News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mike in TO's photo, which shows 1 St Thomas and 10 Bellair ( by Burka Varacalli, who did nicely in our "Toronto's Least Accomplished Architectural Firm" poll ) looking like two slightly mismatched peas in a pod.

But it inevitably invites comparisons too. Which of them is the "best of the worst"? 10 Bellair isn't a historicist pastiche but an attempt to take a style from the past and do something interesting with it, so I'd give them the nod even though what they do is rather clumsy.

10 Bellair: 7 out of 10 for effort, blue star.
1 St Thomas: 4 out of 10 for tracing, stand in the corner facing the wall.

And note, in the latter shot, the more blatantly "retro" tower to the left...

Good catch adma! That building was designed by Philip Johnson in 1986 - and it is one of his least-inspired creations. Architecture critics in Chicago have often used this building as target practice: noting his over-the-top faux-gothic looks, with wrought iron fence on the ridge of its rooftop.

And it was the height of fashion when it was built. As someone who craves fashionabiltity, if you were an architect, and in Chicago, 20 years ago, you'd have raved about it.

I thought I'd add that this was Philip Johnson's only building in Chicago, and it is usually classified under post-modern.

Architects of the time that liked post-modern championed this, and modernist architects did not. Much like you would expect. So there was no uniform reaction, no crossover, but divided along the line that persists into the present. The design was questioned from the start by local critics however, with only minor disagreements about how bad it was. People are constantly polled on the building and they appear to be divided to this day, but leaning toward liking it.

Johnson dabbled in all kinds of design styles, and he particularly adapted well to modernist work when he dabbled in it too. One example of a great modernist work that he was involved: his collaboration with Mies van der Rohe in creating the Seagram Building in NYC. This skyscraper in Chicago is a bit more checkered than that, and in retrospect, not in the same league.

Architects of the time that liked post-modern championed this, and modernist architects did not. Much like you would expect. So there was no uniform reaction, no crossover, but divided along the line that persists into the present.
Nevertheless, I feel the line was blurrier then--perhaps in the spirit of Robert Venturi's "both-and" as opposed to "either-or". That is, there was a giddy thrill behind how the Postmodern spirit opened up the floodgates to practically everything in sight. It wasn't like you were on "one" side or the "other"; it was more like a fascinating moment of anything-goes.

What really ushered in the era of the "sharp line", I guess, was Prince Charles' anti-carbuncle crusade in Britain...

Back to Toronto: noticed--across the street from the hated(?) One St Tom's that 77 Charles West showroom was undergoing a major renovation--wonder what's up? Is the thing sold out?

Noticed: that 1 St Thomas area may be the best condo location in greater Yorkville. Noticed: that 1 St Tomboy's driveway is nearing completion and looking rather Bentley-ish.

Now what am I getting at? That Charles St W may be the next Hazelton Ave!

Nevertheless, I feel the line was blurrier then--perhaps in the spirit of Robert Venturi's "both-and" as opposed to "either-or". That is, there was a giddy thrill behind how the Postmodern spirit opened up the floodgates to practically everything in sight. It wasn't like you were on "one" side or the "other"; it was more like a fascinating moment of anything-goes.

What really ushered in the era of the "sharp line", I guess, was Prince Charles' anti-carbuncle crusade in Britain...

PLEASE NOTE: Apologies for taking time and space to deal with what many of you undoubtedly will view as side issues, because I believe that they do have profound bearing on understanding some of that mixed reaction to Stern and his work. Johnson once referred to Stern, among others, as one of "... my kids," and what relates to Johnson here touches on Stern and One St. Thomas. Johnson and Stern did post-modern, albeit the latter is more identified with it. Both went on to something else, Stern more of a historical recreation of sorts. And both learned how to navigate the admittedly prickly landscape of architects, although it took Stern much longer, and carried with it a very negative residual effect. Finally, this touches lightly on how perceptions may be formed, by contrasting the reaction of a city steeped in modernist work, Chicago, versus a city that is less so, Toronto.
_______________​
It's a great deal more complex than that for the "sharp line," or just "lines," that exists for this building. This board is obviously not a good place to get into this in detail, but I'll give you my thumbnail version, knowing full well that it will exclude much, and obviously there are other equally valid takes.

First. There is a difference between post-modern in Canada and post-modern in the US as to architectural divisions and timeline. Then there is a difference between Chicago's reaction to post-modern and other cities in the US, especially out west.

