News   Jun 06, 2024
 392     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 480     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 452     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have some real creative people in this town but dont know why we cant create a real GEM.

I bloor is another of those fugly tower.:(

NYC and chicago way above TO.

I don't think 1 Bloor is ugly at all. I think it's actually quite a nice project.

Toronto is getting some creative stuff, like the L Tower. Things are improving in this city...and I only see things continuing to improve.

I too agree that this project has the potential to be quite decent (execution and details are key).

I don't think 1 Bloor is ugly at all. I think it's actually quite a nice project.

Toronto is getting some creative stuff, like the L Tower. Things are improving in this city...and I only see things continuing to improve.

That's one or two buildings out of dozens that are going up. Toronto is wasting precious opportunities. We should be holding international competitions for all new buildings.

Urban Toronto =

istockphoto_3166008_cold_shower.jpg

We have some real creative people in this town but dont know why we cant create a real GEM.

I bloor is another of those fugly tower.:(

NYC and chicago way above TO.

Can you post some pics of recent projects in NYC and Chicago that blow Toronto's recent projects out of the water? I get the Sunday New York Times, and the magazine is crammed full of condo ads for Manhattan projects - judging by the renderings of these projects, they're not doing anything more interesting than T.O.

That's only one or two projects out of dozens in those cities. You could post a pic of Libeskind's tower atop the Sony Centre but that wouldn't be representative of everything happening in T.O. Take a look at the renderings in the NYT of the many new projects going up in Brooklyn and Manhattan - they are neither better nor worse than what's going up here.

Yes, but those are two out of hundreds of buildings. I was in Chicago last weekend, and before that in June, and trust me, all the new apartment buildings there are just as banal as all the new apartment buildings here.

from today's National Post....by this article, the building will be 278 metres high....also, from comments here, and by the mayor at the launch, I think they will get approval for whatever height they want.....

The developers of a condo tower at One Bloor Street East may well have provoked a near-riot this week among real estate agents when they began selling the condos, but it turns out they do not have anything approaching city approval for the project, pictured above.

In fact, Bazis International, the Kazahkstan-based company that owns the land at the southeast corner of Bloor and Yonge streets, only last Friday filed an application for a zoning change and site plan approval for the 80-storey-tower.

One piece of the site, the part closest to the corner, does have existing zoning permitting a 205-metre-high, mixed-use development, says Corwin Cambray, the City of Toronto planner in charge of the application.

The company's new application extends the project to two other addresses, 709 and 711 Yonge Street, and takes away a public lane that runs along the east boundary of those addresses. Plus, Bazis now wants to build a 248-metre high building, with an additional 20 metres for a "mechanicals penthouse" and 10 metres more for eight "architectural fins." In layman's terms, Bazis is now asking the city to let it build something about 250 feet higher than that for which it has permission.

"We've had a number of meetings with them over a number of months," Mr. Cambray said. "The heights and all that are in line with what we are supporting."

That's one or two buildings out of dozens that are going up.

You could say the same for NYC or Chicago.

Toronto is wasting precious opportunities. We should be holding international competitions for all new buildings.

You should talk to the developers about that.

Toronto is not NYC nor is it Chicago. Things, however are really improving. I remember not too long ago just the Four Seasons project would cause a major stir...now it's just one of many large projects, including some well designed ones.

One could pick and choose projects like the L Tower and argue that Toronto is really taking it to another level...unfortunately it doesn't really reflect the overall quality of design in the vast majority of new residential buildings. The same is true of NYC and Chicago.

Yes, but those are two out of hundreds of buildings. I was in Chicago last weekend, and before that in June, and trust me, all the new apartment buildings there are just as banal as all the new apartment buildings here.

They at least have dozens upon dozens of old beauties. Toronto doesn't. Toronto looks as though it was founded in the 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back