News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

So if Stintz drops out, does that mean she's going to Mama Ford's for dinner tonight and skipping the heritage debate?

In a more sane environment, er, situation, one could prognosticate that Stintz's supporters will go to Tory, given their political similarities. In a more sane environment we might even dismiss the possibility of Stintz's supporters going to Chow, given their vast political gulf. But this is Toronto, where voters are wacky. Wacky, wacky, wacky. It's hard to predict where Stintz's supporters will go now; don't forget, this is the city that elected that RoFo dufus-ass. I think this event throws a lot of unpredictability into the race, and it could perhaps buoy RoFo's chances -- but I doubt that will happen.

In any event, b'bye Karen. Hardly got to know yer.

I just read on the Star that Stintz is also not running for council, "time for a new chapter" she said.

From my perspective where we have the same councillor since the inception of Toronto Centre-Rosedale, I find this very refreshing, where city council seats are not seen as a life time appointment or even longterm career. Mary-Margaret McMahon has voiced much the same.

Instead of a life career, you get elected, do some great work, and then go back to being a citizen, giving someone else a shot.

I just read on the Star that Stintz is also not running for council, "time for a new chapter" she said.

From my perspective where we have the same councillor since the inception of Toronto Centre-Rosedale, I find this very refreshing, where city council seats are not seen as a life time appointment or even longterm career. Mary-Margaret McMahon has voiced much the same.

Instead of a life career, you get elected, do some great work, and then go back to being a citizen, giving someone else a shot.

Don't be so fast - Stintz's next two decisions are whether she's running for the federal Tories or Liberals, and in what riding.

There are plus and minus - new blood/perspectives vs. learning curves/continuity. I think the merit should be judged on a case by case basis - eg. I could only wish Adam Vaughan stayed in municipal politics - he is very good at what he does.

AoD

Don't be so fast - Stintz's next two decisions are whether she's running for the federal Tories or Liberals, and in what riding.

Yep. The moment she said she won't run to keep her council seat I knew that was her plan.

Given Stintz's history of self-serving political moves it would not shock me if she ran as a Liberal. Plus, her ward is located in Eglinton-Lawrence which is held by Conservative Joe Oliver. Trudeau recently attracted another right-of-centre candidate, ex-CD Howe Institute head Bill Morneau to carry the red flag in Toronto Centre.

Last edited:
I'm finding it hard to imagine that she would be an attractive candidate for a federal party.

Good riddance, and don't let the door jam you on the way out. Also, I hope I will get my money back for your scarborough subway stunt.

Funny how history works. A few years ago she was Ford/Sun Enemy #1 for going against the rhetoric and bringing back Transit City, and was a front runner to go against Ford. Then she overplayed her hand and came out with One City, not only bringing back the subway debate, but also pundits began to associate her as a lead architect to Ford's transit cuts.

If she had just kept her mouth shut, it would likely be a two way race between Stintz and Ford right now.

Trudeau recently attracted another right-of-centre candidate, ex-CD Howe Institute head Bill Morneau to carry the red flag in Toronto Centre.
Trudeau could run a mannequin in Toronto Centre and we'd still vote Liberal. This is a default Liberal riding. Most of those who would support the NDP are not eligible to vote due to lack of citizenship, and the Cons don't stand a chance.

Back