In reverse order, Chicago was never a hotbed to post-modern. That's largely the result of the influence of Mies van der Rohe and a bevy of his students that went on to become influential architects in Chicago, and the role of the modernist populariser being based in Chicago, Skid-row Owe-'em and Muddle, when the post-modern era unfolded. But, like any other city, high-profile architects like Johnson, attract clients regardless of style, so his post-modern venture was one of the few exceptions you will see in Chicago.

Across the US, the lines were drawn as far back as the 1970s, as I have stated elsewhere, but these lines while evident in the early 1980s, the rhetoric that accompanied them became more muted. By the time that modernist architecture began to re-take the upper position that it once held in the 1960s, now transposed to late 1980s, the lines were still firmly there but the conflict was transparent and maybe thought to be non-existent to the larger public.

Canada's post-modern ventures were parallel, slightly more delayed, but never as politically charged as in the US, even when the lines belatedly surfaced. In addition, the outward manifestations of post-modernism were never as bizarre as they were in the US. You need only look to the so-called "sunbelt states," meaning Southern and Western US, to sample some of the more unusual concoctions of the post-modern style. Some of these buildings were applauded, others received inflamed reactions, notable even if compared to any other period's reaction to controversial skyscraper architecture. Calgary and Vancouver may seem similar to some of us on this board, but not to the same level nor to the same extent.

Can't argue with your Prince Charles reference, with Toronto particularly relevant for obvious reasons, but this type of politic had less to do with the internal one of architects than with the commissions that were influenced.

Second. With all due respect, quoting Venturi is very misleading.

Venturi never drew sharp lines in the first place. Stern cited Venturi in defence of his post-modernist position, as did others that identified with post-modern, because Venturi was respected on both sides. Ultimately, Venturi's works and his musings belong to that of a precursor and enabler to post-modern rather than a hardcore advocate. Venturi's academic equivalent was Vincent Scully. Stern, on the other hand, while knowing both Venturi and Scully, was initially more hardcore.

From the other direction, some of that "everything goes" for post-modernism is revisionist history. I have no doubt that you've read it, but the facts tend to dispute it, especially when post-modern began and there was a tonne of outright shouting at symposia and forums that were held throughout the US. True, modernists of the Bauhaus line had very narrow definitions of what a building should be, and what materials should be used in construction. But then there were also the Neo-Constructivists, the Neo-Brutalists, and the geometrics of Mid-Century moderne, etc, etc. All of these were modernists as well, under the post-modernist definition, and expressing very different designs, use of glass, and interpretation of form. It is a myth that the so-called modernist group did not offer a number of alternatives, but it is not a myth that post-modernist work tended to look back in time for historical references and stylings to inform their work. This is why I use the words "lines" when I refer to a group that got their collective name from the group which opposed them.

Third. Johnson often didn't get the most stark form of the sharp line for a very interesting set of reasons.

Johnson was not a firm anything, and he was dabbling in post-modern when the Chicago commission came. Johnson was one of those types of architects who could do great work and mediocre, but was always above the fray. This is due in part to his networking skills, and in part to his aid to the careers of so many architects, regardless of their archi-political affiliation. While this building was not one of his great works, and I'll spare you the details as to why, the architects that unmistakingly divided along the lines that I suggest, did so with unusual respect shown toward Johnson, the man.

But divide they did when this building arrived on the scene.

"Back to Toronto: noticed--across the street from the hated(?) One St Tom's"

Well, "hate" is a passionate word. But, I'll admit Urban Shocker's relentless campaign against this building has diminished the joy I once experienced walking by and observing this (to me) unique building.

But, then I think back to my attendance at a Leaf game years ago when this nobody in the crowd a few rows behind me repeatedly yelled "Gretsky! You're a bum!!" Admitedly, Gretsky was in the twilight of his career and the heckler may not have liked his style of play or his image - but few would agree Gretsky was one of the bums on the ice, although there were several other such players. But, everyone understood why Wayne- and only Wayne - was attracting the abuse.

Perhaps a few fans went on to speculate on what motivated the heckler?

"..But, I'll admit Urban Shocker's relentless campaign against this building has diminished the joy I once experienced walking by and observing this (to me) unique building."

Why? I fully appreciate everything Stern represented here- it's another mark in his development as one of NA's most preeminent architects. St. Thomas sits very well with me in this regard. Again, it is no less a unique building than CondoX, indeed I believe it probably has more creative merit.

Johnson did much more than "dabble" in post-modernism. He and John Burgee were at the forefront of post modern architecture. Johnson was the poster boy for it - having appeared on the cover of Time magainze with the AT&T building.

