Toronto 931 Yonge | 106m | 33s | CreateTO | Zeidler

This one was at TEYCC today, and adopted (sent to Council with an approval recommendation), apparently with an amendment that is not yet posted.

@HousingNowTO was there to speak in favour.

I would be interested to hear his thoughts on the comments of the local Residents Association.

Perhaps to the surprise of some, they endorsed the size/built form in their correspondence; but suggested that the building should be 100% affordable housing instead of a developer-driven mixed model.

From the above:

1712172323183.png

1712172342416.png

Last edited:
This one was at TEYCC today, and adopted (sent to Council with an approval recommendation), apparently with an amendment that is not yet posted.

@HousingNowTO was there to speak in favour.

I would be interested to hear his thoughts on the comments of the local Residents Association.

Perhaps the surprise of some, they endorsed the size/built form in their correspondence; but suggested that the building should be 100% affordable housing instead of a developer-driven mixed model.

From the above:

View attachment 553361
View attachment 553362
...we often hear - "This should be 100% Affordable Rental housing" as a polite-cover from residents' groups who actually want the site to deliver ZERO (0) units of new affordable rental housing.

It is a obstruction-method known as "killing a project with kindness" -- we cannot say sure if that is the ABCRA's intention on the 931 YONGE STREET site, or if it is just an honest lack of understanding about how Federally funded affordable housing models work in Spring 2024.

Councillor Saxe asked us some questions about ABCRA's letter after our deputation today -- and ABCRA leadership has reached-out to HNTO for a follow-up discussion after today's rezoning APPROVAL at TEYCC.

I love the resident association's logic ... so 1/3rd affordable ownership isn't a sustainable model ... no worries we have the perfect solution for you ... 100% affordable rental ... yes, clearly that is much more sustainable. Killing with kindness indeed.

I love the resident association's logic ... so 1/3rd affordable ownership isn't a sustainable model ... no worries we have the perfect solution for you ... 100% affordable rental ... yes, clearly that is much more sustainable. Killing with kindness indeed.
We cannot speak to the intentions of the RA's logic... so we will choose to read it as Naivety rather than Nastiness.

Some people are "Machiavellian" when it comes to affordable housing...but honestly, most people are just "Passionately Innumerate" on the topic.

Their affordable housing positions & preferences are based on nothing but VIBES... ☮️🕊️☯️💫

To be fair, innumeracy issues aside; I would strongly prefer a purpose-built rental model, to an ownership model.

I'm not sure how this one is structured, but there are usually rules limiting a new owner's ability to flip their unit for fair market value.

That said, the ownership model does expend a lot of resources to provide 'ownership' which, if limited from capitally appreciating is a very peculiar form of wealth redistribution.

Using a similar model for purpose-built rental adds an identical number of suites, as 'affordable rental' at something like $900-$1200 per month depending on unit size, but then also adds twice that in market-based rental which has, I would argue, a more desirable market-effect than does the equivalent in market ownership.

But, that ship has sailed here.

IMO all levels of governments need to fast track all the types of affordable rental units, lower or remove fees for any type of affordable housing. create tax incentives for developers to include a higher percentage of affordable units in new developments. The cities can also fast track development on city properties for geared to income developments. Unfortunately it takes years for shovels to be on the ground after they make their political announcements and that goes for all levels of government.

Back