News   May 03, 2024
 491     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 314     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 176     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

hard working =/= lazy. my prejudice will change when i see an infrastructure job site where they dont have 4 people staring down at 1 person doing the job and where they dont take months to fix a curb just to cut it out and fix it again.
i work in the construction industry myself so i know a thing or 2 when it comes to constructing efficiently.
It’s a shame you didn’t win the bid, maybe I’d be posting from train on McCowan already.

It’s a shame you didn’t win the bid, maybe I’d be posting from train on McCowan already.
numbers dont lie... we are statistically one of the least productive countries in the developed world. theres a reason why others can get infrastructure built in less time it takes for us to finish "consultations" with the public.

numbers dont lie... we are statistically one of the least productive countries in the developed world. theres a reason why others can get infrastructure built in less time it takes for us to finish "consultations" with the public.

Productivity is lower in Canada because of low capital investment by corporations, because of low levels of competition in a very oligopolistic economy along with wage suppression (high wages trigger greater productivity investment); and finally because of low levels of vacation/high levels of work week.

Productivity is expressed as value of goods and services divided by hour of labour or unit of production.

Your read that it has something to do with laziness by front line workers is incorrect and not supported by the evidence.

Last edited:
Blaming unionized workers is lazy and wrong. Especially when many more productive nations are more heavily unionized.
It is the things unionization has brought that is seen as the problems.Things like working hours, safety, not having deaths, etc. For example, the saying that for the transcontinental, there was one dead Chinese man for every mile of track. Back then, that was acceptable. Now, that would shut a company down and the owners and shareholders would be in jail.

It is the things unionization has brought that is seen as the problems.Things like working hours, safety, not having deaths, etc. For example, the saying that for the transcontinental, there was one dead Chinese man for every mile of track. Back then, that was acceptable. Now, that would shut a company down and the owners and shareholders would be in jail.

We will look into easing safety regulations and labour restrictions when you start working in construction.

AoD

We will look into easing safety regulations and labour restrictions when you start working in construction.

AoD
Oh, I am not one who is wanting them gone. I was more pointing out why things have gotten so much harder in developed countries. There is a reason there are more people 'standing around'.

Yes, and a lot of is comes down to the number of deaths for a project needs to be zero.

No. A lot of it comes down to a lack of experience since we don't have a continuous workflow that keeps a skilled workforce continuously employed. Are you really going to suggest that our safety rules are exceptionally more stringent than Europe?

No. A lot of it comes down to a lack of experience since we don't have a continuous workflow that keeps a skilled workforce continuously employed. Are you really going to suggest that our safety rules are exceptionally more stringent than Europe?
Are you talking of the same Europe that hires migrant workers? The ones that will work for a fraction of the cost?
I know there are lots of reasons, not just a singular reason for why things cost so much and take so long. Safety is one of them.

Are you talking of the same Europe that hires migrant workers? The ones that will work for a fraction of the cost?
We've gone from safety to borderline bigoted complaints about "migrant workers", whatever that's supposed to mean.

I know there are lots of reasons, not just a singular reason for why things cost so much and take so long. Safety is one of them.

It's not like this isn't a big area of research of why costs are higher. Most famously Alon Levy's work. And guess what you won't find in there as a huge difference? Safety standards.

Last edited:
I imagine that low productivity is more a function of poor project management and bad governance.
A good example of that is the sheer number of consultants. Get rid of those and we might see things built faster. Like I said, there are many parts that cause things to become expensive and slow to build. I could probably list of 10 things and not even scratch the surface. Some of these are a burden, while others are important are are necessary if we want it done ethically.

Back