News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 628     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

What I would really like to see is a GTA level of government, much in the same style of Metro, with the transportation area being a particular focus. That was the original recommendation of the panel/commission who put forward the idea of the amalgamated Toronto, but Harris didn't want to create a potential threat to his power, so ditched that side of the solution, despite it going hand-in-glove with the amalgamation issue. Such a caucus could evolve from a regular caucus of mayors into something more permanent, with the transportation side of things controlled by experts leavened with input and assent from municipal mayors. However, even I recognize this is not a priority for anyone except myself. In any case, it would require some heavy lifting to get any traction.

I totally agree with you but I fear the average voter would not have the in depth knowledge of the issues and are either too busy with life or too lazy to look further into them. At the end of the day, it will unfortunately boil down to soundbites. It is very tempting to go for simple solutions to complex problems. But that is democracy as we know it now. Too bad.
"an election is no time to discuss serious issues." Kim Campbell

So the past few weeks

I really enjoyed this post, thanks for giving the issue such serious thought. This post should likely be posted on the transit forum thread as well.

I totally agree that 99% of the arguments for the subway option are vote-buying or unsound arguments, even though there are real and good arguments for both options.

Many forum members will likely be alive by the time these transit lines open as well :).

However, to me, Ford winning would be by far the worst thing for transit or the city in general, and if he has any chance of winning, I will vote to stop that, whether it be Soknacki, Chow, Tory or Stintz, to me Ford is much much worse than all of them.

However, to me, Ford winning would be by far the worst thing for transit or the city in general, and if he has any chance of winning, I will vote to stop that, whether it be Soknacki, Chow, Tory or Stintz, to me Ford is much much worse than all of them.

Another four years would be a disaster.

Short of PR and personal embarrassments, the city made it 4 years with Ford as Mayor without their being a "disaster" as a result. Given that, I somehow doubt another 4 years would result in a disaster.

I would call these four years a disaster. Look at the state of transit planning. We had the cancelation of Transit City with nothing to replace it. There was a brief point at which we were going to bury the entire Crosstown LRT until council realized that spending $8 billion on an LRT line was ludicrous. Ford also held the Sheppard line hostage while he wasted money trying figure out how he could keep his promise to have the private sector build it at no extra cost to the public. Eventually Stintz and Mihevc gave him an "out" with their plan to replace a 7-stop LRT with a 3-stop subway extension, thus allowing him to claim it as a promise fulfilled.

We could have had shovels in the ground on three lines by now, and be in a much better place to discuss revenue tools for the DRL. Instead we have a sketchy plan for a 3-stop subway expansion. Ford has set transit planning back by a decade. I'd hate to see what transit will be like after another four years of Ford.

And this is just one area of policy. Ford's lack of vision and inability to lead has left its mark on many more municipal issues. Just look at the island airport. Even those who want to see Porter get their jets must admit that Ford is clearly complicating the process. Think he's phoned up a single councillor and tried to rally their support or bring them on board to some kind compromise position?

I would call these four years a disaster. Look at the state of transit planning...... Just look at the island airport.
Sheesh, prone to drama much? Lack of planning on transportation is not a disaster. Go ahead and tell the people of Fukushima Prefecture, New Orleans (Katrina) and Indonesia et al (2005 Tsunami) that having an ineffective oaf for a mayor is a disaster.

I think it would be time to move if Rob was elected again.

R Ford reelected...sure would be interesting come December 1, 2014....All the binders on him from the previous Council now rescinded....Appointments to the Exec at his will...How about Mikey Ford Deputy Mayor...Ron Moeser Government Management Chair...Vince Crisanti Planning and Growth Chair...Mark Grimes Economic Development Chair...Frances returning as Speaker...Liz West as Deputy Speaker...David Shiner Parks and Enviro Chair...Giorgio Mammoliti Community Development and Rec (Cluster A)....Public Works and Infrastructure Anthony Perruzza...he'd have his choice of at large Gus Cusimano, John Campbell and whoever elese his coattails brought along....Scary thoughts aren't they?

Back