News   Jul 19, 2024
 328     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 607     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

From the Rob Ford thread:

Now I understand the mysterious Robo Survey I got a week ago. The RoboVoice was asking if I would vote for Pam McConnell or Sarah Thomson for City Councillor for Ward 28. I thought I must have just heard wrong. Now I think she's shopping for a ward in which she has a chance of winning a seat on Council. (The only seat I think she will win is on the back of a horse.)

Sounds like Thomson was shopping around for a ward race where she stands a chance. In fact this whole mayoral run now seems like a strategy for setting herself up to be a councillor. Earlier in the term she also lobbied heavily to get an interim appointment to cover Doug Holiday's empty seat. She seems so desperate to get onto council without ever having actually done anything in a ward to deserve it. Say what you want about legacy candidates, at least they spend years working as assistants within their wards before actually running for office.

Could a good soul point me in the direction of where I could find a list of the candidates in each ward?

Well, we now have races in all 44 wards with Sarfraz Khan challenging Josh Matlow and a 3 person race in Ward 25 with Tanya Hostler throwing her hat in the ring...
Anybody have information on either of them?

From the Rob Ford thread:

Sounds like Thomson was shopping around for a ward race where she stands a chance. In fact this whole mayoral run now seems like a strategy for setting herself up to be a councillor. Earlier in the term she also lobbied heavily to get an interim appointment to cover Doug Holiday's empty seat. She seems so desperate to get onto council without ever having actually done anything in a ward to deserve it. Say what you want about legacy candidates, at least they spend years working as assistants within their wards before actually running for office.

It really does smack of opportunism that living in Toronto-Centre as she does she feels she can just walk over into the ward next door and be their councillor.

I can't believe she picked that ward to run in. There are plenty of others where she'd have a better chance.

What makes you think she wants to win? She seems to enjoy being the crazy in the race.

Last edited:
David Soknacki for Councillor. Maybe against one of Ford's lapdogs. If Soknacki could win a council seat, he would be my choice for Chair of the TTC.
Why would he want to do that? He's already been a councillor, already been a budget chief. He offered himself up for consideration, presented a strong approach to the city's challenges, and the people who elected a clown and a criminal to be their Mayor couldn't rouse themselves to give him the least attention. He must have better things to do.

Back