News   May 31, 2024
 937     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Attending the pride parade is hardly "proof" that someone isn't an anti-gay bigot. It's very, very easy for a bigoted politician to attend pride and put on a good show. His attendance is meaningless.

I know that, but notice my bracketed comment. It appears, by nfitz's standards, that those that attend the parade must love gay people, and those that don't are, well...bigots. I doubt most progressive politicians care anymore than the conservatives about the parade, to be honest. They're just more likely to attend because a large part of their support comes from gay people and those that support pride. Does Oilvia Chow really care about gay issues? Who knows? I really don't care what politicians say about social issues, because I don't trust most of them. They say whatever makes them appealing to their base, whether they believe it or not.

Wow so apparantly John Tory threatened to cancel an event they had planned with Corey Mintz if Johnathan Goldsbie showed up. It looks like John Tory is has been avoiding certain reporters since his controversial statement about Pride Toronto. Soon after John Tory threatened to cancel his appearance at the event, Tory campaign chair told Goldsbie to "get a life".

This is the second time in 24 hours we've seen John Tory avoid reporters and it will be the second time this week that JT has avoided an event if he follows through on his threat. I wouldn't look too much into it right now, but I would be concerned if this behavior continues.

If John Tory was a bigot and a homophobe, I'd know it by now. Add to that - there has not been a groundswell of people calling for him to quit the race as a not-likely candidate in this oh-so-diverse city (as was the case with the really very disgusting and truly nauseating Rob Ford).

I just worry about John Tory not having learned anything from the previous go-rounds and I suspect, this morning, that Tory's handlers have yanked him in, big time.

Tory's scattergun approach is again on display and for that reason I say "John Tory, darling, stick to the script".

I am surprised by his position on QAIA - it's possible that it comes from personal conviction, but from a purely political standpoint he risks alienating conservative muslims, doesn't he? Wouldn't it have been safer to take a neutral stance? It seems like the people who are likely to be swayed in Tory's favour by this were planning to vote for him already.

I admit I'm looking for any sign that he has crossed the line and given the election to Chow.

Quite frankly it disgusts me that John Tory is willing to play politics with LGBT issues. And it disgusts me even more that the man now refuses to answer media questioning regarding the issue; so cowardly that he won't defend his own position. It demonstrates to me that the man is of poor moral character.

I get the feeling that we have reached the point where Tory is sizing up his mouth to see which foot will fit first.

AFAIC, Tory is a pod, and the sooner he does what he does best (reveal his ineptness), the better.

The mayor after all doesn't really do much. A great mayor like Miller didn't put Toronto into greatness, and a horrid mayor like Ford didn't destroy the city. If Tory is a weak mayor that lets council walk all over him, that really isn't the worst case scenario in my eyes. I'm expecting we will have a solid council this term.

There's no one mayor that would put Toronto into greatness, but imagine how different things would be if we had three Miller-like mayors in a row. Think of all the transit we would have had by now, all the waterfront revitalization, etc. Miller didn't accomplish those things just by sitting on his ass and letting council walk all over him. Look how well that worked out with transit (all that flip flopping, countless debates over the same thing, etc).

Geez, you're so simpleminded. Maybe he supported Rob's fiscal agenda; nah, he must hate all gay people? Brother. So anyone that liked Hitler's artwork or admired his passion for architecture must have been a bigot because he killed millions of people?

Godwin's law: if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism

There's no one mayor that would put Toronto into greatness, but imagine how different things would be if we had three Miller-like mayors in a row. Think of all the transit we would have had by now, all the waterfront revitalization, etc. Miller didn't accomplish those things just by sitting on his ass and letting council walk all over him. Look how well that worked out with transit (all that flip flopping, countless debates over the same thing, etc).

And Olivia Chow is that person?

Godwin's law: if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism

This. Though I would say that if your main interests in visual art and architecture are Hitler and Albert Speer it does raise a certain red flag.

Unlike our other mayors, David Miller was a city builder. We'll continue to see the affects of his leadership well into the next decade.

Last edited:
Unlike our other mayors, David Miller was a city builder. Wells continue to see the affects of his leadership well into he next decade.

It's cringeworthy to think that Miller almost lost to Tory in his first election. Tory's opposition to Eglinton connects demonstrates how little he cares about city building.

What a disingenuous answer. Don't try to play cute with word play. Why aren't you taking the question seriously? That is not a real answer.
It wasn't a great answer, which is why when I read it back, I rewrote it BEFORE you replied. Don't try to be cute with word play - this is disingenuous.

Stop throwing the word 'bigot' around so much. It means nothing when you use it on a regular basis.
The previous complaint about this was about Rob Ford. And the person making that claim was denying he was bigoted.

We have someone who is clearly bigoted, and yet we don't want to discuss it. We should be throwing around the issue more. It's a massive issue.

It's very simple. If you support a racist, you are a racist. Don't support racists.

Last edited:
But what about Hitler :D
I don't see the need for you to go into Godwin territory here. As far as I know, he hasn't endorsed anyone in this race, nor has anyone endorsed him.

I'm also not sure why you think that racism or a tyrant who murdered millions is worthy of a smiley face.

Back