News   Jul 22, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 285     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

2006 Municipal Elections: Can Miller Win Re-election?

M

MetroMan1000

The Star is warming up the topic of municipal elections due in 8 months. Miller and Hazel will be up for re-election. While the latter is a shoe in, I'm beginning to think that the former is up in the air.

With crime up and the city going broke, there is a lot of garbage potential candidates can throw Miller out of office with.

I see where David Miller is going with his policies and how he's setting the stage for some major moves in his second term. However, will the citizens of Toronto see that or are we going to have Miller ousted before he can make some real changes?

I've thought this through, looked at the flip side, and I guess David Miller still has 8 months to compile together an arsenal of accomplishments.

By then, progress on the Waterfront will be visible (i.e. H2O + Lake Ontario parks), the Toronto Act will be in place and the city will be receiving gas tax and finding new revenue with its new powers with sights to balance the next budget without depending on the province. Also, the GTTA looks like it will garner in a new era of renewed provincial investment in transit, largely lifting that huge weight off the city's budget.

Nonetheless, 8 months is cutting it very tight. We better start seeing some real accomplishments this spring.

Who's running against Miller besides Pitfield? Does she even have a chance? David Miller's big competitor, John Tory, is now "unavailable". I think incumbency will turn out to be Mayor Miller's major advantage and not his (in)visible accomplishments.

from the Star:

Union closed shop for city?
Mar. 25, 2006. 10:57 AM
ROYSON JAMES

Facing a city budget spiralling out of control, expenses rising to $300 million above revenues, six city councillors sit down to find savings in Toronto's multi-billion-dollar budget. They make multiple recommendations to the mayor.

Far from a broadside attack on unionized workers, the report suggests council focus more on its core services, look for areas to privatize services and do so in a sensitive manner, working with civic unions.

The group warns that strong political will is essential to change the status quo.

But for more than a year, the mayor, council's leader, sits on the proposals, unable to muster the political will — some say the stomach — to challenge the civic unions that dominate municipal services.

If you're thinking David Miller, the union-coddling, workers-embracing, brothers-and-sisters magistrate now reigning at city hall, think again.

In fact, it was Mel Lastman — the mayor who took the city on a strike to end what he characterized as the civic unions' desire to have "jobs for life" — who dithered in 2000 and eventually failed to implement the modest proposals of the Single City Savings Task Force.

"We didn't have the votes. We couldn't get it through," explains Councillor Case Ootes, then Lastman's deputy.

Some say Lastman didn't try hard enough. What is clear now is there is no appetite at Toronto City Hall for managed competition, alternate service delivery, out-sourcing or any of the euphemisms for turning over union jobs to the private sector.

No appetite yesterday, today, or ...

In fact, as Toronto's budget shortfall increases — reaching past $500 million this year — the chances of privatizing city services has disappeared.

Whereas Mel put up a fight, ineffective though it proved to be, and citizens suffered through a strike, the current boss has gone in the opposite direction. In last year's labour negotiations, Miller gave the civic unions job protection they may never relinquish. He gave them a clause guaranteeing against contracting out city work. Even more, he's supported a move to bring services, once privatized, back into the union fold.

"This mayor has gone far beyond what was needed to bring them (unions) along ... with a supportive perspective," says budget chief David Soknacki. For example, agreeing to pay summer students at the union wage rate of $17.50 an hour to pick up litter is ridiculous when they "would be thrilled" to do it for $12 an hour, Soknacki says.

The high student wage is a product of insistence from the union that the jobs remain union positions, a disincentive for the city to erode union jobs.

"The pendulum has swung too far in the direction of a closed shop. It's taboo. You don't even consider it," says Soknacki, who can hardly be described as a radical right-winger.

Etobicoke and York had their garbage and recycling collection privatized before amalgamation in 1998, and they still do. A recent city study shows it would cost $1.3 million more per year to return the service to the city unions, plus start-up costs of $900,000 and $14.6 million to buy new trucks and equipment.

Some councillors argue waste collection should be privatized across the city to save money. But council's majority prefers to have some of it contracted out and some done by city workers. Until now, it seems.

