News   Jul 16, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 457     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 560     2 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

I've never understood this war hero label. IMO, war heros are the ones that accomplish their missions and return to base, or die while accomplishing things against incredible odds. He got himself shot down, failed to accomplish his ground attack sortie, lost the navy a million dollar aircraft and the use of one of its pilots (himself). Where is the war hero in that?

If a hero is any enlisted soldier who goes into combat at risk of life and limb, well then we've got tens of thousands of heros. I've no problem with that, and I agree mostly with this sentiment, but then it makes McCain's war hero label somewhat ordinary. And then we'll need a label for those soldiers who against all odds acheive great things, perhaps Super Hero?

In the US, everyone is a hero. Colbert mocks this with the way he calls his audience 'heroes', just for watching his show.

Btw, perhaps the US election discussion should move back to that thread. This is seriously off-topic.

Running for office, military duty is a huge plus and makes people respect you more
John Kerry?

He is a hero however he let his reputation become tarnished by not responding to those swiftboat ads.

Imo however if anyone attacked McCain's military record, they would be savagely attacked.

Eisenhower for President!!

Beaches-East York and Oshawa could go NDP

Newmarket-Aurora and Oakville could go Tory

And Gerard Kennedy has a shot at Parkdale-High Park - though with the NDP getting over 20% in the latest Nanos and Angus-Reid polls and a strong MP in Peggy Nash - it's an uphill climb, I think.

Beaches-East York and Oshawa could go NDP
Newmarket-Aurora and Oakville could go Tory

If these numbers keep up there won't be many safe Lib or NDP seats in Ontario, save for a few.

When looking at the regions, the Conservatives have a firm lead in Ontario — 43 per cent of Ontarians would vote Conservative compared to 34 per cent Liberal.(Source: Environics survey)

This is the big story — the strength of Conservative support in Ontario and how their support has inched upward over the past several months.

Some new talent in Ontario is just what the Conservatives needs and maybe, just maybe in the GTA. Peter Kent in Thornhill must be smiling at these numbers, this is one in the Conservatives cross-hairs.

However in the last two elections the Conservatives build up such leads in Ontario and then 6% of the people switch their minds and go "maybe not"

Why did they change their vote, they did not Harper to win a Majority.

Imo Harper needs to peak right before election day not 1 week before election day like in 2006

ya, I was a bit shocked by these latest polls... can we ever really trust polls anyway? Even my mom and gramma who are big GWB fans (gawd help them) does not like Harper... and since when do such large slices of the population change their potential vote from one week to the next. I would submit that polls are not as scientific as they claim to be... "+/- 5% 19 times out of 20", ya whatever.

As much as I think Dion is a decent, intelligent guy with some admirable goals, I do think the questions about his leadership qualities are legitimate. The question arises - if the Liberals are defeated soundly, allowing a Conservative majority will we see another leadership convention? If so I think the reins will likely go to Ignatieff. Personally I would like to vote Green, but as I have in the past I will vote Liberal in hopes of denying Harper a majority if it comes to that.

On that ridiculous point a couple pages back about there being no reason why abortion should be legal because of the thousands of years of history without it: look, nobody enjoys having an abortion. The point is, some women will find themselves in a situation where they do not want the baby for a whole range of reasons. Whether those reasons are good enough to please the rest of us is irrelevant. In the past, before advanced medical procedures women used all sorts of barbaric means in order to rid themselves of an unwanted fetus. Such methods were often harmful to the mother's health or even fatal. In our modern civilized society we have realized (legally atleast) that if a woman has her mind set on abortion as her course of action, then atleast we should offer her a way to do it that is safe for her. Anything that sets this attitude backward is regressive against women's rights. Let me state again for any pro-lifers out there, nobody is "pro-abortion", but rather we are pro- women's rights.

Yeah this 43% figure seems way too high, but the 29% figure from Nanos seems on the low side. My feeling is that Harper has done little to gain so much, but I don't buy this argument that there's all these traditional PCs in Ontario who voted for Harper in '06 but are now appalled, etc. The Angus-Reid figure of 35% seems about right. But I guess we'll see.

Back