News   Jul 11, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 447     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 667     0 

1001 bay street cladding?

I have always liked the exterior concept of this building. Agreed that it didn't come off just perfectly, but just think how bad this thing would look if it was all in the grey-black, or all in pink for that matter. I am not comprehending the hate-on that some have for this building. In fact, I think it's pretty cool that someone has managed to work a bit of a surprise into our visual fabric.

Off on a tangent perhaps, but I am getting annoyed at the lack of variety with respect to colour, in Toronto's new collection of structures. Everything seems to be a dark grey-black with perhaps a hint of blue. I would appreciate some architects who are capable of ushering in some different colours, just for starters. An interplay of different materials, combined with glass, on some new exteriors, would also be welcomed.

See the 592 Sherbourne thread in P&C, hopefully this will be a breakthrough building and we'll start seeing more ambitious designs like this if it gets approved

1001 Bay underwent a major interior renovations in the first half of 2012. All hallways and elevator lobbies were renovated. If I remember correctly, the main lobby was renovated in mid 2000's as well. Pretty well-kept building.

Pink was such a fashionable 80's colour and can be found on quite a few glass buidings from that era in the city. So yep this was by design and has not aged well at all. Thank god the whole thing wasnt clad in pink!

I think a design like this was "not aged well" from the time of completion. And frankly, the whole thing looks like what some Borat Kazakhstani (not Bazis) investor might have come up with a quarter century ago--I mean, probably the most blatantly greasy-ladies-man comical condo of its day in Toronto.

By comparison, the Polo Club twins to the north are *plausible* 80s PoMo-condo cliches.

This would have been a handsome 80's condo if they had stuck with the blue cladding across the entire thing, but the pink throws it from good looking to one of the worst in the city. Reminds me of vancouvers one wall centre, where the cladding changes colour halfway up.

I used to live @ 1001 Bay.

Never found it to be particularly ugly. The way that the sun would reflect off the two tones was generally pleasing to look at with the cloud formations clearly visible etc.

To each their own I suppose

I'm with you. It's one of the few buildings on Bay that's visually interesting. 90% of the rest is a monotonous bore.

I'm with you. It's one of the few buildings on Bay that's visually interesting. 90% of the rest is a monotonous bore.

Though arguably a comparatively "good-mannered" monotonous bore, in a Bryan Adams/Nickelback way. 1001 Bay is more of a Gangnam-style goofy pidgin punchline.

From an article in NOW on the 10 ugliest buildings in Toronto:

1001 BAY, condominiums by architect Hershel Okun and others. Perhaps the worst on a very bad stretch of Bay. Acres of glass, some apparently random sections of it tinted pink -- another attempt to redeem a colour whose use should not extend beyond hair colour and flowers.

Metal bits the colour of a bruise don’t help, either. Awkward joints and corners everywhere; cheap detailing, particularly at street level. Big enough to break your heart.

Okun says the building we see is not what he had in mind. "The client elected to hire a consultant who is also an architect and made extensive changes to my original design."

Asked whether he’s pleased with the changes, Okun will only say, "It’s not my design."

https://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=123991

This would have been a handsome 80's condo if they had stuck with the blue cladding across the entire thing, but the pink throws it from good looking to one of the worst in the city. Reminds me of vancouvers one wall centre, where the cladding changes colour halfway up.

There are fogging/condensation issues in the residential units in One Wall Centre and the glass will be replaced. I've heard that the black glass will be used all the way to the top, though I cannot confirm it. I am hoping the rumour is true.

EDIT: The dark glass was approved by Council./

Last edited:

Back