News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 349     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In principle, the lowered building height does actually sound plausible. I suspect banks, given the specific risks involved, would only finance a project like 1 Bloor if nearly 100% of units were sold.

The way I see it, there's two likely scenario's:

(1) From what I've been told, only a small handful of units (3-4) above the 68th floor were actually sold (at $2,500/sqft it was always a tough sell). This left almost 15% of the building space unsold and bank lenders very nervous (given the weak economy and now HST). Thus, to get financing, simply cut out these floors and boost building space sold to near 100%.

(2) Perhaps Bazis has given up trying to sell the hotel component. I think the hotel was meant to be 7+ floors representing 10%+ of total building space. Simply cutting out the "hotel" floors could boost total sales closer to 100% which lenders have demanded.

What do you all think?

When this clipping rumour started today I thought of the hotel component being eliminated too. So many hotels are being built, and not enough tourism in this economy.
I just want to see this drama end. Build the stupid thing or sell it off and redevelop it properly and professionally in a few years when (hopefully) the economy has improved. Tridel? Great Gulft?.....

When this clipping rumour started today I thought of the hotel component being eliminated too. So many hotels are being built, and not enough tourism in this economy.
I just want to see this drama end. Build the stupid thing or sell it off and redevelop it properly and professionally in a few years when (hopefully) the economy has improved. Tridel? Great Gulft?.....

I completely agree. I can only imagine how great this building could have been with a great builder like GGH or Tridel. I feel like it has lost it's true potential if indeed it is being cut by 10+ floors. Same letdown as Trump.

I completely agree. I can only imagine how great this building could have been with a great builder like GGH or Tridel. I feel like it has lost it's true potential if indeed it is being cut by 10+ floors. Same letdown as Trump.

Really ...

Because Tridel is known for putting up beautiful buildings right? ;)

today is 1BE's big day ~

IMO .... Tridel puts up solid reputable buildings in the City, and they certainly win design awards in several projects too (sure they're not ALL architectural landmarks, but do they ALL have to be ??) .... I would much rather see Tridel or GGH take over this site than Daniels / Cresford / Conservatory

Should be amusing to watch the thread grow and grow in the absence of any real news.

Maybe we should have a poll entitled “what do you think the verdict is on 1BE?”

1) Built as planned
2) Built with significant reduction in height
3) Not built at all
4) No news from Bazis today
5) 1BE named latest temporary garbage dump

today is 1BE's big day ~

IMO .... Tridel puts up solid reputable buildings in the City, and they certainly win design awards in several projects too (sure they're not ALL architectural landmarks, but do they ALL have to be ??) .... I would much rather see Tridel or GGH take over this site than Daniels / Cresford / Conservatory

AMEN! but i rather have Great Gulf Home than Tridel take over...really love their designs.

hahah...had a good laugh about converting to temp dump site. Maybe they should start excavation early so it can take in more garbage (e.g., Landfill) :D

Really ...

Because Tridel is known for putting up beautiful buildings right? ;)

Tridel is a solid, quality builder and their condo projects are getting better, see James Cooper Mansion (not bad) and 300 Front.
Perhaps a new developer could hold a competition for an iconic building with a truly dynamic podium at this important intersection. Sell this a little above the downtown market average (premium for higher levels of course) and success.

Solaris, what are you going to change your signature to if that's the case?:eek:

I'll probably keep my signature until something concrete materialises, just to remind us all of Bazis' deeds at 1 Bloor ;)

Well, if it's number 4 for today, then that means that it's number 1 or maybe a modified number 2 going forward, as section 31(b) of the agreement posted by Tomms in post #3904 states that if the Vendor (Bazis, I take it) hasn't issued a notice by the 31st day, then it has waived the condition and they are on the hook to build something. Any contrary interpretations out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back