Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Yep, heard from my contact at WT last week that the official opening has been pushed off to Jan 10/11. I bike through there every day, and since it looks like we will have a mild December, I don't mind the delay that much. Last year, the worst days were when Villiers flooded and then froze into a skating rink. Hoping the really cold weather holds off at least until after we get the new bridges...

Thank you for sharing these incredible photos! Would you mind if we shared them on social media? We will be sure to credit you. Let us know if you have a handle you’d like us to tag.

We are all very excited about the road openings and the team is working hard to make sure it happens ASAP. We’re looking at January 10 for Cherry Street and January 11 for Commissioners Street. Not quite before end of year as we’d communicated, but this is because the team is being diligent in making sure the roads are ready to be opened safely.

We know that you have been dealing with an unpleasant detour daily for the last couple years, and we appreciate that this little extra wait is going to feel long. Thank you for your continued support on the project and your willingness to engage with us on these detours. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

We’re not planning to have a formal ribbon cutting event, but we are planning to have some kind of activation around the opening. We’ll share details in our newsletter and social media and I’ll be happy to send them on to you directly as well.

Attachments

• 20231215_074223-01.jpeg
    20231215_074223-01.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 25
Yep, heard from my contact at WT last week that the official opening has been pushed off to Jan 10/11. I bike through there every day, and since it looks like we will have a mild December, I don't mind the delay that much. Last year, the worst days were when Villiers flooded and then froze into a skating rink. Hoping the really cold weather holds off at least until after we get the new bridges...
What's the rush anyways at this point ? At least WT is communicating decently and not pulling out the Metrolinx card. Diligence definitely on their part for assuring that it won't be opened haphazardly. I'd like to think that WT does things right the first time (in most cases). In the meantime, just keep the anticipation building ! As for lack of a formal opening or ribbon cutting event ... perhaps on the opening day of Cherry St. a warming up along with a toast / pint at the Keating Channel Pub & Grill will do ... just saying.

Last edited:
What's the rush anyways at this point ?
It's not so much the rushing, but more that cyclists should not have to put up with yet another winter of riding along the Villiers detour with its poor drainage, uneven surfaces, and close proximity to heavy construction vehicles. The original opening date from earlier this summer was October 18. Then it was pushed back to "the end of the year", and now it is January 11. Fortunately, the weather has been quite mild so far. I'm crossing my fingers that dangerous black ice won't be an issue before the new bridges open.

It's not so much the rushing, but more that cyclists should not have to put up with yet another winter of riding along the Villiers detour with its poor drainage, uneven surfaces, and close proximity to heavy construction vehicles. The original opening date from earlier this summer was October 18. Then it was pushed back to "the end of the year", and now it is January 11. Fortunately, the weather has been quite mild so far. I'm crossing my fingers that dangerous black ice won't be an issue before the new bridges open.
Yes, Villiers has not been perfect but the number of bike riders I have seen recently is really tiny and WT say that new Cherry & Commissioners will open on January 10 and 11. Better all is 'finished' with the new road before it opens and it will be huge improvement. The section of Old Cherry south of Polson is actually worse than Villiers but no real sign of much improvement there, yet. That section is NOT being done by WT, a combination of the City and Ports Toronto and the bascule bridge work will continue for all of 2024 - when they will be working on the metal superstructure..

Will there be cherry trees along cherry street?
The maps show even the existing cherry stand being replaced with buildings. Not sure if anything has been planned. They're obviously going to be planting plenty of trees, but I'm not sure most of them have been specified yet?

Will there be cherry trees along cherry street?

In the plans I've seen, yes, though far from exclusively.

Nor should they all be one genus, as that makes all the trees vulnerable in the event of a pest or disease.

Of course, we'll have to see what actually shows up in planters, as last minute substitutions are a thing

In the plans I've seen, yes, though far from exclusively.

Nor should they all be one genus, as that makes all the trees vulnerable in the event of a pest or disease.

Of course, we'll have to see what actually shows up in planters, as last minute substitutions are a thing
I hope they keep / incorporate the parkette grounds with those dozen or so Sakura's at the NE corner of (current) Cherry / Villiers.
Screenshot_20231217_172442_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231217_172422_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231217_172223_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231217_172514_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Lakeshore Blvd east of Don running over to Carlaw is really weird.

The eastbound lanes sit nearly two feet higher than the westbound lanes.

I know the westbound lanes are still unfinished, but seem strange that they would be increased in height that much when they are.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll all sort itself out.

Hopefully when it's done they'll be only one car lane in each direction and all the other space will be trees, bike lanes, CAFETO tables and maybe Word on the Street. Down with cars!!! Am I right? ;)

Last edited:
Lakeshore Blvd east of Don running over to Carlaw is really weird.

The eastbound lanes sit nearly two feet higher than the westbound lanes.

I know the westbound lanes are still unfinished, but seem strange that they would be increased in height that much when they are.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll all sort itself out.

Hopefully when it's done they'll be only one car lane in each direction and all the other space will be trees, bike lanes, CAFETO tables and maybe Word on the Street. Down with cars!!! Am I right? ;)
One of the reasons they had to rebuild the Lake Shore bridge over the Don (and really why the whole bigger project is happening) is to allow water to get to Lake faster if there is a huge storm and I suspect the bridge was raised on eastbound lanes so water did not 'pile up' at it and that the westbound lanes will be similar.

Back