News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

102 Portland (Gusto Restaurant)

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a true urban success story. This was an auto repair shop that looked like this:

20091123-gusto.jpg

and through an extensive renovation (they dug a lower level which contains an event space) have further propelled Portland Street into a newer version of Ossington but from scratch. Apparently this Italianish resto will be open next week and will have a second floor patio in warmer weather.

IMG1728-L.jpg

IMG1730-L.jpg

IMG1732-L.jpg

IMG1735-L.jpg

That renovation is very nice. The interior is sharply executed, while the exterior is a rather unremarkabl to the passing eye (at least judging from the picture). If you were familiar with the shop from before the renovation then you would notice the change. I like the rusted steel on the outside as a bit of homage to the previous (light)industrial use. And with that there would have been some environmental work done to clear out possible contaminates in the soil from the former auto shop. It also looks like they had the hydro pole relocated and replaced. I wonder if they had to because of the basement expansion? It will be nice to see it in the summer when the patio is open and adding some animation to the site and laneway.

I'll take one of these over ten Eau du Soleil's.

Do the owners plan on leaving the graffiti, on the side of the building and the two toned brick on the facade? If so, it looks pretty sketchy.

I just wish they opened already. They have been cooking in there for a few weeks now! With no reservations, this place is going to be hot hot hot if the food is good.

love it!!! spent many a nights at devils martini followed by a hot dog from the vendor that was always set up right in front of the mechanic shop. What an amazing addition to the neighbourhood and definitely worth a visit!

It is a welcome addition to the area, but damn did it take forever for them to dig and ultimately construct. I walked by this place for a year and half, pretty much every day and all you could see was a little front-end loader sitting in the mud of the basement-no movement nothing! Great to see it will finally be open.

It was filled with diners tonight. Don't know if they are actually open or if there was some sort of test-run taking place.

Back