News   Jul 10, 2024
 593     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 875     0 

2007 Ontario Election: MMP Referendum

Pep'rJack

Member Bio
Reaction score
What are your thoughts re this? I'm inclined to vote for MMP, but I'm wary of unforeseen consequences. Aside from possible gridlock and other things mentioned in the article, what do you see as the 'risks' of switching to this system?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You say you want a referendum?

Actually, the majority of Ontarians aren't even aware of the upcoming vote that could alter the province's political landscape forever. And the ones who are aware are trying to understand what it all means

by Chris Bilton
Eye Weekly
August 30, 2007

http://www.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_08.30.07/city/news.php

While the 2003 Ontario election carried with it a euphoric post-Harris glow of a fresh new start, one significant thing remained unchanged: a minority government was still wielding a majority rule. Surely the fact that the Liberals could hold 70 per cent of the seats while only receiving 46 per cent of the popular vote had to be the result of some kind of residual common sense reorganization. But, in actual fact, every Ontario government since 1937 has technically been a minority. Despite both parties winning landslide elections, neither Harris' Conservatives nor even Dalton McGuinty's Liberals have managed to attract even half of the total votes.

Under an alternate system, namely the Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP) system being proposed in this fall's electoral referendum, the last election's results would have looked more like this: a Liberal minority government with the Conservatives and NDP together holding the balance of power, and the Green party coming within about 8,000 votes of getting an actual seat in the house.

Wait a minute. What's an MMP? And who said anything about a referendum?

So apparently nearly two-thirds of Ontarians aren't even aware of what their options are in the Oct. 10 referendum. But that doesn't change the fact that MMP represents the first ever choice of an alternative to our current system. A citizen's assembly made up of a random cross-section of 107 Ontarians (one from each riding) spent eight months researching, conducting public consultations and comparing different electoral systems before recommending that Ontario adopt it. Now we just have to choose between our current system and MMP.

Michael Ufford of the “No MMP” campaign calls it unnecessarily complicated, yet Steve Withers of Fair Vote Canada's “Vote for MMP” campaign thinks that the system looks so good that Elections Ontario would appear biased if they explained properly. But as the two versions of the last election illustrate, choosing between systems is like choosing between two very different electoral realities.

Here's how these two realities play out: with our current first-past-the-post system, we elect members of parliament for each riding, and then the party with the most elected members makes up the government. We as voters don't exactly choose the government, we just hope that the party of the member we vote for gets enough other members elected to be in power. But whether or not our member is part of the government, at least they represent our riding.

What MMP offers is a hybrid system, which combines this kind of regional representation with the direct representation of also voting for a specific party. You still get to vote for the member in your riding, but you then cast a second vote for the party you want in power. So if you think Conservative John Tory will best represent the Don Valley West riding but like the NDP's national environmental policies, you get to support both. Conversely, if you know the Green Party is doomed in St. Paul's, your second vote will still count towards their total.

While voting twice isn't all that mind-blowing as a concept, calculating the results for MMP requires a bit of imagination. Parliament would increase from 107 to 129 seats and would then be split among 90 local members and an additional 39 list members. The local members will be determined by first-past-the-post results just like every previous election, but the list members (who are chosen from lists submitted by each party before the election) would be distributed to reflect each party's total number of votes. The total number of seats held by each party would roughly reflect their percentage of the vote.

The assembly's recommendation of this radical redistribution came with the belief that MMP would provide “fairer results, greater election choice, and stronger representation.” Fairer results depend entirely on whether voters want the government to be determined by how many members get elected or how many total votes a party gets. But election choice and stronger representation are already being hotly debated.

The new system would likely allow for more parties, which makes greater election choice a given. With a three per cent threshold for list members, smaller parties like the Green Party would be able to use their overall support to gain a seat in parliament even though they probably wouldn't win an actual riding. In light of an almost inevitable minority government, Ufford sees the new system as a way for these smaller fringe parties to hold the balance of power, and a potential for political gridlock.

However Withers champions additional parties for having the exact opposite effect: “Members can easily split off and create their own parties [so there will be] less vote towing. Most critics don't understand how powerful three per cent is for keeping party leaders in check.” Withers also points out that in countries like Germany and New Zealand – where he owns a farm and worked on their successful 1993 campaign for MMP – these smaller parties aren't single-issue extremist parties. “They want to become big parties,” he says, “so they want to be in the centre where the votes are.”

Although these smaller parties will provide a sense of stronger representation overall, it's not obvious at first whom exactly the 39 list members would represent. Withers, expects that “parties will want to distribute list members accordingly,” like they do in New Zealand. “PCs will locate members in Toronto where there currently are none and they will be able to offer constituency services and a voice for the region in the caucus,” he says.

