Toronto 10 Ordnance Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | DTAH

toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications

10 ORDNANCE ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 230482 STE 19 OZ Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Aug 16, 2012 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Jul 8, 2010 6:30 Blue Barracks, Fort York --- Rees, Thomas
416-392-0758
Rezoning to permit a mixed use development comprising two mixed-use buildings (Phase 2 Blocks 1 and 3) with three towers with overall tower heights of 49 storeys (Tower 1), 29 storeys (Tower 5) and 23 storeys (Tower 4). All buildings have ground floor commercial uses and a combined total of 1,109 residential units.

The above OPA/ Rezoning notice is something that we are discussing in this thread for 30 Ordinance Street, despite the fact that it is showing a 10 Ordinance Street address. This thread should continue to be used for the park proposed for the site.

Yeah OK, since we are talking of a park here, i thought i would resurrect the Solaris post from the other thread (April/2010) which clearly shows a map and details of the proposal........This will be nice plot of greenspace, especially if it includes the pedestrian bridge:cool:

Ordnance_op.jpg

Proposal

The Official Plan Amendment application proposes to amend the Garrison Common North Secondary Plan to add an additional Site and Area Specific Policy that would apply to the subject lands.

The proposed Site and Area Specific Policy would apply to the triangular piece of land east of Strachan Avenue, between the GO Transit Georgetown rail corridor and the CNR and GO Transit Lakeshore rail corridors (the subject lands). The proposed policy would encourage development of a public park on the eastern portion of the lands (10 Ordnance Street) and introduce residential and mixed use permissions for the remainder of the area (11, 25 and 30 Ordnance Street, 45 Strachan Avenue).

The applicants have indicated they intend to redevelop 30 Ordnance Street with two high rise residential towers that would share a common podium that would accommodate a mix of uses, however, there is no specific development proposal submitted for review as part of this application for an Official Plan Amendment.​

There's all this hearsay about the area around the abattoir smelling badly from blocks away... and yet I honestly don't remember this area smelling particularly badly when walking through it.

I smell it once in a while on Queens Quay to the east, but generally I don't think it's bad and I think it has gotten better this year.
What is really bad is garbage collection day in the summer and City of Toronto sidewalk trash cans that wreak of old dank urine -- and that happens over most of Toronto.

Being a resident of King and Strachan for about a year now, I can attest to the occasional smell. It's not always there, but you know when it is. Sometimes I think it's from the police horses down by the CNE, and for a while I thought it was coming from the 2 storey high pile of manure that was on that city lot on the south side of Wellington, across from Stanley Park, but that's long gone and the smell is still around a few times a week.

So yes, there is a bit of a smell coming from the slaughterhouse. But in my opinion, the main downfall to the hood is the homes first society building at Wellington and Strachan. It's a huge eyesore and on occasion the homeless/transitional people it serves can be a little overbearing.

Here's hoping the extension of Stanley Park below Wellington becomes a reality, as well as the pedestrian bridge to Fort York. Once elimination of the level crossing is done the area will be a lot better, along with the proposed traffic light at East Liberty and Strachan, and the new street also proposed for the very bottom of Liberty Village, right before the Lake Shore GO tracks. I'd also like a DRL to run somewhere near the area, as well as for the proposed condos on Ordnance St to be shelved...is that too much to ask Santa Claus? lol.

Here's hoping the extension of Stanley Park below Wellington becomes a reality, as well as the pedestrian bridge to Fort York. Once elimination of the level crossing is done the area will be a lot better, along with the proposed traffic light at East Liberty and Strachan, and the new street also proposed for the very bottom of Liberty Village, right before the Lake Shore GO tracks. I'd also like a DRL to run somewhere near the area, as well as for the proposed condos on Ordnance St to be shelved...is that too much to ask Santa Claus? lol.

The park connection to Ft York will be great - it has to happen and I think it will.

Another great thing for this area is the ( http://railpath.wordpress.com/ ) extension which will go all the way to Union Station and beyond, eventually, and all the up to St. Clair. (Dundas to St. Clair is already complete)

But in my opinion, the main downfall to the hood is the homes first society building at Wellington and Strachan. It's a huge eyesore and on occasion the homeless/transitional people it serves can be a little overbearing.

But its a good looking building no ! ?

But its a good looking building no ! ?

I'll admit it does have good bones and a ton of potential. But its not in the best shape, quite dirty looking with a bunch of dumpsters in front of it. The hideous pink paintjob they gave didn't help either. The south side is still the original brick, with remnants of whatever company's signage used to be there and I think that looks much better. A sandblasting and a little upgrade could do wonders for it.

I'll admit it does have good bones and a ton of potential. But its not in the best shape, quite dirty looking with a bunch of dumpsters in front of it. The hideous pink paintjob they gave didn't help either. The south side is still the original brick, with remnants of whatever company's signage used to be there and I think that looks much better. A sandblasting and a little upgrade could do wonders for it.

Homes First is moving and I believe the building is going to be demolished. That's TO!

Bad news.

Bid Award Panel is set to give the job to DTAH.

1675437726550.png

Not that they're terrible; but they're not overly original in such things..........

And one of the losing bidders was CCxA

Parks really has to get away from doing the bid process for key sites this way.

Design competition first. (Do set a budget range publicly)

Then award the contract.

The idea of lowest-bidder for signature parks sites is just wrong.

Back