Left-leaning councillors were skeptical of the study and ordered a review. In the meantime, there is a move to delay re-awarding the York contract to the private sector (it's up for renewal next year) until the Etobicoke contract is up in 2008. The move, endorsed by Miller, is seen as a forerunner to contracting in the service.

Councillor Brian Ashton, who sat on that initial task force in 1999, says while he doesn't favour the willy-nilly turning over of city work to the private sector, city council needs leverage to get productivity gains from its unionized workforce.

"Miller believes he will work face-to-face with unions and they will deliver these benefits. We haven't seen anything because there is no leverage," Ashton says.

Another consideration is this: While all evidence points to a fiscal problem at city hall, it's clear the mayor believes there are no savings — make that, only teensy-weensy savings — available in the city departmental budgets.

"If that's the case, there's no need for discussions and debate around contracting out," says Ashton. "How do you get continuous improvement when the unions know they don't have to pay. And at the end of the day, you'll salute and say, `Yes sir.'"

Additional articles by Royson James

As long as there are no other Jane Creba-type shootings, the city looks nice until next winter, and McGuinty continues to play ball, I think Miller is a lock.

Wow. Quoting Royson James and his strange, inconsistant hate-on for Miller. I'm sure he would have loved Lastman to remain mayor.

Though there are parts about Miller that disappoint me. Like not allowing taxes to increase more than 3% - something closer to 4-4.5% would be much more realistic, when Mississauga, Brampton and others are paying increases of 5-6% (I am a Toronto property owner now, and would be willing to pay more in tax, especially for more and better services). And allowing the TTC Ridership Growth Strategy to stall - there's a lot of routes now that are becoming overcrowded during the off-peak and weekends, especially with the low-floors, never mind the plans to reduce the frequency of TTC fare increases.

I think Miller has done much more in less than three years than Lastman in six. Given a choice between Pitfield (whose most notable achievement of late has been the Eucrap bins) and Miller, I'll take Miller.

So far, no credible candidate from the left has decided to run against Miller - a dangerous gambit in any case that might split the vote and allow a right winger to win.

Marilyn Churley grumbled loudly, following her federal defeat, after Miller had endorsed John Godfrey - a Liberal - but not her. And from talking to a few neighbours on my Riverdale street - all Miller voters last time - I get the impression his support is still a mile wide but now only an inch deep. I'm not sure if that is a local issue because Churley was our MPP, or if it translates across the city.

Unless a more plausible centre-left candidate can capitalize on the feeling that he hasn't accomplished much that is progressive, and indeed has raised our property taxes by 3% each year like any good business-lobby candidate would - it will be up to the right to "dethrone" him if they can.

Isn't Miller's approval rating somewhere in the 75% range?

It seems like he is fairly unassailable...I don't think many people take Pitfield that seriously, especially given that, a bit of visible crime aside, people look around the city now and largely like what they see: lots of cultural stuff, cleaner streets, an economic boom, etc. I would also imagine most people understand that the budget issues are structural, and Pitfield will have a hard time convincing them otherwise.

Even if I wouldn't support her, I'd consider Pitfield credible--all in all, it's probably more a litmus for whatever leftover right-wing Tammany organization (Paul Godfrey's minions et al) can galvanize. Y'know, if they're lucky, it might be like no-hope Eggleton eking out Sewell in 1980, all over again.

And better her as a standard-bearer for "the other side" than, say, Paul Sutherland...

It looks like the consensus is that we'll see a second Miller term. That's good because I've always considered that Mayor Miller's first term would be for undoing all the crap that the Lastman-Harris tagteam haddone in the decade of "Hate Toronto".

I look forward to seeing what he can do now that he's accomplished his ultimate goal: a new deal, a Toronto Act.

Miller will take it without any problems, after all, he is the best we've got.

I think Miller is going down. Outside of the core I can't point to much he's done.

I'm with you Canuck, and I can't wait for it to happen.

He's a shoo-in. He's done a good job, and there is no serious opposition.

I'd say more that there is no serious opposion at this point, than that he's done a good job. I don't think he's done a good job at all.

I don't think he's done a good job at all.
I am curious as to what you and the others who say this expected Miller (or any mayor in a nonpartisan weak-mayor structure) to be able to accomplish.

Back