News   Oct 02, 2024
 395     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.7K     2 

12 Minto St. @ Eastern

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Between this and the new Pinewood proposal, Eastern Ave. is very slowly getting some development. It seems it's always been a kind of forgotten roadway.

pplication: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4L 1B6

Ward 32: Beaches-East York

Application#: 13 170672 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 17, 2013

Project: Houses and Apartments New Building

Description: Proposal to demolish existing properties on 12 and 14 Minto St and construct new 8 unit residential building with underground parking and an accessible green roof. Total building area to be 1252.8m2.

Captureminto.JPG

Looks like it's actually these two houses (bungalow and the one to the West): http://goo.gl/maps/C5vnj

Also the application says 8 units, not 8 storeys. It's a little unusual to see small apartments being built in a residential area like this but not a bad thing imo. We'll see what the rendering looks like but the houses that would get destroyed don't look like they're anything special.

ycling and vehicular linkages flanked by a mix of community service and cultural organizations such as Artscape, Evergreen and the Salvation Army.

Those who remember the late 70s/early 80s music scene in Toronto might be interested in this. Just noticed yesterday that the former home of the late, great Nash the Slash is now in play. It’s located just west of the Russell Car House. Although it’s not a particularly wide lot it’s pretty deep and it looks like someone wants to build a three story, 4-unit residential building in its place. A few years ago a loft conversion project was done on a former industrial building on Minto, tucked in just south of Queen Street; Nash’s house sits at the north-west corner of Eastern and Minto. The slow gentrification of Eastern continues (although the stretch between Nash’s house and Leslie and beyond is particularly hardscrabble and in need of some redevelopment).

YSbfPzdjpV6A9DlI

AKWbWFhUJznslfbs

zslLb4giqKsHeNt9

xeRIr7hFjeh8J1lu

Thanks for the update! Didn't know about this one.

864 Eastern has also been renovated. Zoning allows for Live Work. It's available for lease or for sale for nearly 3 million!

The studio to the north of it on Laing also just went up for sale for over 1.5 million

The warehouse on 858 Eastern is/was also up for lease/sale for around 5 million.

Hopefully the streetcar yard goes as well.

Last edited:
Don't expect the streetcar yard to go anytime soon. I think it's here for at least another ten years. Especially since the new fleet is taking so long to arrive. Even then, the Russell Car House is supposed to store up to a third of the new fleet, or so we were told the last Doors Open. I'd expect movement sooner than that for the giant postal facility just opposite it. That's going to be a big play when it finally goes down. But really, I'm just speculating here.

864 Eastern is a bit of a non-starter. It looks like it was supposed to be an event space but it's been finished for a long time now and I've never seen a single event hosted there. It's just sitting there, empty. Kinda weird. Either it's ahead of the market or it's priced itself entirely out of the market - take your pick. Myself and a friend checked it out maybe fifteen years ago, when he was looking to get a decent, affordable building in the east end. It's a nice size but it's also in a dead zone. That end of Eastern is pretty thin pickings, retail-wise. It's still clinging tightly to its industrial past. I think you'll see more movement over by Revival, at 629 Eastern. Office and retail stuff is going in there over the next few years. Big chunk of land, too.

I'd love to see the auto wreckers on the north side of Eastern (between Minto and Leslie) close up shop, but I won't hold my breath. It's still early days yet.

Let's start a lobby group to move the postal facility :D

You're right — the area is going to take ten years before before all the garages and industrial places leave. Properties on Queen will be developed and raise the value of the land on Eastern, which will entice the current shops to sell.

Revival at 629 Eastern will help as well. However; the City does not want the proposed hotel there.

Yes, Queen East is going to spur things first. It's a dead stretch between Leslie and Coxwell but there's movement there too with proposed mid-rise residential. Even Gerrard Street in Little India is showing remarkable signs of vibrancy. All that should put pressure on Eastern to modernize and become far more mixed-use.

The 8800 Sq Ft. building on 858 (or 838) Eastern has been sold for around 5 million.

Hopefully a developer purchased it.

See the attached image: it's highlighted in blue.
If a developer purchased it, they probably also want the car wreck/junkyard to the west of it.
858 eastern.png

Attachments

• 858 eastern.png
    858 eastern.png
    705.1 KB · Views: 532
I thought that might be it. Yeah, a biggish lot. I don't know if the junkyard folks are prepared to sell just yet. But everyone has a price, right? I'd love to see some action along here. A combination of residential and retail would be nice.

Back