News   May 03, 2024
 406     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 270     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 153     0 

116-142 Ryding Ave (Urros Investments, ?s, ?)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Lobbyist Registry, we learn the above parcels are in play, or hope to be, with former Councillor Palacio retained to lobby for rezoning.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32987​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

116 R & 126, 132, 140,142 Ryding Aven -Municipal Comprehension Review Request (MCR)

The Clients are the above listed Urros, and ACD Fresh and Frozen

Site is in the heart of the old stockyards and immediately to the south of lands already being redeveloped as housing.

However, these sites would continue to face employment/industrial uses pending further rezoning.

Site is a bit west of Keele, south of St. Clair.

Aerial Pic:

1645814431520.png

Site size: is ~ 0.9ha or about 2.3 acres.

1645814576705.png

Ryding Avenue east of Cobalt Avenue has to be one of the ugliest streets in the city. There's a really shabby stretch of road with a roadway that basically looks abandoned by the city. The industrial buildings are shabby. I know that local residents complain of truck drivers cutting through their residential streets.

It kind of feels like everyone involved in the area assumes that the industrial uses are finished and are just trying to make a bit more money before redeveloping. Even the city seems to collect a lot more tax revenue than it spends on the area. The roads look like they haven't been redone in decades.

This area made a lot of sense for industry and manufacturing when manufacturing needed trains. Every plant had rail connections, and they had easy access to both the CN and CP mainlines from the Stockyards. Now, though, it's awkwardly marooned between a residential area and a commercial area that's been rezoned for mixed-use Avenues-style development. None of the plants use the railway anymore.

It makes a lot of sense in my opinion to allow the rezoning. I also believe that the Maple Leaf Foods plant to the south is supposed to close, since they're consolidating their plants into one large new plant in London.

Back