News   Sep 06, 2024
 245     1 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 927     6 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 465     0 

167 College St. (3 Storey Retail)

Sometimes I get the feeling that Toronto isn't getting any better architecturally, it's just trying on new styles in a haphazard, uncoordinated manner like a six year old girl rummaging through her mother's closet. Yes, some good stuff is being built and some buildings actually seem to form part of a coherent, contextually-relevant style (the so-called 'Toronto style') that might give some stamp of identity to the city in a few decades time. On the other hand, we just replace crap with crap or build ad hoc additions that are completely at odds with their surroundings.

Just as I'd warn against projecting too much value onto what presently exists on-site, I'd also warn against projecting too much "typical of Toronto" pathology upon what's being proposed. Because this isn't typical of Toronto; or at least, this particular zone of Toronto. Maybe it'd be typical of Hamilton or London; but as things now stand, it's beneath Toronto--which explains the knocks the project is getting in this thread.

With luck, it's only a schematic depiction, due for refinement and heavy neck-breathing from Adam Vaughan's office...

Any update on this site? It seems the sign is no longer there. At risk of nimby-ism, can't a developer or the university find a different use for this well located corner of land? Or has the sale / relocation been called off? I can't find any information on the salvation army hope shelter page.

"The University does not plan on developing the project site for at least another 5-10 years. Until this time, the proposal is to convert 167 College Street into office space for a new group of University of Toronto Communications (UTC) combined with the Division of University of Advancement (DUA) Communications and Marketing team (ACM), creating a “Communications House” as well as to house much needed St. George campus swing space."

What is swing space?

"Over a third of 167 College Street will be devoted to swing space for academic and administrative staff in need of temporary office space during renovation or new capital build projects."

Lots of details here, including floorplans.

Back