News   May 03, 2024
 156     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 316     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 734     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I thought that name was japanese

Japanese doesn't allow consecutive consonants, except where the first one is n, and in fact -n- is considered a syllable in itself and a word like bento is technically 3 syllables: be-n-to.

'Soknacki' almost works as a Japanese name if you make it alternating consonants and vowels, so Sokanaki or Sokunaki.

I believe the original Polish pronunciation is something like sok-nats-kee, but I could be wrong. He would be the first mayor of Polish descent AFAIK, if elected.

Japanese doesn't allow consecutive consonants, except where the first one is n, and in fact -n- is considered a syllable in itself and a word like bento is technically 3 syllables: be-n-to.

'Soknacki' almost works as a Japanese name if you make it alternating consonants and vowels, so Sokanaki or Sokunaki.

I believe the original Polish pronunciation is something like sok-nats-kee, but I could be wrong. He would be the first mayor of Polish descent AFAIK, if elected.

Sok-nats-kee would be accurate. (I'm half Polish)

Since we are in Canada, I don't think pronouncing it "Sock-nak-ee" is that bad. At least its not a butchering of the name as it is far-too-often with Polish names.

I've seen many Polish names that could pass for almost Japanese oddly enough. Purely coincidental I suppose.

Sok-nats-kee would be accurate. (I'm half Polish)

Since we are in Canada, I don't think pronouncing it "Sock-nak-ee" is that bad. At least its not a butchering of the name as it is far-too-often with Polish names

How was Doug pronouncing it a while back? Snocki?

@KarenStintz is getting a real earful from people on Twitter. Whoever's writing her tweets seems to have only two strategies: 1) bash Chow for being a federal MP for the past 7 years and 2) hype the Scarborough subway because there supposedly isn't time to reconsider it after 7 years of ... Stintz-assisted flipflopping.

@KarenStintz is getting a real earful from people on Twitter. Whoever's writing her tweets seems to have only two strategies: 1) bash Chow for being a federal MP for the past 7 years and 2) hype the Scarborough subway because there supposedly isn't time to reconsider it after 7 years of ... Stintz-assisted flipflopping.

These are the worst Stintz tweets so far, in my opinion:

https://twitter.com/KarenStintz/status/439413634620727297
https://twitter.com/KarenStintz/status/439037925956009984

lol...Karen's campaign is looking sadder each day. If she was hoping to use this campaign as a means of boosting her name recognition in order to seriously run in 2018, I don't think it's going very well.
However, if Soknacki is using this campaign as a means of boosting his name recognition, AND Toronto implements a ranked-ballot system for the 2018 election, he could end up being mayor one day.

lol...Karen's campaign is looking sadder each day. If she was hoping to use this campaign as a means of boosting her name recognition in order to seriously run in 2018, I don't think it's going very well.
However, if Soknacki is using this campaign as a means of boosting his name recognition, AND Toronto implements a ranked-ballot system for the 2018 election, he could end up being mayor one day.

LOL. it is laughably bad. I wish those tweets were as viral as "drunken stuper" or "enough to eat at home".

I think Soknacki lacks personal charisma. He doesn't get the attention that Tory or Chow do, he just doesn't seem as compelling. It may not matter to some, but I think that does affect some people in subtle ways.

LOL. it is laughably bad. I wish those tweets were as viral as "drunken stuper" or "enough to eat at home".

I think Soknacki lacks personal charisma. He doesn't get the attention that Tory or Chow do, he just doesn't seem as compelling. It may not matter to some, but I think that does affect some people in subtle ways.

Not sure if Tory or Chow is particularly charismatic either. So hopefully it all balances out and we can all concentrate on their respective platforms.

5. she married a white man, many asian men will not vote for her

If they don't like women marrying white guys, why don't they move back to China? Reminds me when George Smitherman was running for mayor, some Muslims at my work wouldn't' vote for him because he was gay.

I was recently at a Olivia Chow book signing. There was people from all races, Asians, blacks, Sikh, Hindu. I think you'll find the working class minorities will relate a lot more to someone like Chow over someone like Tory.

To be a little fair to Stintz, I don't think that any councillor from this current administration would survive a mayoral election just because the general public are all too aware at what a gong show it's been the past four years. She didn't make it any easier with her in-decisions.

I think not only are the public hostile towards Rob Ford, but this particular council in general.

Toronto needs a fresh start from top to bottom.

If they don't like women marrying white guys, why don't they move back to China? Reminds me when George Smitherman was running for mayor, some Muslims at my work wouldn't' vote for him because he was gay.

I was recently at a Olivia Chow book signing. There was people from all races, Asians, blacks, Sikh, Hindu. I think you'll find the working class minorities will relate a lot more to someone like Chow over someone like Tory.

As an Asian-Canadian man, the idea that Asian men will not vote for Olivia Chow because she married a white man is beyond ridiculous to me.

I hope no one is taking that seriously.

As an Asian-Canadian man, the idea that Asian men will not vote for Olivia Chow because she married a white man is beyond ridiculous to me.

I hope no one is taking that seriously.
Given the source, I don't think many, if any, are taking it seriously

Last edited:

Back