But as ridings are reconfigured to accommodate the 90 local members, there would be 17 fewer ridings than in this year's election. Between this reduction and list candidates making up as much as 30 per cent of each party, Ufford sees the proposed system as a way for parties to actually become less flexible as “the basic shift in political power [will be] from local voters to much more control over the party apparatus at Queen's Park.”

Withers counters that, under the current system, “MPPs who aren't accountable to me are the ones in other ridings.” Since the list members are a direct representation of voter support for a party, they are completely accountable to those who voted for them. ”They are all swing votes,” he says, “and they are all equal.”

With such diametrically opposed campaigns both ultimately concerned with simply educating the public, it's no wonder that both Withers and Ufford urge the media to open up the debate. Ontario is allocating $6.8 million for the public education campaign (nearly twice what BC spent on its 2005 referendum), but until everyone gets back from summer vacation, the flow of information has been but a trickle.

Once you've exhausted Elections Ontario's referendum website, www.yourbigdecision.ca, it's worth checking out both www.voteformmp.ca and www.nommp.ca, for a more detailed analysis. We've all experienced enough election hangovers to anticipate just how painful a referendum hangover could be.

I'm pro-MMP. While there are some "unknowns" there always will be regardless of what system is proposed. If after a few election cylces, MMP isn't producing results hoped for, then other options (or going back to FPP) could be studied instead.

Personally, I think MMP is a very good, and well thought out, compromise between a complete proportional and a complete FPP system. I just hope Ontarians start paying attention to this very important issue, regardless of the outcome.

For provincial politics, I see no real need for this system. Maybe at the federal level, but not at the provincial level. I prefer to stick with the devil I know.

With MMP, there will probably be a reduction in the number of local ridings. It remains to be seen how that will be weighted: will cities lose, or rural areas?

The idea that some MPP's will be chosen by other MPP's does not enthuse me. I like the idea that voters do the choosing of representatives.

From what I can see, this is a recipe for more politiking, and less decisive action on the part of whatever party has the largest number of seats (because minority governments will become the norm rather than the exception). Such a system does not automatically result in good government or clear policy development. It could result in soft, consensual decisions that are often weak in expression, or poorly structured so as to satisfy all members of the political spectrum. That type of indecisiveness will come back to haunt us - the voters - on any number of policy issues that would demand clarity and decisive action (energy, environment, health, urban issues).

Electoral reform a hard sell

by Murray Whyte
September 9, 2007

http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Elections/article/254529

What if we told you a revolution was coming – that the natural evolution of democracy was at hand? What if we told you that 107 people just like you – your friends, neighbours, colleagues – had fashioned this revolution, not bureaucrats and policy wonks?

And what if we said that, in the end, this revolution would, if you chose to accept it, be entirely up to you?

Wow.

Then, what if we said that, on Oct. 10, Elections Ontario will hold a referendum based on the findings of a 107-member citizen committee where voters will choose between the current, first-past-the-post electoral system and a proposed Mixed Member Proportional ...

Here, we pause for the glazing of the eyes. Online – and elsewhere, of course – political obsessives and armchair pundits are wildly fanning their own flames at what's better and what's worse (see the imaginatively named nommp.ca and its equally creative foil, voteformmp.ca for more details).

But for the rest of us, it's not much more than a dull flicker. And that, of course, is exactly the problem. The proposed MMP system – which is designed so that the number of seats a party claims better reflects the percentage of popular vote they receive – is a fundamental shift in how our democracy operates. (No Ontario government since 1937, majority or otherwise, has ever actually had 50 per cent of the vote or more.)

"It's probably not on anybody's top 1,000 lists of things they think about everyday," shrugs Rick Kemp. His job, as executive creative director at Grey Canada, the ad agency hired by Elections Ontario, is, simply, to make people care.

Tough job. "Electoral reform is really important," he says. "But engaging people and getting them to embrace it is another matter."

Or as Lawrence LeDuc, who studies electoral reform in the political science department at U of T, puts it, the public education campaign "has to be neutral, and that's intrinsically weak. In the effort to be neutral, it's hard to be slick."

So MMP has an image problem. They've done their best, with a public education campaign that centres around the website cajolement yourbigdecision.ca. "And that URL is great," says Max Valiquette, president of Youthography, a youth culture marketing firm in Toronto. "It turns it into something about me, and makes it significant, too."

Click through, though, and you're offered the enticing invitation to "learn about the first-past-the-post and Mixed-Member Proportional systems by watching this video."

A click, a long, long load, and a friendly, goateed fellow with a kindergarten-teacheresque tone invites you into chapter one of seven – seven! – very educational chapters.

At the end of the introduction, you're offered a choice about which system to delve into first.

"This is a big decision," he smiles. "I'm happy you're taking your time to think about these options."

