News   Jul 31, 2024
 344     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 487     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Absolutely not. I first listened to his interview with John Tory and thought then that he was being a douche and yes, that he was hard-balling. I figured then that was the CBC bias coming out and I was pretty annoyed.

Then I heard the Chow interview and was annoyed again by his attitude but was pleased he hard-balled her as well. So at least he is an equal opportunity impatient, rude, spoiled brat.

I haven't heard either of those interviews, but I do find that Galloway can get annoying when he puts on his "hardball" persona. Sometimes, even if the guest is answering his question, he'll interrupt and ask the exact same question in a more forceful tone. It's like he's putting all his effort into sounding tough rather than actually drawing out information. The best hardball interviewers listen carefully to their guests' responses in order to find contradictions or missing information that they can target in follow up questions. Only if they sense that the guest might be trying to stall for time do they interrupt responses.

And if John Tory wasn't born into the Rosedale elite, he likely wouldn't have had any of those "accomplishments". What exactly were those accomplishments anyway, other than just getting appointed to various plum positions in the private and public sector based on daddy's connections? What has Tory actually delivered during his time at these various organizations? I can name a few things he ran into the ground (e.g. both the Canadian and the Ontario PC Parties).

Also Rogers

He managed not to run Rogers into the ground while he was CEO, but he surely did a horrible job at running it. If it weren't for his family being close with Ted Rogers I'm sure he would not have gotten that job.

Last edited:
I haven't heard either of those interviews, but I do find that Galloway can get annoying when he puts on his "hardball" persona. Sometimes, even if the guest is answering his question, he'll interrupt and ask the exact same question in a more forceful tone. It's like he's putting all his effort into sounding tough rather than actually drawing out information. The best hardball interviewers listen carefully to their guests' responses in order to find contradictions or missing information that they can target in follow up questions. Only if they sense that the guest might be trying to stall for time do they interrupt responses.

I agree. He should at least give them a few seconds to try to answer the question before interrupting again.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/09/18/could_crowdfunding_ease_the_king_streetcar_crush.html

Article about some people trying to organize an express bus from Liberty Village to Union.

I've been saying for a while that the areas west of downtown (Bathurst to Dufferin, near King & Queen) are inadequately served. Besides the huge amount of condos, there are tons of jobs & offices moving into that area, especially in Liberty Village.

One of the things I liked about SmartTrack was that it actually had stops at LibVill & Spadina, potentially providing a faster way of getting there on TTC fare than the overcrowded & slow streetcars.

How adequate are GO & 509 Harbourfront to get to LV? My impression is that GO is still to expensive and infrequent. 509, how walkable is the exhibition loop stop to LV? Do they need to add a bridge across the tracks?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/09/18/could_crowdfunding_ease_the_king_streetcar_crush.html

Article about some people trying to organize an express bus from Liberty Village to Union.

I've been saying for a while that the areas west of downtown (Bathurst to Dufferin, near King & Queen) are inadequately served. Besides the huge amount of condos, there are tons of jobs & offices moving into that area, especially in Liberty Village.

I hope this gets approved. It's a good temporary measure until GO RER comes online in a few years.

I hope this gets approved. It's a good temporary measure until GO RER comes online in a few years.

It seems there was already a thread on this: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/7422-Alternatives-to-the-King-Streetcar

It does seem possible to use GO exhibition and 509 Harbourfront from LV. The frequencies on GO don't seem that great though (8:24 then 8:56 with many trains bypassing), and the price is steep for 5:20. Hopefully GO RER solves those things.

One of the things I liked about SmartTrack was that it actually had stops at LibVill & Spadina, potentially providing a faster way of getting there on TTC fare than the overcrowded & slow streetcars.

How adequate are GO & 509 Harbourfront to get to LV? My impression is that GO is still to expensive and infrequent. 509, how walkable is the exhibition loop stop to LV? Do they need to add a bridge across the tracks?

