News   May 24, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 423     0 

2005-6 Federal Election: Conservative - NDP coalition?

An NDP - Conservative coalition would work

I think not.

The reason why the NDP attacks the Liberals far more than the Conservatives is quite simple. First, the Liberals have been the party in power up till now. Second, a Conservative government presents a clear opportunity for the NDP to stand out in terms of politics and ideology. They would be more noticeable as an opposition party with Conservative policies in effect. The differences between the liberals and the NDP are much less than the NDP and the Conservatives.

You have to remember that while a party can wield power as a government, an effective opposition has a considerable amount of sway when it can make reasonable counter arguments to the policies of the government. Otherwise, a Conservative-NDP coalition is nonesense.

A big chunk of NDP supporters would abandon the party if they supported the Conservatives, given the differences in their platforms and philosophy. Jack backed off his musings on the subject pretty quickly last week - not, I suspect, because the concept was rejected by the Conservatives.

Though I think his musings were more gameplaying/conditional, i.e. "sure we're open, as long as they meet our conditions", knowing darned well that they probably *won't*...

Apparently many ex PC that were not interested with the Reform Alliance have been involved with the NDP. Obviously the Liberals were not an option.

My thought is that if the only way Harper can retain power long enough to get some work done is to work with Layton, they will work it out. Power is a great coalition builder, and by working with Harper, Layton could help to soften the former's reputation, leading perhaps to better CPC support in the next election in 2007.

Back