News   Jul 19, 2024
 652     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 963     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

I met him twice, he is a really nice guy even if I disagree with his politics. Great sense of humour. Last time I met him wasn't long after his appearance on a Daily Show segment, he was thrilled to chat about it. Parker for Speaker in 2015-2018!
It would be a great battle though considering Parker has never polled higher than 32% in Ward 26 and is weak in the Thorncliffe, St Denis and Flemington Park areas and strong west of Laird while Prue was Mayor of East York between '93 and 97...

Seeing Prue in council would be terrific (I came around to his position on uniting the school boards only after arguing it out with his then-assistant), but I think like Marchese, the green grass of retirement might be calling.

It would be a great battle though considering Parker has never polled higher than 32% in Ward 26 and is weak in the Thorncliffe, St Denis and Flemington Park areas and strong west of Laird while Prue was Mayor of East York between '93 and 97...

John Parker does poorly in the poorer areas of his ward? Gee, what a surprise.

Just listen to him talk. He's such a John Tory-Tory. Completely out of touch with the average Torontonian.

He doesn't come across as someone who could appeal to the working class folks in his ward at all.

His passive-aggressive sense of humour drives me bonkers.

Last edited:
Note that KoK said "fill the vacancy", which is not the same as "standing for election". Indeed, it's not unprecedented for a more or less "retired" politician (or just "retired-type" person, a la Peter Leon) to fill the remainder of an unexpired term...

They should just appoint Holyday to Ward 5 for the last few months of the term. Would be easy for him to get settled in and he's already said he won't run in the fall. No strong feelings about the guy either way, but it's an easy solution.

Plus, the irony would be priceless.

The problem is I just don't trust him that he will not run in the next election.

I was about to freak out on KoK suggestion of Marchese or Pantalone because I also want fresh blood but of course I re-read and if it's just for the remaining of the term, I sure that will be okay. But they both should be passing the torch.

Anyone else interested in the race in Ward 6?

Russ Ford (no relation to Rob and Doug Ford), the Exec. Director (I think) of LAMP, is the only high-profile candidate that I know of so far.

Last edited:
Anyone else interested in the race in Ward 6?

Russ Ford (no relation to Rob and Doug Ford), the Exec. Director (I think) of LAMP, is the only high-profile candidate that I know of so far.

Is Russ Ford related to Len Ford, reeve of Long Branch? (A small waterfront park is named for Len Ford as well.)

Is Russ Ford related to Len Ford, reeve of Long Branch? (A small waterfront park is named for Len Ford as well.)

Ah, good ol' Len Ford Park.

I've kayaked around that area many, many times.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he's related to Len Ford.

Good question, though.

I've wondered that, too.

Back