Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Yes, Villiers has not been perfect but the number of bike riders I have seen recently is really tiny and WT say that new Cherry & Commissioners will open on January 10 and 11. Better all is 'finished' with the new road before it opens and it will be huge improvement. The section of Old Cherry south of Polson is actually worse than Villiers but no real sign of much improvement there, yet. That section is NOT being done by WT, a combination of the City and Ports Toronto and the bascule bridge work will continue for all of 2024 - when they will be working on the metal superstructure..
Here is an update on the Bascule Bridge work that was recently posted by PortsToronto. See: https://www.portstoronto.com/portst...ronto-ship-channel-bridge-–-rehabilitati.aspx

They were tidying up the east sidewalks around the bridge last week and the bridge is now fully open to vehicle traffic.

"This project will modernize three key components of this ageing infrastructure. Phase 1 of the Ship Channel Bridge Rehabilitation Project will reach substantial completion in March 2024, and as a result, both the north and south roadway approaches to the bridge will re-open to vehicle traffic in early February 2024.

Phase 1 – Substantial completion in March 2024.
  1. Rehabilitation of the bridge north and south roadway approach spans.
Phase 2 – To commence in late 2024.
  1. Restoration of the Bascule lift bridge structure.
  2. Replacement of end of life mechanical and electrical lift systems.
The majority of work related to this phase of the project is limited to the winter months when the Ship Channel Bridge lift is not operational. It is expected that the overall project will be completed in 2027.

During this project , PortsToronto and the City of Toronto will ensure the continued safe transportation of cargo and goods across the Ship Channel Lift Bridge while maintaining marine, vehicle and pedestrian traffic along the various rights of way serviced by the bridge.

PortsToronto consults with the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation on all projects.

For project related enquiries, please contact shipchannelbridge@portstoronto.com.

Great photos as always! One unintended consequence of opening up access to this area south of the Gardiner is that it is now very prominent in a way that it wasn’t before and it is ugly! Lol here’s hoping that the hybrid option starts sooner rather than later.

Great shots everyone. This view from the CTV aerial coverage makes me really excited for the future of this area! Villiers Island combined with the area north of Keating Channel that will open up with the Gardiner relocation plus Quayside, East Harbour and the Eastern Port Lands -- we are building second downtown from scratch!! Is there an urban development with more exciting potential happening in North America right now? The importance of getting the architecture, public realm and transit access right cannot be understated!!
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 12.25.57 PM.png

Although I see hints of it here and there through the pics posted, but how is our waterfowl friends taking to the newly minted body of water?

Looking at this image below curtesy of this UT news story.

A few questions.

On the north east portion of the site there is seemingly a double bridge , is that replaced with a single bridge at this point ?
Is there still work required to connect the new inlet with the Keating channel and don river, same site as the double bridge, or is water slowly filling up there as well ?

1707070382952.png

This is by no means a comprehensive list but does give the size of some of the better known projects in Europe. From Wikipedia.

HafenCity: 220h, 12,000 residents, 40,000 workers
Nordhavn: 200h, 40,000 residents, 40,000 workers
Canary Wharf: 39h, 20,000 residents, 120,000 workers
Ijburg: 220h, 22,000 residents, ? workers
Blatchford: 536h, 35,000 residents, ? workers
Boston Seaport 202h, ? residents, ? workers
Montreal Harbourfront: 230h, 23,000 residents, ? workers

A question that I have is how to measure this project for comparison. I would include the East Bayfront as well as the West Don Lands but what to do about the East Harbour site?

Last edited:
This is by no means a comprehensive list but does give the size of some of the better known projects in Europe. From Wikipedia.

HafenCity: 220h, 12,000 residents, 40,000 workers
Nordhavn: 200h, 40,000 residents, 40,000 workers
Canary Wharf: 39h, 20,000 residents, 120,000 workers
Ijburg: 220h, 22,000 residents, ? workers

A question that I have is how to measure this project for comparison. I would include the East Bayfront as well as the West Don Lands but what to do about the East Harbour site?

I would probably include East Harbour - just because it is part of the general system of brownfield regeneration.

AoD

On the north east portion of the site there is seemingly a double bridge , is that replaced with a single bridge at this point ?
Is there still work required to connect the new inlet with the Keating channel and don river, same site as the double bridge, or is water slowly filling up there as well?

I assume they’ll remove Villiers and build that part of the river valley before introducing water to that link.

Similar to filling up a bathtub: the first minute, when the water covers the bottom, is the most obvious. Every minute thereafter sees more incremental change. Water is definitely rising daily here, but not as obvious as the first couple of days…but still wonderful to see. And terrific seeing so many people here now: dog walkers, photographers, urban explorers and runners’ clubs.

View attachment 537925

The river creates a really nice framing for the Hearn. Gives it so much more prominence. I hope one day it will be reinvigorated like the Battersea Power Station.

Although I see hints of it here and there through the pics posted, but how is our waterfowl friends taking to the newly minted body of water?
I heard bird call very close by while crossing the South Cherry St bridge this afternoon, but didn't see the bird itself. There are the usual cobra chickens in the area between the North Cherry St bridges and the Parliament Slip project area, and I assume seagulls spotted in the Don Greenway flood overflow area south of Commissioners.

20240126_155603-01.jpeg

1707088867999.png

I see today's progress has already been well documented, so I won't add my photos to the pile. I do have a question about the curious presence of noticeably larger rocks on the riverbed. They stick out of the water like a proverbial sore thumb, and it seems their presence isn't a random accident. Anyone know if they serve a particular function? Something to do with turbulent water flow? Anchors for plants? Habitats for wildlife?

20240204-183054.jpg

20240204-183207.jpg

20240204-183307.jpg

20240204-183347.jpg

Back