen to the electorate. I really hope he can pull off a win.

John Tory? The guy with the worst bike plan (apart from the incumbent), the one with the worst transit plan (apart from the incumbent) the guy who would rip up Eglinton Connects because it would reduce some automobile capacity between Avenue Road and Mount Pleasant?

Sure, if you still want Denzil Minnan-Wrong running PWIC, Tory's your guy.

Why do Torontonians vote for mayors based on their bike plans, or their transit plans? Mayors shouldn't be transportation planners at all. That is not their job. They are not qualified. It's sad what politics in Toronto has become thanks to David Miller and Adam Giambrone and their Transit City. Politicians should be politicans. Leave the planning to the planners.

Do you really think a DRL would not have been included if the TTC had released a plan on its own in that era (2007-10)?

Don't forget that the previous plans (RTES) didn't touch DRL either. In fact, I suspect everyone (TTC and politicians) just wanted to go for the lowest hanging fruit (extensions, new lines that's relatively easy and cheap to build). DRL is one of the these things that require fire under one pants to get tackled. No fire, no DRL.

AoD

I am bumping this up to discuss how stupid the Ontario PC's are acting these days. McNaughton and Brown are bashing a sex-ed curriculum they haven't read and now another MPP is denying evolution. Do they want to keep on losing elections?

I am bumping this up to discuss how stupid the Ontario PC's are acting these days. McNaughton and Brown are bashing a sex-ed curriculum they haven't read and now another MPP is denying evolution. Do they want to keep on losing elections?

Yea, this will definitely come back and bite the PCs in the ass. Wynne is capitalizing on it by even suggesting that Christine Elliott - the most socially liberal of the candidates, and presumed frontrunner - also opposes the new sex-ed reforms.

It reminds me of 2007 when the Liberals effectively changed the narrative of the election from McGuinty's presumed broken promises to the "funding religious schools" gaffe.

Last edited:

Back