"If it takes seven chapters to understand this – Mary, Mother of God, who's going to do that?" Valiquette says.

"It took 30 seconds for the site to load – I want to understand it by then. What I need is a very simple, very fast way of digesting what's at stake."

Understanding political process is always a consternating conundrum. The political world – politicians, press, and rabid pol-watchers – tend to "speak in a vernacular that is utterly befuddling," says Philippe Garneau.

"Democracy is an emotional experience. But once you start using words like `proportional,' you lose people."

Garneau, the executive creative director of Toronto-based GWP Brand Engineering, has done work for companies such as MasterCard, the CBC and ING Direct. The firm steers away from political clients.

"Democracy's a bitch to sell," he says.

Still, he has some ideas.

"We subscribe to the idea that people feel before they think. That's the entrance to their psyche," he says.

So how to make someone feel – let alone think – about the inner-workings of the governmental machine?

"What's the core of the Canadian psyche? I would say fairness is up there. That's not a bad door to go through. `Is it fair to vote in this manner, or that manner? You decide.'"

Garneau suggest that framing the referendum as the evolution of fairness in our very democratic system – letting citizens not just elect, but choose how to elect – is an emotional appeal at the core of a free society.

"Call it Canadian Democracy 2.0," he says. "And let them know that Ontario is leading the charge in embracing democracy as a dynamic experiment, not a hard and fast rule. That gives them something to take home and be proud of."

That's the image problem – solved, maybe? "One of the core things we talk about is that everything is a branding exercise," Valiquette says.

"`For the first time ever, you have a chance to change our democracy.' `Vote on the MMP' doesn't do that. If that's your brand, it doesn't tell me anything. And if it doesn't tell me anything, I won't engage with it, and if I don't engage with it I won't understand it. And if I don't understand it, I won't vote.' That's the problem. `MMP' is not something you're going to curl up with at night."

Not voting is perhaps the best possible outcome. "It's a big challenge," says the U of T's LeDuc. "The voter only has a few weeks, and not much help along the way."

Leduc, who studies electoral reform in the political science department at U of T, says a lot of different factors sway voting, and understanding the issues, sadly, is only one of them.

"If you don't like the current system for some reason, you're likely to vote for change even if you don't understand it all that well," he says.

People vote in groups – women's groups, business groups, ethnic groups – or with their party loyalties when they can. (To be clear: the two main parties, Liberal and Tory, are split on the MMP question, where the smaller parties, like Green and NDP, are big advocates, because it will likely give them more seats).

Youthography's Valiquette appreciates the challenge.

"It's hard. It's very, very hard. But it's got to be distilled some way. The idea that this could, somehow, give people more control over their lives – you have a chance to change our democracy. That's worth learning about, isn't it?"

For provincial politics, I see no real need for this system. Maybe at the federal level, but not at the provincial level. I prefer to stick with the devil I know.

...That type of indecisiveness will come back to haunt us - the voters - on any number of policy issues that would demand clarity and decisive action (energy, environment, health, urban issues).

Hydrogen, thanks for your view on this. I just read the article that Pep'rJack kindly shared here.

I know the Government lies. All three levels. So I now operate with what is the best defence citizens have against that. I know --not much.

I also believe in the future citizens will be exposed to more lies, rather than less. Sorry. But that's certainly what my Freedom of Information results hint at.

And all three levels know that all three levels are lying to citizens. It's actually a climate of Lies.

And if I take your comment about the new voting structure potentially leading to indecisiveness...

That type of indecisiveness will come back to haunt us - the voters - on any number of policy issues that would demand clarity and decisive action (energy, environment, health, urban issues).

With the smaller parties getting in there.... is there more likelihood that lies are revealed?

And yes, Hydrogen. I've sunk to the depths of cynicism. I won't be voting for how to improve democracy, merely what is the better way to slow its inevitiable descent.

Knowing there are pros and cons - with MMP we're going to see better representation from views outside the mainstream, but unlikely to ever get a majority government - I'm reluctantly in favour of MMP.

I hope through MMP we can have government more like northern European countries where decisions are arrived at through debate and consensus and less like that in the American system where political discussion comes down to slandering the opposing parties.

Chow envisions greater voice for women

MP hails benefits of new voting system at referendum info session – but only 20 attend

by Vit Wagner
September 9, 2007

http://www.thestar.com/OntarioElection/article/254595

Expect a greater voice for women and visible minorities at Queen's Park, if Ontario voters okay the switch to a more proportional system of representation during next month's election-day referendum.

So said federal MP Olivia Chow and other proponents of proportional representation during an information forum on electoral reform yesterday.

The supporters base the prediction on evidence from countries where proportional representation already exists. All of the countries that have met the United Nations' target of 30 per cent female representation in national legislatures, for instance, use some form of proportional representation.