So, GO is too expensive ($4.68 on Presto) and infrequent (6 EB trips between 7 and 9:15) in its current form? But a $5 seat on a bus that goes exactly where the GO train goes but only does it 4 times during those times is a good temporary measure?

A liberty village resident headed for Union (the only place this private bus would go) has a higher frequency train that is cheaper than this bus and takes 8 - 13 minutes....but it is a good idea for them to pay $5 for a lower frequency bus that appears (based on the article) to take 20 minutes to get to Union?

So, GO is too expensive ($4.68 on Presto) and infrequent (6 EB trips between 7 and 9:15) in its current form? But a $5 seat on a bus that goes exactly where the GO train goes but only does it 4 times during those times is a good temporary measure?

A liberty village resident headed for Union (the only place this private bus would go) has a higher frequency train that is cheaper than this bus and takes 8 - 13 minutes....but it is a good idea for them to pay $5 for a lower frequency bus that appears (based on the article) to take 20 minutes to get to Union?

I don't think the private bus idea is a good idea, I'm saying that the west end of downtown needs better transit in general.

No. But I would like to see the TTC provide reliable express bus services from Liberty Village to Union Station.

I don't think the private bus idea is a good idea, I'm saying that the west end of downtown needs better transit in general.

No. But I would like to see the TTC provide reliable express bus services from Liberty Village to Union Station.

Sure Liberty Village (like a lot of places) could use better service....but this private bus is not the answer. It is less frequent, more expensive and slower than a currently existing option.

Sure Liberty Village (like a lot of places) could use better service....but this private bus is not the answer. It is less frequent, more expensive and slower than a currently existing option.

I agree but I don't think that is the point. The point is that the residents are so exasperated by the current service that they are willing to fork over their hard earned tax dollars to go just a few KM because the TTC can't do the job. That is a terrible indictment of how frustrated people are with current levels and how little faith they have in the TTC and City Hall to change the situation.

For those who live or work in LV, how viable is using 509 Harbourfront? The Exhibition loop seems walkable from LV, and the bus/streetcar goes to Union.

Any bus, private or TTC, express or not, from LV to Union has way too many flaws to count. The two most notable are:

1. What route is this bus going to take that isn't clogged with traffic? You have to be absolutely masochistic to drive from LV to Union, no matter which way you go: Lakeshore, Strachan/Lakeshore/Queens Quay, King, Wellington/Spadina/Front, Dufferin/Gardiner/Bay, whatever.

2. Why is there a major fascination with a service from LV to Union? As if every LV resident works in the financial core.

We all know the solution to solving the LV transit issues is a) the DRL, a b) a ROW on the 504, c) GO RER, d) a combination of the other three. All other solutions are terrible.

I agree but I don't think that is the point. The point is that the residents are so exasperated by the current service that they are willing to fork over their hard earned tax dollars to go just a few KM because the TTC can't do the job. That is a terrible indictment of how frustrated people are with current levels and how little faith they have in the TTC and City Hall to change the situation.

exasperated with the TTC or not....they are opting for something that makes no sense...if they would open their eyes to GO they would have more frequencies, cheaper and faster than their private bus would offer.

Any bus, private or TTC, express or not, from LV to Union has way too many flaws to count. The two most notable are:

1. What route is this bus going to take that isn't clogged with traffic? You have to be absolutely masochistic to drive from LV to Union, no matter which way you go: Lakeshore, Strachan/Lakeshore/Queens Quay, King, Wellington/Spadina/Front, Dufferin/Gardiner/Bay, whatever.

2. Why is there a major fascination with a service from LV to Union? As if every LV resident works in the financial core.

We all know the solution to solving the LV transit issues is a) the DRL, a b) a ROW on the 504, c) GO RER, d) a combination of the other three. All other solutions are terrible.

That's true. But the significance of this private bus project is in demonstrating that the current situation is not sustainable, and pushing the city to do something; not in its utility as a transit solution.

Back