News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 426     0 

1970s Toronto

Well then, I would say it's good we got both of those things out of there. It's crazy, looking at that photo, how much land the railway took up even at that point in time. I suppose you can see why there was a backlash against rail.

All those rail yards simply moved to Vaughan. Technology allowed them to shrink in size while handling many times more volume.

There was a time when the size of a city's rail yards were a mark of pride.

It's not like anyone wanted to swim in Lake Ontario 40 years ago. Nobody cared about access to the lake then. The flight was to the Kawarthas and Haliburton.

Look at the ads. "Tower Power", "On Top In Toronto". Its the original bridge to the CN Tower from Front Street. It was located where smuncky has indicated. It was moved when the Dome was built.

It now resides on Highway 11 north of Barrie. There's a famous roadside burger joint (can't remember the name) up there that bought it. They had so many people stopping on the other side of the highway that it was causing problems. They now have this bridge so people don't have to cross the highway.

WOW! I had no idea that the Webbers bridge was that! Next time I stop by and pay a little more attention to that pedestrian bridge!

Back