News   Jul 22, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 634     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

For someone bemoaning Brampton's urban identity, you're playing into its sense of nothingness. Calling the Four Corners highways? This is a traditional downtown you're talking about here. And it's not even called "Hurontario" there, but easy-to-say "Main".

The whole 905 seems to be plagued with this phenomenon of people describing it like there in still-rural areas.

No it is not a "traditional downtown" it is a traditional "village centre"....Look at the comparables back in 1970 Guelph, Oshawa, Barrie, Wingham (population) had "traditional downtowns" shucks even smaller areas Whitby, Orillia, Listowel, Collingwood, Midland had "town centres" you have go to the smaller regional centres Hanover, Ajax, Penetang, Elmira to find "village centres" of equivilence...Yes we are in 2014 comparables are history and Brampton has grown to what the fifth or sixth largest municipality in Ontario...however that growth has not been in the "village centre" it has been through the building of the "perfect bedroom community"...A City over a 1/2 million should not be referring to its downtown as "the Four Corners"...to me it always be 10&7 whether others know it as Queen & Main, whether they attempt to pigeonhole the City Hall and its expansion there makes no difference it is still "village centre"...

No it is not a "traditional downtown" it is a traditional "village centre"....Look at the comparables back in 1970 Guelph, Oshawa, Barrie, Wingham (population) had "traditional downtowns" shucks even smaller areas Whitby, Orillia, Listowel, Collingwood, Midland had "town centres" you have go to the smaller regional centres Hanover, Ajax, Penetang, Elmira to find "village centres" of equivilence...Yes we are in 2014 comparables are history and Brampton has grown to what the fifth or sixth largest municipality in Ontario...however that growth has not been in the "village centre" it has been through the building of the "perfect bedroom community"...A City over a 1/2 million should not be referring to its downtown as "the Four Corners"...to me it always be 10&7 whether others know it as Queen & Main, whether they attempt to pigeonhole the City Hall and its expansion there makes no difference it is still "village centre"...

The short-lived Town of Bramalea (1972-1974) was a town based on the Don Mills planned community. It was suburbia at its "ideal" with a "downtown", employment areas, greenbelts, schools, residential areas, and other areas in their own separate localities.

The short-lived Town of Bramalea (1972-1974) was a town based on the Don Mills planned community. It was suburbia at its "ideal" with a "downtown", employment areas, greenbelts, schools, residential areas, and other areas in their own separate localities.

However Bramalea's original development as part of Ching started in 1957..I remember my parents looking into new developments to move to on the periphery of Toronto back in 1960/1 and deciding on Bay Ridges (Pickering) after considering Bramalea....part of the reason why was the expectation Bramalea was going to grow to 70K within the forseeable future while the Ridges were expexted to stay small (5/10K)...
Bramalea was to be all encompassing residential/commercial/industrial as well as be the "premier" satellite community feeding Toronto....all this was before WG Davis got his fingers in the pie with "Regional Governemnts" and to make sure his home town (Brampton) had a future

I think you're splitting hairs over "downtowns" vs "town centres" vs "village centres". Especially given that Brampton, even pre-amalgamation, would have been at least ten and maybe even en route to twenty times the size of Wingham in 1970...

I think you're splitting hairs over "downtowns" vs "town centres" vs "village centres". Especially given that Brampton, even pre-amalgamation, would have been at least ten and maybe even en route to twenty times the size of Wingham in 1970...

You're right I'm probably pushing it using Wingham in 1970 as an example considering it has static or declining growth since 1930 a better idea would have been using Walkerton as the example seeing it was a county seat similar to Brampton.....however it doesn't change the premise of the "four corners" and the missed opportunity for Brampton to be a city in the truest sense of the word not just "a city" based on census size.....

I don't know who the guy is.....but I didn't get the sense he is apologizing for Fennell as much as calling out Grewal (I found it an interesting read because it made me feel a bit less lonely in thinking the same thing).

Wow - this Lloyd Fournier seems like a real credible source on Brampton municipal elections!

From his own "about me" page:

Lloyd recentlyreceived a civc award for his Humanitarian Achievements.

His last post? A salute to Jim Flaherty full of English errors. His blog is full of poorly written Conservative ramblings and rantings.

You take him seriously?

Last edited:
Wow - this Lloyd Fournier seems like a real credible source on Brampton municipal elections!

From his own "about me" page:

His last post? An salute to Jim Flaherty full of English errors. His blog is full of poorly written Conservative ramblings and rantings.

You take him seriously?

All I read were his pieces on the San Grewal/Fennell matter....and since it, for the most part, agrees with my own thinking (ie. that San Grewal has been far from balanced in his reporting and has been awfully close to the Sanderson/Moore/Curtzolla camp) it is hard for me not to take it serious....I was starting to think I was seeing things that no one else was.....that is a scary thought.

If you really think San Grewal has it in for Fennell and is trying to fix it for Sanderson, make a formal complaint to the Toronto Star and/or the Ontario Press Council. The Star takes serious accusations quite seriously.

If you really think San Grewal has it in for Fennell and is trying to fix it for Sanderson, make a formal complaint to the Toronto Star and/or the Ontario Press Council. The Star takes serious accusations quite seriously.

I have written the star in the past on it (I thought his stories on the Dominus proposal were very slanted as well) and they just ignored it....i think they kinda enjoy getting people riled up.

I don't know who the guy is.....but I didn't get the sense he is apologizing for Fennell as much as calling out Grewal (I found it an interesting read because it made me feel a bit less lonely in thinking the same thing).

She is not a good mayor man. People only ultimately get brought down by their own mistakes.

Back