News   May 03, 2024
 332     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 407     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 846     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What would you have them do? Keep the station called that as an advertisement for a destination that no longer exists?
Sure. While a historical place name, in recent memories Castle Frank was associated with Castle Frank high school. It’s now Rosedale Heights school, with the Castle Frank subway station seemingly referring to nothing. But we keep the name because it’s referring to a part of Toronto’s history, same as Black Creek Pioneer Village.

And to me, it will always be Black Creek Pioneer Village. It’s a recreation of an early pioneer settlement. Take away the pioneers and you have no village.

Shifting topics, in the course of my transiting, and ~7km walk today, I saw a couple of instances of TTC Maintenance..... that.....well..... are problematic.

First, lets talk about the Cumberland/Village of Yorkville Park exit to Bay Station:

DSC03368.jpg

If I really do not understand how we ended up with ground that was a bit red, and a bit white, to no good effect (it was all white before)............... I'm even more baffled by 2 replacement tiles in the middle of an all Aqua-toned wall being stark white.

Pretty please, someone tell me how this ends up being the case?

Bloor-Yorkville BIA needs to take over this entrance for the TTC and maintain themselves, maybe for a fee to TTC.

Moving on.............. So my journey today included Main Subway Station, as I'm looking at a brick wall on which I saw work being done, from the bus platform..........I thought..........really? This is how we address cracked or spalling brick?

DSC03538a.jpg

I sincerely hope they intend to come back, pull the replacement bricks out, apply mortar, and reinsert the bricks on a vaguely level basis.

But given the first image.......I'm not entirely convinced.

Shifting topics, in the course of my transiting, and ~7km walk today, I saw a couple of instances of TTC Maintenance..... that.....well..... are problematic.

First, lets talk about the Cumberland/Village of Yorkville Park exit to Bay Station:

View attachment 558448

If I really do not understand how we ended up with ground that was a bit red, and a bit white, to no good effect (it was all white before)............... I'm even more baffled by 2 replacement tiles in the middle of an all Aqua-toned wall being stark white.

Bloor-Yorkville BIA needs to take over this entrance for the TTC and maintain themselves, maybe for a fee to TTC.

Moving on.............. So my journey today included Main Subway Station, as I'm looking at a brick wall on which I saw work being done, from the bus platform..........I thought..........really? This is how we address cracked or spalling brick?

View attachment 558456

I sincerely hope they intend to come back, pull the replacement bricks out, apply mortar, and reinsert the bricks on a vaguely level basis.

As much as I'd like to respond 'old man yells at tv'... I always complain (in my head) about similar.

Re #1 Could it be from graffiti that doesn't come off the porous grout?

View attachment 558448

View attachment 558456

You should be grateful they didn't patch it with asphalt

Well, if the TTC were smart (which they're not), they would've called the station Steeles West to begin with. They're not, so they didn't, so now they find themselves in this unenviable position. You want to talk about confusing people, how does it not confuse people to point to a "pioneer village" when no such attraction by that name exists? For a while it would've coasted off old-name-inertia, but eventually the generations would've cycled through and people would have moved in and moved away and suddenly you get a ton of people who never experienced Pioneer Village being a current name.

It's not about whether the word should've kept being used or not - you can direct your comments to the actual pioneer village. The fact of the matter is that the TTC, in their infinite wisdom, named the station for a landmark, so if the landmark gets renamed, they need to follow suit. If Yorkdale or Scarborough Town centre or York University were renamed it would be equally necessary to rename those stations too. Where is the value in keeping a station named for a landmark which has changed its name?
I would definitely take this as an opportunity to name the station what it should have been named to begin with, Steeles West, just as you say. To me, any other name would be unsatisfactory. "The Village at Black Creek" would be a monstrosity of a name worse than "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre".

View attachment 558448

View attachment 558456

I agree that the 2 white tiles are wrong but suspect the coloured grout is someone coulouring white grout with a pen - it appears that the colouring is all at arms reach. Vandalism maybe? The brick wall is clearly being rebuilt - if the bricks have been like that for weeks then someone HAS forgotten to return but ...

I agree that the 2 white tiles are wrong but suspect the coloured grout is someone coulouring white grout with a pen - it appears that the colouring is all at arms reach. Vandalism maybe?

Possibly, don't know how long its been like that, but it really ought to be washed off if feasible, and if not, a fresh schmear of white grout over the top and rinse.

The brick wall is clearly being rebuilt - if the bricks have been like that for weeks then someone HAS forgotten to return but ...

They were working on it yesterday. Seems procedurally odd to me, if you have the replacement brick on hand, not apply fresh mortar before placing the brick...........but w/e.

My cynicism is perhaps informed here by the fact that:

a) This was was partially torn down a number of years back ( reduced in height, and new capping, plus some sections replaced); the mismatched wall has never seemed right to me.

b) The Main Station project for bus platform concrete replacement (done by Sanscon) removed the fences that prevented people from walking onto the but platforms from the street; and put up 'fast fence'........

The project has supposedly been complete more than six months, we still have fast fence.

Possibly, don't know how long its been like that, but it really ought to be washed off if feasible, and if not, a fresh schmear of white grout over the top and rinse.

They were working on it yesterday. Seems procedurally odd to me, if you have the replacement brick on hand, not apply fresh mortar before placing the brick...........but w/e.

My cynicism is perhaps informed here by the fact that:

a) This was was partially torn down a number of years back ( reduced in height, and new capping, plus some sections replaced); the mismatched wall has never seemed right to me.

b) The Main Station project for bus platform concrete replacement (done by Sanscon) removed the fences that prevented people from walking onto the but platforms from the street; and put up 'fast fence'........

The project has supposedly been complete more than six months, we still have fast fence.

That's from power-washing graffiti. That entrance is a constant target and I've seen the BIA's contractors with power-washers clean it regularly during my walks. They clean other street furniture in the area as well on a regular basis.

Referring to nothing to people who don't know the area, perhaps. The station is sandwiched between Castle Frank Road and Castle Frank Crescent, thereby making it an accurate geographical name.
Yes, Castle Frank Road. One of those streets full of four storey towers that Doug Ford thinks shouldn't be built in neighbourhoods.

1713880528295.png

That's from power-washing graffiti. That entrance is a constant target and I've seen the BIA's contractors with power-washers clean it regularly during my walks. They clean other street furniture in the area as well on a regular basis.

So power-washing (presumbably due to a chemical w/in the liquid) tints the grout red?); aside from schmearing new ground over the top, perhaps a sealant?

It'll cost close to $1 million to rename the station if not mor
If that is a remotely accurate figure, that is a) STAGGERING and b) yet another very strong argument for not pointlessly renaming stations and renumbering routes for various misguided political and new urbanist notions.

But is there any instance ever of a rapid transit station anywhere in the world continuing to bear the name of a landmark even after it was renamed or removed? If the station was called Black Creek Village they'd be able to get away with it, but there is no getting around Pioneer Village. Hopefully this will be a lesson to be much smarter about choosing station names.

3rd World mentality at the TTC, through and through. Nobody gives the slightest **** because nobody is held accountable. What's the incentive to do things properly?

So power-washing (presumbably due to a chemical w/in the liquid) tints the grout red?); aside from schmearing new ground over the top, perhaps a sealant?
More likely that someone painted the wall red and the power washing was not as effective on the grout - which tends to be much more absorbent than tile. However, time to move on...

Back