News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The base looks pretty good, or at least, much better than the previous version. This building will give the area a massive jolt and will be easily visible from as far as Yonge and Dundas.

I like the design vocabulary of the new podium, but there is something not quite right about the positioning of all the elements (i.e. hotel mid-rise; tower, etc). I would have preferred to see the mid-rise portion right against either Yonge or Bloor, with the tower positioned at the SE corner of the site - leaving bounded podium space.

Andrew3D:

"We have created something unique. In fact there just aren't architectural terms to describe some of the innovations we are introducing."

Statements like these makes me want to squirm after squinting.

AoD

Here I go again... Google Earth model.

Link to model

1be_ev.jpg

1beba2.jpg

The Evolution of a major Toronto skyscraper during design phase:

1. Curvy, sexy tower with prominent roof element.
2. Less curvy, less sexy tower with modest roof element.
3. No curves, interesting variation of box with roof element.
4. Slight variation of box with roof element.
5 Slight variation of box.
6. Box.

Repeat.

So, it's kinda like promising this
jessica_rabbit.gif

and delivering this
family-guy-meg-griffin6.jpg

That ain't Ionic. It ain't got no volutes. (And I sure hope 1 Bloor E doesn't pick up a few volutes along the way...)

It looks like the podium is looking much better (thinking that someone would open a 5-star hotel in that shopping-mall-looking podium of the previous rendering is beyond me).
It seems like no one here seems to be impressed with the spire. So taking 3Dementia's lead I decided to play architect too and re-design it.

1472348201_1db2c3b1b4.jpg
1472399605_344911407f.jpg

Maybe it just needs a little simplification. Why the 5 fins anyways? Wouldn't just 1 fit in with the whole address theme as well?
Some tell Bazis for me, would ya?

I like the spire. A well designed, dramatic rooftop element topping off a highrise draws attention (I'm in the minority of liking the "hat" on Casa too) but it's the loss of the curves on the east and west sides which disappoint me. The retail podium is a huge improvement! Much classier and more glamorous which fits better given it's east Yorkville location. Shame about that Bay bunker across the street.

I was reading about the balcony concept in Condo Guide this morning on the subway and in principle, I really like that alteration and the concept. All said, this is turning out to be a very interesting project. I'm sure much will be written about 1BE here in the next couple of years!

Those renderings never ever ever ever have anything to do with what's going to go in the base of the buildings. It would be a very odd retailer indeed that would sign a lease for space that won't be available for another three years at least - they generally need to be able to respond more quickly than that to market forces.

Actually retailers often sign deals that far in advance. Sometimes it takes that long for a site to get municipal approvals - think OMB. Some sites are just worth waiting for.

Thanks for pointing out the TD though.

Why the 5 fins anyways? Wouldn't just 1 fit in with the whole address theme as well? Some tell Bazis for me, would ya?

Careful what you wish for. Clawing back the roof element now will send us down the slippery slope to no roof element. Please see my previous post regarding this troubling phenomena.

Careful what you wish for. Clawing back the roof element now will send us down the slippery slope to no roof element. Please see my previous post regarding this troubling phenomena.

Indeed. Reference the Pantages Hotel & Condominium on Shuter Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back