"Remember that in the democratic world, there are three or four countries that do it the way we do," Chow, the NDP MP for Trinity-Spadina, told the Star. "The rest of them have had proportional representation for years and have not had any trouble. And on top of it they have economic vibrancy, more women elected and greater representation of different voices."

When Ontario voters go to the polls on Oct. 10, they will be presented with a referendum ballot asking them to choose between the current, so-called "first past the post system," which awards each riding to the candidate with the most votes, and a Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) system favoured by the Ontario Citizens' Assembly, a provincially appointed body charged with weighing alternatives to the existing system.

Under MMP, 90 MPPs would be elected to represent individual ridings, while another 39 members would be added to the legislature based on the percentage of the vote won by their party.

The 39 at-large members would be chosen from lists provided by each party. The parties wouldn't be under any obligation to weight their lists with women and visible minorities but, said Chow, "if they don't they'll have a lot to answer for."

To go forward, MMP needs to be approved by at least 60 per cent of voters in 60 per cent of Ontario's ridings. Right now, however, public awareness is the greatest hurdle for supporters.

"My concern is that there are going to be a lot of people at the polling stations on Oct. 10 who will be looking at this question on the ballot – and it will be the first time they've heard about it," said McMaster University political scientist Karen Bird, one of the organizers of the forum, which was attended by about 20 people.

Previous referendums on proportional representation were defeated in Prince Edward Island and British Columbia – although in the case of B.C., the vote fell just shy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've long disliked Chow, and the underlined section above is as good an example as any of why. Greater representation of women and visible minorities would be a good thing, but I'm decidedly not enthused about MMP being used as an effectively extortionary tool to force some sort of affirmative-action style parliament. This is just the kind of potential consequence I'm wary of if MMP is chosen.

I've long disliked Chow, and the underlined section above is as good an example as any of why. Greater representation of women and visible minorities would be a good thing, but I'm decidedly not enthused about MMP being used as an effectively extortionary tool to force some sort of affirmative-action style parliament. This is just the kind of potential consequence I'm wary of if MMP is chosen.

Completely agree! I am very uncomfortable with the idea that over one quarter of the representatives would be direct political appointees who answer to a party and not to the electorate. Chow states that this would result in "different voices," but fails to point out that these members are going to have to answer to the specific party and not to the people. Overall, democratic representation is greatly reduced in this system.

^ But the party answers to the people who voted for its list. How's that less democratic? People who voted for a party's list will hold that party accountable for its choices.

Also, I don't see how that's different from right now, where most people vote for the party anyway, and the party decides who's going to run in which riding. Same thing.

Exactly. With the current system you might like the party but not the local candidate who the party picked.

(because minority governments will become the norm rather than the exception)
Minority governments wouldn't become the norm. Coalition governments would. There's a difference.

Minority governments wouldn't become the norm. Coalition governments would. There's a difference.

Yes, there's a difference, but you can't state such a thing as an absolute fact. If you want a system that is focussed even more on party differences, then you should not expect parties to dilute their positions. Given that two parties can join in a coalition, you could end up with more severe or diluted outcomes. A more severe position taken by the party with fewer seats can rule the day because it can always threaten the party with greater number of seats in a coalition. The party with the greater number of seats may give in to the demands of the party with the fewer number of seats so as to be seen to fulfill its election promise.

You know that Chretien, Martin and other party leaders have done this anyway using their discretionary power to override the riding association, often to have more female or minority candidates. A party list doesn't make a big difference. The party list would not necessarily be stacked, but could alternate.

Anyway, I like Layton, but am not really a fan of Chow either.

Given that two parties can join in a coalition, you could end up with more severe or diluted outcomes. A more severe position taken by the party with fewer seats can rule the day because it can always threaten the party with greater number of seats in a coalition.
With MMP the smaller parties have nothing to gain by threatening the bigger parties. I don't see people switching who they vote for as much with MMP as they do now. Naturally, the bigger parties would have to compromise to find some common ground with the smaller parties in a coalition - that's the whole point.

MMP coalitions work well in places like New Zealand and Germany. If they haven't had problems there, why would we have them here?

I definitely see the appeal of MMP, but I just can't support the system as proposed. Getting in to the legislature with 3% of the vote is crazy. I don't think we would benefit from having a big flock of single-member, single-issue parties. Remember, this would mean seats for people like the Christian Heritage and (potentially) Marijuana parties. At something like 7%, it would make much more sense.

I do see the potential in the party list for attracting better candidates. If you can pretty much guarantee someone a seat in the legislature since each party generally has a basic minimum percentage of the popular vote that it receives, you could certainly attract a number of high-quality people who wouldn't take the risk of running in a riding. My problem with the list system is who decides who makes it on, and the order in which people are listed. Will this be yet another opportunity for the backroomers to take control?

Back