And as for their being few post modern buildings in Chicago - anyone who has ever taken boat along the river or walked up Michigan avenue can tell you that that is completely untrue.

Johnson was a great advocate of many fashions in architecture - Modernism (with the Glass House, not to mention having coined the term International Style while he was curator at MoMA), Post-modernism (with AT&T and the other buildings he designed with Burgee), Deconstructivism (Da Monsta, his homage to Frank Stella, and locally, the CBC building, on which he consulted).

Among Johnson's great skills was the ability to assimilate and popularize architectural ideas - and because of his ability he was able to move beyond being a dilettane and became a professional. An ability beyond Zepher and his fondness for the faddish.

Zephyr points out that Canada's post-Modernism wasn't as bizarre as elsewhere, and we got it later - as indeed we did with Modernism. I think of it primarily as an auteur-led reaction based on style, rather than the broadly-based artistic/political/ innovative social force that Modernism was, and I think that it had already crested as an influence just as designers here were tempted by it. I also wonder if our kinder, gentler Modernist post-WW2 style was more hegemonic than the equivalent Modernism in the States, and less easily nudged aside by a new, glitzy, high-fashion trend? Also, do we have the temperament to run with a style that is more suited to a U.S. type star system composed of strongly individualistic designers, rather than the quieter more context-driven local approach. Thus, did we have the architectural equivalents of Johnson and Stern to push the style here, north of the border?

Minor point: Skidmore Owings and Merrill.

The next time I go down the Chicago river, I'll ask for the fantasy tour. My tour guide will be one of those people that scan popular magazines, and make great note of cover art, for their lessons on cutting-edge architecture. And then I will throw out everything that I had ever read, know about, or experienced, because it's just too out of fashion. In my final phase, I'll re-label fantasy to reality and meditate on what I missed.

I have to remember that Johnson did more than dabble - he popularised and was a non-faddish professional - oh yes, he apppeared on a magazine that pictures himself next to the AT&T Building in Chicago, and we know what that means, this must be a masterwork, popular on all counts. Usually people who know Johnson's postmodern, point to Houston or Pittsburgh, not Chicago, but what do I know. Last time I checked, Johnson more frequently collaborated on many of his more recognized works, and that collaboration oftentimes, not always, did not include designing at all, but more administrative functions, especially client interfacing and assembling a team of component designers. But you know, that is what I was led to believe in a prior life of non-enlightenment.

Did he really lead the postmodern movement? I thought he came in the backdoor and did both good and controversial work, then immediately turned on that movement with great force a few years later. But wait a minute, he came back and re-assessed his position, then left again. Of course, the fact that this is on record doesn't make it so - now does it? I quote from that known hater of architects like Johnson, Great Buildings Online / ArchitectureWeekly, which posted this update after his death:

"As an architect, Johnson is most widely respected for his work in the early 1950s while still under the influence of Mies Van Der Rohe. However, he altered his architectural principles from Modernist to Post-Modernist to anti-Post Modernist at will. This has led to the criticism that he showed more interest in style than in substance. He will probably be remembered more as a stimulator of ideas than as a designer." *​

By the way, I thought the International Style was a collection of design styles, not a style. Somewhat akin to the post-modernist tag of modernist style, when there were several modernist styles underneath. Johnson himself admitted this error in his declining years, but you can't trust anything said at that time of your life.

And let's not forget, Chicago really is a hotbed for postmodern, especially on the Chicago River. And that information comes from no less than those informative riverboat tours, so I know it's inviolable. But which buildings along the river would qualify? I have walked across those bascule bridges looking at skyscrapers before I lived in Chicago, and now when I am there I feel that I know them well, but I must be missing the postmodern examples on a massive scale. Perhaps I need a better understanding that comes from an informed tour such as the one I am waiting to take place.

While there certainly are postmodern buildings along the Chicago River, there's no agreement on the definition of "few." That's one of the great things about Chicago boat tours (some of which are given by architecture students) - you pass by such variety, an "It's A Small World" of architectural fads.

Please do us a favour, since two of you insist there are post-modernists buildings all along the river in downtown Chicago, in your next post(s), preferably as a footnote to a customary post here, name say five of them, so I know what qualifies in your estimation, or someone you trust, as post-modern.

I have a map, and a pretty good memory of what is there now, since I go to an office just off the river on a regular basis when I am in Chicago. I will use your information to determine what may or may not fit, and post my result, also in a footnote (with a location to find the detailed tally elsewhere).

Given your certainty, I don't believe this will be a difficult task for either or both you to muster in the near term. I must confess, if I were given this same task, it would be difficult for me to do the same.

Back