News   May 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

2011 Canadian Census

You can probably use other sources to estimate the undercount as a whole; but it would be hard to estimate it for particular areas. My gut feel is that the undercount in a new subdivision in Oakville would be a lot lower than in Leslieville ... but I can't imagine quantifying it.

While they didn't let us at the bottom in on what would happen otherwise, the data-sharing between government agencies is much less than one might think due to the aforementioned privacy regulations. While in the Privacy Act personal information is specifically allowed to be used to statistical purposes, getting a project like that off the ground (coordingating departments on one project, one part of one project) would be a more herculean task than having the refusals to eventually comply. Then in many cases, the most useful information to certify an address may be in a provincial database...

2009 cma estimates just came out

4332055342_418408e958_o.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I love watching these things. I think this estimate is most notable for one thing: Winnipeg popped past Hamilton, reversing a century-long fall from 3rd place to 9th. Go Winnie! Although I am sad to see Ottawa slip past Calgary in the last year, most have assumed that happened a long time ago, so I guess there's not much to be said for it. Boo, Calgary!

Yeah Calgary is now number 4... I'm surprised it happened so quickly, but look at those great growth numbers. Edmonton should pass Ottawa by the end of the decade if current trends continue.

Hmm, 11th place Kitchener has almost overtaken 10th place London. If those trends continue Kitchener has already overtaken London in 2010!

and an honourable mention for my "Homeland" of St Cath - Niagara... passing the 400k mark in the last few years. Toronto, keep sending us your retirees!

Just wondering, so that graph means that Toronto is growing at 1.68% per year? So like 7% per census? Those are some pretty high numbers...

Saskatoon has breached 250,000, which is the number I associate with cities having 'arrived,' population-wise, because my old Encyclopedia Britannica atlas used 250,000 as the threshold for larger font and a large symbol with a square inside a square. 'Big city' was 1 million, and had capitalized letters and a large solid square. These just counted the central city, though, but I still mentally connect metro areas to these thresholds.

Halifax has breached 400,000. Winnipeg not only passed Hamilton, but is poised to pass Quebec City and make a veritable leap into 7th place. I'm surprised that the Saguenay has stopped shrinking...only Thunder Bay and poor old Windsor are plummetting at the moment.

Just wondering, so that graph means that Toronto is growing at 1.68% per year? So like 7% per census? Those are some pretty high numbers...

Yes. It means we're growing almost as fast as cities like Dallas, Houston, or even Atlanta (whose growth is fueled, in part, by adding more and more peripheral counties...adding land faster than Toronto, anyway, I think). Phoenix is growing like Calgary, though we'll see what happens with this year's census after the recent housing blips...

So, what other Canadian cities have " Hamiltons " and " Oshawas " in orbit ? Toronto appears to inhabits another level.

So, what other Canadian cities have " Hamiltons " and " Oshawas " in orbit ? Toronto appears to inhabits another level.
The Abbotsford-Mission CMA area is basically an extension of the Lower Mainland up the Fraser River Valley. Vancouver's West Coast Express goes all the way to Mission, so I guess you could consider it an extension of Metro Vancouver. And I guess Brantford could be considered an Oshawa of Hamilton, though not a Hamilton of Toronto so... that's kind of weird.

scarberiankhatru said:
Saskatoon has breached 250,000, which is the number I associate with cities having 'arrived,' population-wise, because my old Encyclopedia Britannica atlas used 250,000 as the threshold for larger font and a large symbol with a square inside a square. 'Big city' was 1 million, and had capitalized letters and a large solid square. These just counted the central city, though, but I still mentally connect metro areas to these thresholds.
I think of 300 k as really the "real city" figure, so Saskatoon still has some way to go for me (and not only in the population sense.) I'll have some more respect for Saskatchewan once it becomes a real big city, and at the rate it's growing at, that must be soon. I'm guessing most of that growth is potash-based? That's the only Saskatchewan industry that I could think of that'd be responsible for such growth.

scarberiankhatru said:
Halifax has breached 400,000. Winnipeg not only passed Hamilton, but is poised to pass Quebec City and make a veritable leap into 7th place. I'm surprised that the Saguenay has stopped shrinking...only Thunder Bay and poor old Windsor are plummetting at the moment.
Just wondering, why is Windsor decreasing? I thought that it was growing... What's the dominant industry in that area that it must be shrinking so much? It's not auto, is it?

I have to admit, I look at that graph and wonder why our cities can't be growing more. We really have the resources (not only just natural,) to support a much higher population in pretty much all our cities. And it's not like it's hard for us to grow our cities. Immigrants from the developing world could probably account for a threefold increase in our population. And if we don't want dirty uneducated immigrants, we could probably get a lot of liberal Americans, attracted by economic opportunities, developing green infrastructure, and a lack of frustration concerning far right Republicans. I guess it's just one of those political will/differing idea things though, right?

Yes ... 8.7% in 5 years if it keeps growing at that rate.

Looking at the table of the last 5 years, the Toronto CMA has grown from 5,170,185 in 2005 to 5,623,450 in 2009 ... a growth of 8.8% in 5 years.

Remember though, this is the Toronto CMA including much of Peel, York, and Durham where much of the growth is. For the City of Toronto itself see this table here where you can see the population has only grown from 2,594,204 to 2,677,708; a growth of 3.2% in 5 years.

And we also have people commuting between those areas and Brantford, Niagara, Guelph, Kitchener, Barrie, and Peterborough. It's unique in Canada. But remember the Greater Golden Horseshoe has a population of over 8.6-million - over 1/4 of the population of the entire country.

I think Torontonians forget just how big our population is compared to the rest of the country. Let's put it this way, the 8.6-million in the Greater Golden Horse is bigger than any other province other than Ontario ... and bigger than the 7 smaller provinces (Alberta, Sasketchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and PEI) and 3 territories combined.

Last edited:
And I guess Brantford could be considered an Oshawa of Hamilton, though not a Hamilton of Toronto so... that's kind of weird.

I can't see that kind of Brantford/Hamilton-specific synergy; after all, they aren't *that* close, sprawl doesn't really bond the two like Oshawa-Toronto, and Brantford might have almost as much claim to be bonded to K-W. Though Guelph might have more claim to be an Oshawa of K-W...

Back