Toronto 19 Bloor West | 317.4m | 99s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

Not sure about the exterior, I left it as it was:

Toronto Model 04-03-24 19 Bloor W.png

City planning is completely broken for a settlement offer like this to be presented.

60 times lot coverage. It's fair to say that is a global record. I'm pretty sure there is still a continent (south pole excluded) without a 60 storey building. Toronto's proposals are probably all over the global top 20 highest FSI and it's not anything to be admired or ignored. The supertall height or the design without balconies is not important. 2000 poor souls will end up just surviving here if the owners have their way.

1,300 units with 8 elevators. LOL

The density here is indeed insane. I'm not sure of who has the highest FSI in the city - I know 1200 Bay had the highest application density at 61 (here), but that application has gone quiet. This is probably the highest approved FSI. In terms of highest FSI globally, I would be very surprised if buildings in NYC don't have higher numbers, but those scale of towers are usually hyper-luxury buildings with very large units so the overall "people" density is actuall much lower.

Last edited:
I will say that this building is almost entirely small 1-bed units (75%), so average unit occupancy here is probably going to be quite low. It'll help mitigate the elevator issue a bit, but it's still pretty terrible, especially once you consider that these elevators have to service 99 floors of residential.

Here's a fun statistic: at median occupancy rates for apartments in the City of Toronto (1.7 people/unit), this will house approximately 2,193 people. This results in a density of 17,432 people per hectare.

The Kowloon Walled City, the world-famous vertical slum of Hong Kong, housed approximately 50,000 people on 2.6 hectares:

1280px-Kowloon_Walled_City_-_1989_Aerial.jpg

That results in a density of 19,230 people per hectare. Just 10% higher than what is proposed here.

The ground floor plan suggests the possibility of a dedicated service elevator although It's the same size as the passenger elevators. That would keep the passenger elevators free.

Planning for a plus 15 network on Bloor wouldn't be a bad thing. There's a similar proposal west of Bay and 55 Bloor's future is completely in BMOs hands. The building would be left completely vacant if they were to move.

This bite out of the south wall to provide more light and privacy between 19 Bloor and The Uptown is…

backgroundfile-243875-39-jpg.553360

…basically the stupidest thing I've seen since the movie Sausage Party. I was warned by friends, but I was still curious, and I paid the price, but now, this?!?!

Actually, it's not the bite that's the problem, it's the overhang above that says "our planning rules are so broken that we'll allow the most awkward looking building imaginable", and of course it's to cram as many people as possible onto the site because, yes, there's a housing shortage, but elevator shortage? Who cares about the residents' quality of life, as we've been too short-sighted to create sufficient protections for that. Argh.

This bite out of the south wall to provide more light and privacy between 19 Bloor and The Uptown is…

backgroundfile-243875-39-jpg.553360

…basically the stupidest thing I've seen since the movie Sausage Party. I was warned by friends, but I was still curious, and I paid the price, but now, this?!?!

Actually, it's not the bite that's the problem, it's the overhang above that says "our planning rules are so broken that we'll allow the most awkward looking building imaginable", and of course it's to cram as many people as possible onto the site because, yes, there's a housing shortage, but elevator shortage? Who cares about the residents' quality of life, as we've been too short-sighted to create sufficient protections for that. Argh.

Not to mention requirement to set aside certain % for 2 & 3 BR units, but without any specifications on minimum size of said units / BRs. So cram 2 BR into 550 sq ft or 3 BR into 700 sq ft. Basically, if the bedroom can fit a queen-sized mattress, you’re good to go! And of course, windows in the bedrooms are optional (maybe reserved for ‘premium suites’)

Not to mention requirement to set aside certain % for 2 & 3 BR units, but without any specifications on minimum size of said units / BRs. So cram 2 BR into 550 sq ft or 3 BR into 700 sq ft. Basically, if the bedroom can fit a queen-sized mattress, you’re good to go!

Aren't you ever the optimist? I was thinking 3bdrm each with a twin mattress, no frame, no side tables, overhead lighting only, no closet. Clothes are kept in the self-storage in Etobicoke!

Aren't you ever the optimist? I was thinking 3bdrm each with a twin mattress, no frame, no side tables, overhead lighting only, no closet. Clothes are kept in the self-storage in Etobicoke!
Fits a bunk bed (maybe triple bunk bed), stair located 2 inches from sliding door. 4 BR 600 sq ft, ‘family-sized’ requirement fulfilled.

Very surprised to see this project going ahead.

With the move towards WFH, is there any anecdotal evidence that rush-hour elevator line-ups have subsided?

Back